white spot on tongue

Hello, my name is Janice and I am a bit nervous about a painful, white spot on my tongue.  I have just noticed this yesterday while working.  It hurts and I am constantly rubbing it against my teeth.  It is extremely sore. I am wondering who to seek out regarding this. I am thinking of seeing ENT, but am unsure.  I am no stranger to mouth ulcers, which happen often enough.  Thanks!

Comments

• bird253
    bird253 Member Posts: 2
    white spot on tongue

Hello, my name is Janice and I am a bit nervous about a painful, white spot on my tongue.  I have just noticed this yesterday while working.  It hurts and I am constantly rubbing it against my teeth.  It is extremely sore. I am wondering who to seek out regarding this. I am thinking of seeing ENT, but am unsure.  I am no stranger to mouth ulcers, which happen often enough.  Thanks!

• ozymandible
    ozymandible Member Posts: 324 Member
    When I got a spot like that

When I got a spot like that on my tongue my dentist referred me to an ENT for a biopsy.  I had many biopsies over about a twelve year period before I was finally diagnosed with cancer.  Even if you wind up being monitored for twelve years stay on top of it.  I kind of put off my ENT visits because of Covid restrictions and wish I hadn't maybe my cancer wouldn't have been so far along when it was finally diagnosed.

Try not to worry too much about it but get it done as soon as possible please.

Ozy

• ProustLover
    ProustLover Member Posts: 121 Member
    edited August 2021 #4
    Ozy is right

Hi, Janice:  My husband's white patch was monitored for seven years before biopsy showed cancer.  Try not to worry, but get it checked out.  ENT is good place to start. or go to cancer center if you have one in your area.  That's what we did, and that'swhere he ended up getting treatment.  

• johnsonbl
    johnsonbl Member Posts: 266 Member
    Could be one of a million things...

If it literally started yesterday I'd give it a couple of days.  If it gets significantly worse or doesn't resolve...then go to your primary care physician.  They will advise you on what to do.  No need to go straight to an ENT.

• LitlCJdoll
    LitlCJdoll Member Posts: 245 Member
    johnsonbl said:

Could be one of a million things...

If it literally started yesterday I'd give it a couple of days.  If it gets significantly worse or doesn't resolve...then go to your primary care physician.  They will advise you on what to do.  No need to go straight to an ENT.

Brandon is correct

Yep, it could be any of a multitude of things... Oral thrush causes " white spots" in the mouth.  Right now, its in my mouth ( primary immunodeficiency plus cancer & treatments = chronic thrush. In spite of taking 4 different treatments) Oral Lichen Planus can present in different ways, sometimes with white lesions.  I have long history of that...

Also, I have Pre malignant Filmy Leukoplakia , diagnosed first of this year. Plus Mucosotis which nothing touches.  Red, inflamed and painful. Etc. None of those are malignant. 

Yet..

My SqCC is Recurrent. 5 times now, in different places ( I need to update my profile).  A new Primary tumor came up 9 months after my radiation treatments.  I could readily see it was up to no good but I watched it for 3 months... Finally, one day at the Cancer Center I ran into my Medical Oncologist in the elevators. So, I showed it to her!! It was front floor of mouth, big enough to be readily visible. She said " you better get in to see Dr Browne!"  ( my surgeon).  Hmm.. My boyfriend agreed with her.  But next person I saw was 2 months later and that was my Radiation Oncologist. He was upset, took photos of it and sent to head & neck surgery dept.  

This wasn't a " white spot" ---- this was a Lump, a growth, a mass. First biopsy of it was " "Atypical squamous proliferation. Complex architecture etc ...benign."

Okay, but then after the biopsy, it began growing rapidly. I mean so fast. This is gross but it was so big I was chewing against it....It quadrupled in size in a week or so. I e-mail my surgeon one night and told him that it had grown into / invaded my reconstructed tongue flap.  Only, he didn't want to hear that!  He said " you mean its adjacent to the flap"

I said "Ah, no.... Its now attached to, growing into the flap . "

2 more surgeries, the last one " very extensive" . The first surgery, he cut it out and sent to Pathology ---- so, it was malignant ---- " Invasive Squamous Cell Carcinoma, deep Positive Margins, Keratinizing tumor..."    So, it finally showed its true identity.  The stupid thing grew Deep 5 mm through floor of mouth and then upward into the flap. These 2 surgeries were only 3 weeks apart, and that tumor was already visibly growing back, Visibly, after the first surgery. And it ulcerated too.  Unbelievable how fast it grew...  

Hint ----I was born without a complete immune system, thus my system does not do Immune Surveillance too well... My Lymphocytes are low, my antibodies, my T Cells are low, that includes NKC Natural Killer Cells.  

Thus, my body cannot protect itself from cancer. Incomplete immune system, from birth. Very rare...

Bird, if you do not have a history of cancer, and wish to get it looked at soon, either your dentist/ oral surgeon could check it out.  Someone trained to look at mouth lesions. Good luck and do not panic.  

? Its the truth that in all likelihood its something benign. 

Crystal