AUS Dangerous Ignorance Alert

Itzagift
Itzagift Member Posts: 13 Member

I’m now four days out from open incision hernia repair on (left side this time). This has provided me with a fifteenth abdominal/perineum scar. I’ve been on the operating table many times since my first AUS install. The scary aspect relative to MOST of these slice and dice adventures has been the surprising number of doctors and nurses that have had no idea what an AUS is or how it works.

I long ago started wearing a medic alert bracelet stating “NO CATHETER” until AUS is locked open. Personal experience has shown one has about a 50/50 chance of medics actually following up on the instruction data included on the bracelet. This is very dangerous to your wellbeing if you are not able to communicate directly with someone who may be about to shove a foley in you.

Because this operation was a scheduled voluntary one, I was able to tell EVERYONE associated with it to specifically write it on ALL the documents how and where to find the operating instructions. They take all “jewelry” off of you, so once you’re sedated you have to hope the personal danger to you has been well transmitted and understood.

Worldwide there are actually very few of us with this marvelous machine making our lives so much better. Don’t let someone’s lack of knowledge take you back to incontinence.

Comments

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 383 Member
    Notifying Medical Team of AUS

Yes, it is EXTREMELY important that your medical team be aware of your AUS, prior to going into any surgery.  I play back the 'game' to the medical team in the pre-op room, that the medical team is forced to play with you.  I ask each and every member of the operating medical team, every time that they approach me for any reason, while I'm on the gurney.  "What implant do I have that is important for you to know about?"

• Fleet Foot
    Fleet Foot Member Posts: 23 Member

Itzagift, thanks. My urologist/surgeon has suggested I get an AUS for some time now due to my "leakage". I've refused every time. I don't want anyone else intruding on my fragile bod. Your notice about the dangers of having an AUS and possibly needing emergency attention scared the crap out of me. I made the right decision. Thanks again.

• Itzagift
    Itzagift Member Posts: 13 Member

I don't mean to suggest to any of my fellow "leakers" that one should NOT have an AUS installed just because of the wide spread ignorance of medical personnel. Dangers of living surround us every day. I've been cautioned many times that at age 79, riding my usual 100-125 miles a week with my 50+ member (very buff) geriatric bicycle group is too dangerous. After all the years of riding together...they all know about my AUS medic alert bracelet, instructional wallet card and the need to forcefully instruct medics to attend to them. While I've contemplated many times over the 10+ years of having (several) AUS's, I've not yet had the courage to get a permanent belly tattoo. A big red circle with a bar and words "NO CATH-SEE INSTRUCTIONS" will be my personal choice if it can be fitted between the cross hatch of scars already there.

After my RRP in 2000 (and the following 12 years of almost complete incontinence), getting that first AUS was a life changing event. Even after several revisions...if necessary, I'll do it again in a heartbeat. Ultimately each individual has to weigh the risks and rewards of any type of implant. I long ago did a hard push on the reward balance.

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 383 Member

Itzagift,

I am extremely happy that you clarified your original post. My AUS 800 has been an absolute gamechanger in my life, and without it, I'd be stuck in my home, afraid to leave it for more than 2 hours at a time. Yes, there is the risk that I may become incapacitated in some way, unable to speak, and require immediate medical attention that may involve a catheter, but I will gladly take that risk any day, to get my normal quality of life back.

• Fleet Foot
    Fleet Foot Member Posts: 23 Member

Itzagift and Joseph,

I completely understand. Should I ever opt for the AUS, very doubtful, I would first opt for an enlarged version of Itza's belly tat!