Five Year Post Exam

AnotherSurvivor
AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
edited August 2021 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Five Year Post exam today.  Clear. NED.

I do not feel like I "beat" cancer.  I think we fought to a draw, and I hope to avoid a re-match.

I  started Stage 2, SCC +HPV-16.  I received 35 IMRT, and 5 Carbo Taxol.  I was scheduled for 7, but by the end was so beat-up we decided to rely on just the radiation.

I started at 235 lbs, ended at 177 lbs, no tube.  Boxer shorts weight this morning was 193 lbs.  I set a limit of 195, at that point stricter diet and more exercise start.  My major gift, other than coming out alive, was the loss of 40 lbs.  

I have occasional muscle spasms in my jaw, especially when I forget to exercise.  I use Xylimelts daily, tho the quantity has dropped over the last five years.

I met many very fine people along the way, including on this site.

Good luck, and have faith in the possibilities.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    All I Can Say Is

Congratulations, ye-hah, yippee-yahoo-yay, hooray, etc., etc.
    Can't say enough good things about a NED report (No Evidence Of Disease)
    Especially at the 5-year mark Hallelujah.
    We celebrate with you.
    Makes you want to jump for joy.
    Again Congratulations-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

Jumping for joy

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 177 Member
    wbcgaruss said:

All I Can Say Is

Congratulations, ye-hah, yippee-yahoo-yay, hooray, etc., etc.
    Can't say enough good things about a NED report (No Evidence Of Disease)
    Especially at the 5-year mark Hallelujah.
    We celebrate with you.
    Makes you want to jump for joy.
    Again Congratulations-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

Jumping for joy

Exam

Congrats on reaching the 5yr mark with a clear exam! I like the wording of not wanting a rematch. Great news.

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 483 Member
    AS,

It's ALWAYS great to see the NED's on here - especially a 5-year milestone like yours!

I'm only just past 2 years, and I also get spasms in my neck occasionally. It's nothing too bad, and I suspect that will probably always be there, at this point.

I too am maintaining a lower weight - probably around 25 pounds of pre-treatment. I find that food tastes OK, and occasionally good - but it never tastes so great that I eat something (like a third piece of pizza), just because it tastes so great.

Again, I"m glad to hear your news, and another advantage of Cancer (I know they are few) is that it changes one's outlook. I hope you're enjoying life, this weekend!

MG

• MJG1
    MJG1 Member Posts: 137 Member
    Congratulations!

You are truly blessed.  Stay healthy!

Dennis and Margi

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 323 Member
    edited August 2021 #6
    Congrats on the 5 yr NED!

I like the boxing analogy, too.  Looking forward to hearing about 10 years, then 15, etc.  

• Remington25
    Remington25 Member Posts: 93 Member
    edited August 2021 #7
    Congrats! Such a Milestone!

I'm only about 7-8 months out of treatment but have a second post treatment scan scheduled for October.