Cannot eat/drink anything at all

Rk123
Rk123 Member Posts: 5 Member

Hi

My mother a breast cancer survivor is suffering from esophagus plus pyriform sinus cancer. She had the 3rd Radiation yesterday and now she cannot eat or drink anything. It looks like to her that her throat is totally jammed. Please give us some idea ok how to handle it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 467 Member
    Feeding Tube

is an option. I went thru tx over 12 years ago with one. The old G-tube is not as bad as one might think. I've been FT-dependent for the last 2+ years, again. 

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited August 2021 #3
    I'm With Logan

If your mom can't eat at all then she is going to need a feeding tube put in till she can get through the treatment and recovery period and be able to start eating again.

Contact her doctors immediately.

Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• LitlCJdoll
    LitlCJdoll Member Posts: 245 Member
    She needs immediate help

Hello RK,

Pllease do not delay getting your mother immediate help.  In fact, you may well need to take her to the Emergency Dept. Call her doctors ahead, and tell them you are taking her in.

I myself experienced this. And what will happen if allowed to go on, can be devastating ... She is dehydrated, and the malnutrition will begin to affect.her blood counts, and in the setting of getting her radiation treatment, this is a problem.

If she gets too sick, the treatments will be stopped and then where does that put her in terms of getting rid of that cancer in her Hypopharynx ( Piriform Fossa) ??  See, it can have consequences ...

Did they offer to place a feeding tube in her, before radiation treatments were begun?  That would have been best scenario, given she already has breast cancer too.

Oh, I am so sorry she is experiencing all this. But please do not delay.  As I said, I would take her in to the Emergency Dept. The sooner the better.  This is an emergency situation for someone going through cancer treatments.

Take care, ?

Crystal

• Chillg8r
    Chillg8r Member Posts: 85 Member
    The best decision I made

The best decision I made during treatment was getting the feeding tube. It took away all of the stress associated with getting nutrition. I went through 6 or 7 bottles of boost plus everyday, easy peasy. 

• Rk123
    wbcgaruss said:

I'm With Logan

If your mom can't eat at all then she is going to need a feeding tube put in till she can get through the treatment and recovery period and be able to start eating again.

Contact her doctors immediately.

Take Care-God Bless-Russ

Feeding tube done

Hi

With all god Grace my mom had successful gastrostomy and she now have button placed. Soon we will start with treatment of radiation plus chemotherapy again.

• wbcgaruss
    Rk123 said:

Feeding tube done

Hi

With all god Grace my mom had successful gastrostomy and she now have button placed. Soon we will start with treatment of radiation plus chemotherapy again.

Well Thank God

Everything went well and she had a successful procedure and can now get all the nourishment and hydration she needs.
    Probably all medications will need to go in there for now.
    I am glad her treatment is now back on track and you guys are moving forward again.
    This is a bump in the road.
    You will get through this.
    I have had a feeding tube twice and they are a lifesaver when you need them.
    I am glad she has a loving family looking after her.
    Please do keep us updated on her treatment progress.
    Wishing You The Best-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• Rk123
    edited September 2021 #8
    wbcgaruss said:

Well Thank God

Everything went well and she had a successful procedure and can now get all the nourishment and hydration she needs.
    Probably all medications will need to go in there for now.
    I am glad her treatment is now back on track and you guys are moving forward again.
    This is a bump in the road.
    You will get through this.
    I have had a feeding tube twice and they are a lifesaver when you need them.
    I am glad she has a loving family looking after her.
    Please do keep us updated on her treatment progress.
    Wishing You The Best-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

Thanks Russ

Sure will keep you updated with her treatment. We will start with radiation on Wednesday-Thursday this week 

• wbcgaruss
    Rk123 said:

Thanks Russ

Sure will keep you updated with her treatment. We will start with radiation on Wednesday-Thursday this week 

Thanks For The Update

Rk it is appreciated.

Your fellow H&N folks here at CSN will support you in any way we can.

Wishing you the best-Take care-God Bless-Russ