If I've had double mastectomies, do I still need to have mammograms?

Seatalie
Seatalie Member Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

I had double mastecomies this past summer and I have a health care reminder for my regular annual mammogram screening for December. I will be meeting w/my oncologist in a few weeks, but was curious - do mammograms capture more in the images than just the breast tissue that I had removed?

My oncology report from what was removed during surgery was hopeful. I think they said my "margins" were very clear from what what they removed from my chest and underarm lymph nodes. But what can I expect in the future for screening? If you can respond and let me know what your experience was/is I would really appreciate it! I know that these are questions that I will have to address w/my oncologist in a few weeks, but I'm scared and will probably feel overwhelmed when I have that appointment and think it would help calm me a little to hear from others about their screening maintenance.

Many thanks!
-Natalie in Seattle

Comments

• Judemo
    Judemo Member Posts: 167 Member
    I had double mastectomy too

Hi Natalie.  Sorry to hear of your situation and I hate to hear your scared.  I find getting educated about our health situation is the best way to fight fear.  Also, sharing with others who have gone through this helps so much!  I had double mastectomy about a month ago and it is my understanding that when you have double mastectomy you don't need to have future mammograms.  I did not get reconstruction, did you?  Did your surgeon talk about what to expect going forward for you?  I had IDC and DCIS and was recommended to go on Tamoxifen.  Follow ups with the medical oncologist wil be in my future but I don't think I will need any imaging.  I hope others will chime in.  

What was your experience like after you got home from the hospital?  How was your healing process?  Mine has been a nightmare.  How are you feeling?

• Elaine_wi
    Elaine_wi Member Posts: 124 Member
    No mammograms

I had a double mastectomy five years ago and no imaging has been necessary. From my understanding there is no need for mammograms because there is no breast tissue left. I have had healthcare providers remind me to do mammograms and I just laugh at them and explain my situation. They are in the habit of reminding people and may not neccessarily be aware of your complete medical record. Nothing to worry about. I see my oncologist every six months for routine blood work. I chose DIEP flap reconstruction. My life is very much back to normal - even better than before.

• Sarahst33
    Sarahst33 Member Posts: 1 Member

Hi! I had DMX and DIEP procedure on 11/3. Thank you for the information of no mammos needed. What about our remaining skin. I have heard it can reoccur there. Just monitor and feel for lumps? Also - I am at the inbetween of cancer life and post cancer life. As hard as it was for me to adjust to life with cancer (it happened so fast like the rug pulled out from under me), it is now hard for with to adjust to life without. I almost feel guilty for feeling this way. I mean, I’m cancer free!! But getting back to a normal routine is proving to be difficult. Any advice would be appreciated:).

• gibby13
    gibby13 Member Posts: 5 Member

Hi! I had a double mastectomy without any reconstruction. My surgeon said I would see him in the office every 6 months for a physical examination to check for any lumps. Though the breasts are removed, there could always be microscopic breast tissue left behind. Double mastectomy patients can have a breast cancer recurrence, sadly so you need to continue with physical exams rather than mammograms or X rays.

Life changes forever once you have been diagnosed with cancer. I am a little less than a year out from my BC diagnosis and I find it difficult to look forward. I can always find something to complain about but I have to be grateful that I wake up in the mornings to a new day. There are sooo many people you can find who are worse off than yourself. Give yourself time to heal physically and emotionally. Share your feelings with a close friend/family member or join a support group. I have a friend who had the DIEP procedure and is also having a difficult time recovering but she has a great attitude and is always there to help others. That seems to be what gets her through it all. Stay strong!