Gerd in head and neck cancer

Rk123
Rk123 Member Posts: 5 Member
edited November 2022 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

My mother aged 71 years is having pyriform fossa cancer extending to upper esophagus. She I having chemo radiation as the treatment. She had 17 radiation and 2 chemo.

Now she is suffering with gastro reflux every time the whole day. Any way to handle it. Anyone experienced this

Also it will be good if anyone knows about the upcoming challenges in advance as she will have 35 radiation and 7 chemo in total.

Thanks a lot in advance

Comments

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    Wrong Forum

They have a separate Forum for Esophageal. H&N covers the mouth and throat, but also the windpipe instead of the esophagus.

Sorry to hear about her problems.

• LitlCJdoll
    LitlCJdoll Member Posts: 245 Member
    Piriform Fossa IS head & Neck cancer

Hello Rk,

Yes, the Piriform Fossa, where her cancer Originated is in the Hypopharynx.  Its right beside the vocal cords. How do I know so much about it?? Because I have a Mass in my right side Piriform Fossa, and I've had Laser surgery there twice.

So yes, because her cancer Originated there in the Hypopharynx, its Head & Neck cancer, no matter Where it spreads to next.

When my G I doctor found this mass in my Piriform Fossa, whom did he call immediately?? One of my 2 Head & Neck surgeons.

You are in the right place!  You can also look for answers and post anywhere else you like within this network. There are even Caregiver forums here.

GERD/ Reflux----- Yes, its so painful plus it will further inflame the throat!!  Just tell her doctors and see if they will write a prescription for a PPI ( Proton pump inhibitor medicine) or whatever they think best one for her.

I take Protonix. Prescription liquid that comes from the hospital compounding pharmacy.  It easily goes through my G tube/ feeding tube every 12 hours. Also, if I'm having breakthrough Reflux, my doctor will tell me to up my dose Or to add a specific over the counter one, like Pepcid AC.

Ask her doctors!

Crystal

• LitlCJdoll
    edited September 2021 #4
    Logan51 said:

Wrong Forum

They have a separate Forum for Esophageal. H&N covers the mouth and throat, but also the windpipe instead of the esophagus.

Sorry to hear about her problems.

One of the most dangerous

To Logan, 

Oh all the locations for Head & Neck cancer, the Piriform Fossa, there beside the vocal cords is one of the most dangerous .  why? Because to surgically reach it requires Skull Base surgery.

Only very specialized Head & Neck surgeons are trained in Skull Base surgeries.  My lead surgeon, who is internationally acclaimed is one of them. J.Dale Browne, MD.

Crystal

https://www.wakehealth.edu/Providers/B/J-Dale-Browne#.YU910QIS8dQ.yahoomail

If you can bring up this link, please watch his Video.

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member
    Acid Reflux

RK, 

Three years ago, I asked for an Endoscopy since several people I know had Esophageal cancer. Afterwards I was told I had Barrett's Syndrom and was put on Omeprazole (Prilosec) 40MG once a day. It has been a big relief for me and I not eating Tums like they are candy. 

I hope things go smoothly for your Mom.

My Best to Both of You and Everyone Here

• LitlCJdoll
    Logan51 said:

sorry if I'm wrong

Hope you get the help and answers you need.

Look it up

Hello dear Logan,

Look up the term Piriform Fossa,or Piriform Sinus.  In this case, the word Sinus ( or Fossa) means a recessed cavity.

it's a recessed area, on either side of the Vocal Cords.   When you look it up, it will show the Anatomy of the area.  

anything and everything in the Hypopharynx is 100% in the Head and neck.  It's directly beside/ and connected to your Vocal Cords. 

In Head & Neck cancer, it's considered a very dangerous place because just as I said before, surgically it's very difficult to get to. They have to go through ones Skull Base.

The Mass in my right Piriform Fossa was found as my doctor was advancing an Endoscope.  He goes through miy Mouth, takes photos there of anything of note, then advances down to my Vocal Cords, and looks there as well.  That's what he found, a mass growing.. He woke me up in Recovery by shaking my shoulders, saying " Crystal!! Wake up!  There's a mass beside your Vocal Cords and I've already called Dr. Wright! "  He handed me the photos of it.  What a great way to wake up, eh?

Why didn't he go ahead and biopsy it then?? Because it's not His area.  It's Dr. Wright's area (Voice & Swallowing disorders).  Dr. Clayton has biopsied several abnormal growths in my esophagus, because that's His area.

That day he immediately called Dr. Wright, then e mailed him the photos of the mass. Dr. Wright biopsied it. And I've had Laser CO2 ablation twice. It keeps coming back!!  

Anyway, it has an odd name, that area, but look it up and you will see it's Head & Neck,right  there with the Vocal cords.   

I Cannot help it that I know, from first hand experience.  My entire Team is upset, by this finding in me.  

Crystal  

• LitlCJdoll
    One more point

Logan, 

Rk said that the Cancer Spread from her Piriform Fossa, to the esophagus.

In other words it Metastacized. 

Okay, lots of people get confused on this point so I will try to explain::

Randal's Base of Tongue hpv positive SqCC Tumor metastasized to his Liver ( and spinal vertabrae, and right Hip Bone, and surrounded his Gall Bladder). He had 6 tumors in his Liver, and they had spread from Base of Tongue site.

Does that mean he had " Liver cancer ". ?  No, he had Head & Neck cancer that metastasized ( to multiple sites).

Primary liver cancer is altogether different.  It's called Heptocellular Carcinoma. HCC.   

How can doctors tell the difference?  By Biopsy. They look at the cells, and they can tell if it's from that base of Tongue SqCC tumor, or conversely if it's Primary Liver cancer. They study the cells in pathology lab and they can see the difference.

I typed this while doing my Nebulizer breathing treatment, typing with one finger while breathing in my drugs. Now I'm finished . 

Adios,

Crystal

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    edited September 2021 #8
    sorry if I'm wrong

Hope you get the help and answers you need.

• johnsonbl
    johnsonbl Member Posts: 266 Member
    Your physicians should be able to assist you...

Have you asked them?  At any rate, it's not a surprise that acid reflux is a problem in that area.  As others have said omeprazole 40mg/day (or maybe more if it's over a short period) might help.  Do ask your provider though.  High dose over a long period of time can cause other problems.

Also, what diet changes have you made?  Switch to decaf?  Avoid alcohol?  Don't eat before bed...avoid acidic foods.  Try and prop up on some pillows while sleeping to keep the acid down.  Just some suggestions.

Good luck!

Brandon

• tiatia11
    tiatia11 Member Posts: 5 Member

Hi Crystal,

I just found this website and your posts. How are you doing?

I had an endoscopy last week for a lump in the throat I have felt for a few months, have a history of GERD, esophageal stricture, hiatal hernia. My gastro found a growth in the pyriform sinus, he called it a polyp. It is around 5 mm and no biopsy was taken. I have an ENT appointment the 29th. The gastro says he is not too worried and the appointment doesn't neet to be moved up. I think he does not understand how dangerous this might be. I have googled the diagnosis and realize this is not looking promising for me. Would you mind sharing your opinion and suggestions.

• DarcyS
    DarcyS Member Posts: 81 Member

Tiatia11,

Sorry, but one of the members recently posted that Crystal passed away in Sept. 2022.

I can maybe be of some help or offer hope. My husband is doing great 10 years after treatment of SSC of the Piriform Sinus. It took a few months for him to be properly diagnosed. It appears the location of the piriform sinus makes it difficult to diagnose. We went to the University of Chicago for his treatment. They are a highly rated hospital for head and neck cancer.

This site is filled with compassionate and knowledgeable people who can offer great advice and encouragement if you need it. You wrote your gastro did not appear concerned and I hope the ent shares this opinion.

• tiatia11

Thanks so much for your reply! Very sorry to hear that Crystal has passed away, so it is very encouraging to me that your husband is doing great 10 years after treatment! Congratulations 😃

I live Illinois, thank you for sharing that he received the right treatment at the University of Chicago.

I started to feel a lump in my throat about two months ago. Have a history of severe GERD, esophageal stricture, irregular z line, hiatal hernia so I went to my gastro, who found it via scope. He stressed that my lump sensation has nothing to do with the tumor, that it is so small, he isn't concerned and the ENT appointment for 11/29 does not need to be moved up. I even asked for a CT scan while waiting and he said if indicated the ENT can order it. Seems like my gastro has no idea what we are dealing with. Tried to find another ENT, but he was booked until the beginning of February. It sure seems like the lump sensation is caused by the 5mm tumor, what are your thoughts on this?

May I please ask a few more questions? If that is too much, I certainly understand. Has your husband been on a certain diet since treatment, Keto or vegan, etc? Has he made any other lifestyle changes since receiving treatment? Are you in contact with other pyriform sinus cancer patients? I found only one person in a Facebook group that had SSC in this particular location.

I apologize for the many questions, but I am just so thankful to have found someone who has beat this particular cancer.

I wish you and your husband all the best!

• DarcyS

I'd be happy to answer your questions. I know you are worried about the waiting for appointments, that is normal. I remember those days well. I don't know the specifics of your tumor and if it is causing your discomfort. My husband's journey started with swollen lymph nodes.

When my husband was diagnosed he was a very healthy and physically fit 55 yr old. He always ate a healthy and mostly plant based diet before and after treatment. He was able to run almost the entire time and started again 2 months after treatment ended. He hasn't made any lifestyle changes after treatment, he just resumed doing what he did before. The cancer diagnosis was a huge surprise given his health.

I have not found another person with this particular type of cancer, but his treatment was very similar to other head and neck cancer.

Hope you get some answers soon!

• tiatia11

I am so glad and thankful you are here to tell your husband's encouraging story! Thank you for your support and help. I will post as I find out more about my situation and treatment. I am sure I have a long road ahead of me. Thanks again for answering my countless questions so patiently! Wishing you and your husband the very best!

• DarcyS

Sorry, forgot to mention this in my last post. I think starting a new thread/post will help you get others on this site to answer. Your first post was on one from over a year ago. Maybe there are now others on this site with cancer of the piriform sinus or some of your other health concerns.