New cancer on the opposite side from 5 years ago

MJG1
MJG1 Member Posts: 137 Member

OK>..We know we have tongue cancer on the left middle area of the tongue....and we know we face a glossectomy and flap.  BUT I am afraid he has more than we know as he is having the same ear, temple, estation tube, trouble swallowing, and jaw ache that he had when he was diagnosed in 2016.  This just hit me and now I'm completely freaked out thinking we may be facing even more.  

The Soft tissue CT on JULY 8 totally missed the tongue cancer so what else could it  have missed.  My hubby gets another soft tissue on Wed as well as a PET.  Lordy, this is HARD.

Comments

• LitlCJdoll
    LitlCJdoll Member Posts: 245 Member
    edited August 2021 #2
    The PET

Hi Margi,

The PET, using the intravenous contrast, is what his team is waiting for. It will show if there are other hot spots, beyond that recurrence. All of his doctors depend on the PET for planning, from surgical to radiation. I know you said, though, that he's had his lifetime max, 5 years ago. 

So, yes, that PET is the best one for seeing all that's going on.  

I always look forward to my scans. Yes, that sounds odd because so many people hate them.  Well, I don't !  Again, consider me weird if you want to.... It's just that I WANT to know what's going on.  " Have those 2 lesions on my Spleen grown any? What about my liver ? " etc.  I want to know!

I feel Better knowing all I'm up against and the PET, I think, is the gold standard in finding, and helping with Staging ones cancer as well.

And of course then there's the Good results too, when it shows treatment is working!!

PET is the Opportunity for his treatment to begin, in a knowledgeable way.

Wishing Dennis all the best possible news!

Crystal

• LitlCJdoll
    LitlCJdoll Member Posts: 245 Member
    The PET

Hi Margi,

Ignore this one. It was a misfire !

• MJG1
    MJG1 Member Posts: 137 Member

The PET

Hi Margi,

The PET, using the intravenous contrast, is what his team is waiting for. It will show if there are other hot spots, beyond that recurrence. All of his doctors depend on the PET for planning, from surgical to radiation. I know you said, though, that he's had his lifetime max, 5 years ago. 

So, yes, that PET is the best one for seeing all that's going on.  

I always look forward to my scans. Yes, that sounds odd because so many people hate them.  Well, I don't !  Again, consider me weird if you want to.... It's just that I WANT to know what's going on.  " Have those 2 lesions on my Spleen grown any? What about my liver ? " etc.  I want to know!

I feel Better knowing all I'm up against and the PET, I think, is the gold standard in finding, and helping with Staging ones cancer as well.

And of course then there's the Good results too, when it shows treatment is working!!

PET is the Opportunity for his treatment to begin, in a knowledgeable way.

Wishing Dennis all the best possible news!

Crystal

Thanks

Ya, I know the PET will give us answers...I actually just learned from a friend that works in radiation therapy that the MRI offers more accuracy than the PET....I also read that the soft tissue CT has only 70% accuracy rate.