Newly diagnosed

Options
13»

Comments

• LeeColonCancer2021
    LeeColonCancer2021 Member Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Hi Kalee,

Thanks for the reply! I went through the surgery at Oct 20 without a stoma.

Looking back, the surgery recovery was fast to me. Probably only a week or two, and the pain medication did help.

I ended up having 3 individually developed cancer in the colon, and the left semi-colectomy take them all out. With multiple high-risk factors, I know the recurrence chance (direct Stage 4 metastasis or local recurring) is around 20%-25% each. But the combined recurrence chance is not simple math of 20%*3 or (1-80%^3, if you know the probability of single events) to calculate.

Every opinion I asked told me that I have to do chemo, and I'm going to start this on Dec 8 with CAPOX, two days later. It's been even more complicated with fertility concerns, as it does cause short- and long-term damages to fertility, but yes, survival is more important.

Thank you very much for the support and encouragement! It is very important to me! I'll be fighting for this chemo in the next few months:)

• kalee0221
    kalee0221 Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Please keep me updated if you’re comfortable. I am rooting for you always.

• LeeColonCancer2021
    LeeColonCancer2021 Member Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Thanks a lot!

I do have a constant low HGB/MCV/MCH/MCHC before surgery, but after 6 weeks, the HGB and MCV have returned to normal, and MCH/MCHC have been up to near the lower boundary.

I found this research called "Mean Corpuscular Volume as a Predictive Factor of Response to Preoperative Chemoradiotherapy in Locally Advanced Rectal Cancer" https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29743887/ It's a rectal cancer research from China in 2018 (a little different from colon cancer) with only 55 sample size, when they have 125,000 rectal cancer patients every year. And this "locally advanced" is very confusing. They probably needs more data to get a solid conclusion.

But yes, the MCV needs to be bought up. I'm taking a multivitamins including fiber supplements. Instead of beta-glucan, I was taking psyllium (Metamucil). I probably should compare them.

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

Hi, Lee. Just checking in and seeing your posts. As I mentioned in another post today, I was diagnosed at Stage 1 in 2007, so I just had surgery at that time. I did not have it laparoscopically, so it took awhile to recover. I did well until 2021, when diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Surprise! I am just telling you this to say that during all the time of my journey with the two cancers, I have done well emotionally until the day I started chemo for the pancreatic cancer. I broke down like a baby that day. It all just seemed so REAL. I pulled it togethe after that and have been doing well. I hope you are! I also hope you are now depending on the comfort and support of your parents.

• lwahlen54
    lwahlen54 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

So sorry to hear your story.. similar to mine in a way .. I underwent emergent open abdominal surgery and lived with a colostomy for a year . It is certainly an adjustment , but there are so many resources out there to help . You are young so that will work in your favor in regards to recovering from surgery . Just remember you will have good days and days where you will want to scream and throw the ostomy supplies across the room . That’s ok. You can always reach out to me with any questions. Ive also undergone chemo .. good luck. You got this !