Maintaining nutrition during cisplatin therapy

11Balboa
11Balboa Member Posts: 13 Member

What did anyone do to maintain adequate nutrition when you had cisplatin therapy And the loss of taste due to it.  My boyfriend may be undergoing it again as follow up to upcoming surgery. He had a g-tube put in the first time around mainly due to radiation effects, but this time radiation not an option. Hoping to avoid another g-tube for loss of taste due to the cisplatin.....any foods , shakes, recipes, solutions...thank you all.

Comments

• BeagleDad
    BeagleDad Member Posts: 108 Member
    Nutrition

My issue was lack of energy and desire to eat or consume.  Eventually my wife and I decicded to pour an Ensure in my feeding tube bag and then fill the rest with water.  That way I got some nutrition while hydrating.  There is NO WAY I would have been able to stay hydrated or fed had it not been for that tube.  Good luck to your boyfriend.  

(Are you sure it is Cisplatin that removed his taste?  Pretty sure for me it was the radiation killing the taste buds .....)

Don AKA Beagledad

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 446 Member
    edited August 2021 #3
    Boost

But as noted somewhere else - Boost or ensure- carnation instant breakfast, protein powder, full fat ice cream,  banana, ice, whizz it all together, just sip it all day as much as possible

• 11Balboa
    BeagleDad said:

Nutrition

My issue was lack of energy and desire to eat or consume.  Eventually my wife and I decicded to pour an Ensure in my feeding tube bag and then fill the rest with water.  That way I got some nutrition while hydrating.  There is NO WAY I would have been able to stay hydrated or fed had it not been for that tube.  Good luck to your boyfriend.  

(Are you sure it is Cisplatin that removed his taste?  Pretty sure for me it was the radiation killing the taste buds .....)

Don AKA Beagledad

Thank you! Yes, radiation did

Thank you! Yes, radiation did a number on his taste buds...the cisplatin then made everything taste like metal. 

• 11Balboa
    SuzJ said:

Boost

But as noted somewhere else - Boost or ensure- carnation instant breakfast, protein powder, full fat ice cream,  banana, ice, whizz it all together, just sip it all day as much as possible

Thank you for the help and

Thank you for the help and advice, sounds good.

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 483 Member
    11Balboa,

This is a great question - and the great ansewr for me, was my girlfriend's smoothies!

No matter how bad it got, I never had a problem chugging those smoothies.

She did a LOT of research into all the nutrituional requirements - and I think thepy really contributed to the success I experienced in treatment.

I'd be glad to put you in touch with her, if you'd like to PM me on here. If you don't feel comfortable with that, I understand. I can see if I can get the info and post it, here - if that works better for you.

Your boyfriend is VERY lucky to have you on his team - and trust me, he WILL appreciate all of the support you are giving him!!

MG

• Chillg8r
    Chillg8r Member Posts: 85 Member
    edited August 2021 #7
    Boost + and a feeding tube

Boost + and a feeding tube for me, but smoothies, soups and shakes did the trick when I had the feeding tube removed. While I can earn pretty well now I still supplement with a Boost+ when I need to. 

• MJG1
    MJG1 Member Posts: 137 Member
    maintaining weight

We added Benicalorie to everything.  I'd warm it and work it into the feeding tube along with the Boost or whatever product he was receiving at that point.  Good luck and may God bless you both.

• motorcycleguy
    edited August 2021 #9
    11Balboa

I just e-mailed my girlfriend and copied you. She has helped others with the smoothie recipes, and like I say - they seemed to work wonders for me!

I'm assuming that your guy is still able to drink liquids (water, milk etc.) It's important for him to keep eating or at least drinking, to keep his esophagus working.

I wish you the best possible outcome - and please feel free to e-mail either my GF or myself.

Again - I am so glad that he has you in his corner. It will make a huge difference for him!!

MG

• 11Balboa

11Balboa,

This is a great question - and the great ansewr for me, was my girlfriend's smoothies!

No matter how bad it got, I never had a problem chugging those smoothies.

She did a LOT of research into all the nutrituional requirements - and I think thepy really contributed to the success I experienced in treatment.

I'd be glad to put you in touch with her, if you'd like to PM me on here. If you don't feel comfortable with that, I understand. I can see if I can get the info and post it, here - if that works better for you.

Your boyfriend is VERY lucky to have you on his team - and trust me, he WILL appreciate all of the support you are giving him!!

MG

Thank you for your help and

• LitlCJdoll
    LitlCJdoll Member Posts: 245 Member
    edited August 2021 #11
    MJG1 said:

maintaining weight

We added Benicalorie to everything.  I'd warm it and work it into the feeding tube along with the Boost or whatever product he was receiving at that point.  Good luck and may God bless you both.

Benecalorie product by Nestle Health Sciences

Hello MJG,

I would like to shyly ask, if the Benecalorie powder changed the consistency of the liquids it was added to?

My diagnosis is " Severe Protein -Calorie Malnutrition and I cannot get my weight to budge. My top weight right now is 72.0, but mostly its lower.

Did the powder thicken the liquid? And did it dissolve well? I'm curious.

Thanks,

Crystal

• MJG1
    MJG1 Member Posts: 137 Member

Benecalorie product by Nestle Health Sciences

Hello MJG,

I would like to shyly ask, if the Benecalorie powder changed the consistency of the liquids it was added to?

My diagnosis is " Severe Protein -Calorie Malnutrition and I cannot get my weight to budge. My top weight right now is 72.0, but mostly its lower.

Did the powder thicken the liquid? And did it dissolve well? I'm curious.

Thanks,

Crystal

Benicalorie info

Beni calorie is in a very small container and is not a powder, but instead more buttery.  It cooks or blends into almost any foods and packe 330 calories and 7 proteins.  The nutritionist at Siteman cancer Center in St. Louis recommended it and it really helped my husband maintain a healthy weight during his previous treatments.

• motorcycleguy
    11Balboa,

I see my GF got those smoothie recipes sent your way - and I also see that there's been dozens of other ideas on here.

I guess the bottom line is that he will be MUCH better off, if he can ingest food, even if he's just drinking it - the whole way through treatment, if possible. The reaction to treatment is individual, though - and I sincerely hope he's on the lucky end of that spectrum.

Smoothies are a great way to get a LOT of nutrition in an easy way to ingest. 

What happens to a lot of people (including me) is that when one has to chew food, the temporary loss of flavor makes it impossible to want to swallow. But, with a smoothie, I could chug 20 ounces of it, with no concern about the taste. I really worked wonders for me!

I'm VERY glad he has someone as wonderful as yourself to help him through this - and I wish BOTH of you the best possible outcome!!

Hang in there,

MG (aka Curt)

• Remington25
    Remington25 Member Posts: 93 Member
    Same as others

I had very high calorie boosts as my primary nutritian.  My wife was a rockstar and would make me different types of smoothies with some protein powder, peanut butter, oil, ghee, etc... to get calories up.  Even though I had no taste some things were worse pain wise and smell wise so if I didn't like it she would start over and keep notes.  I was lucky to get by on mainly the VHC Boosts with the help of some drugs.

• debbiel0
    debbiel0 Member Posts: 134 Member
    wbcgaruss said:

What I Used

Was Boost VHC (Very High Calorie).

It is 530 calories per 8 ounce container.

Boost VHC

Also here is a beater recipe I may have gotten off this forum I am not sure but you don't need a blender-

Deb,

So sorry I’ve taken so long to get that receipe for your dad! I checked with our nurses and here it is:

1 box (3.4oz) of instant pudding
    3/4 cup half & half cream
    1/2 cup of water
    1 cup of carnation evaporated milk (use canned not powdered etc.)

Mix together in a bowl then mix with a mixer for one minute until it begins to thicken. This receipe makes 4 servings. We use it to help individuals we serve who are under weight to assist in gaining weight. As you can see…it is very rich and full of calories etc. Let us know how your dad is doing!

Karen

Also here below is a recipe and info I definitely got from a lady on this forum but I can't exactly remember so if she sees this please give a shout-out and take some credit.
    Wishing you all the best-Take care-God Bless-Russ
    OK we now have found out who the below recipes and tips are from thanks Debbie.

These Recipes and Tips Are From Debbiel0 on Our CSN H&N Section

• Coffee cream ( 18%)     1 cup 480 calories

• Coconut milk 1/3 cup 150 calories

• Greek style yogurt 1 cup 270 cal

• 2 tbsp Ground Flax seed 100 cal

• 3 tbsp Hemp Hearts 170 cal

• 1 tsp nut butter  100 cal

• 1 tsp honey  100 cal

• banana  80 cal.

I would mix all of the above into a shake for my husband. It makes about 3 - 3 1/2 cups and 1300 calories.. he would sip on it all day. Then we would make him soft eggs or oatmeal to top off the calories for the day. Jello or pudding and ice cream are also another easy foods to slide down.

Using coffee cream when making soups, or sauces, cooking oatmeal in it, using it for puddings. Is an easy way to boost calorie intake. The Hemp Hearts and ground Flax can be expensive. If you have access to Costco, they are reasonably priced there. ( at least in canada that is the way it is)

Use honey as much as you can in tea or coffee, or just in warm water. 

I think the best advice I got from our nutritionist was to think outside the box and add cream or greek yogurt to what ever you can think of. Throw in a couple of tbsps of flax or hemp seeds to soups, your boost, hot cereal cooked in heavy cream. Mashed potatoes with heavy cream and lots of gooey gravy is always good too.

Hope some of these ideas help.  Another well balanced change from boost is Soylent. I cant remember the calorie count, but it is a very good meal replacement.

I know I am kind of rambling... but hope some of these ideas help, or at least give you a variety. It is hard to get excited for a meal that is same as the last one!

Split pea soup and baked beans with honey are great for calories..

The flaxseed and hemo hearts dont change the taste all that much..just a way to sneak another 100 calories in. I had never ventured into that type of food either. My daughter in law is super healthy, and introduced me ( young ones, ya know!) 

Almond butter or cashew butter is just another alternative to peanut butter. Change up the taste a bit. 

I have a long list if food allergies, no dairy, no cheese, no chocolate,  so finding calories was really tough for me. Example, geek yogurt can be up to 270 cal, my non dairy yogurt is 60 calories. So, when my husband was going thru his treatment it was actually fun for me to keep finding new things to make for him. Cheese is another good source of calories, melt it and add it to soup, potatoes. 

Take care Russ. Maybe sit down and try to enjoy a slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream! 

Thanks for the shout out Russ

Thanks for the shout out Russ! I am happy for you to pass these suggestions under your name.  We all have learnt things in life from others. 

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited August 2021 #16
    What I Used

Was Boost VHC (Very High Calorie).

It is 530 calories per 8 ounce container.

Boost VHC

Also here is a beater recipe I may have gotten off this forum I am not sure but you don't need a blender-

Deb,

So sorry I’ve taken so long to get that receipe for your dad! I checked with our nurses and here it is:

1 box (3.4oz) of instant pudding
    3/4 cup half & half cream
    1/2 cup of water
    1 cup of carnation evaporated milk (use canned not powdered etc.)

Mix together in a bowl then mix with a mixer for one minute until it begins to thicken. This receipe makes 4 servings. We use it to help individuals we serve who are under weight to assist in gaining weight. As you can see…it is very rich and full of calories etc. Let us know how your dad is doing!

Karen

Also here below is a recipe and info I definitely got from a lady on this forum but I can't exactly remember so if she sees this please give a shout-out and take some credit.
    Wishing you all the best-Take care-God Bless-Russ
    OK we now have found out who the below recipes and tips are from thanks Debbie.

These Recipes and Tips Are From Debbiel0 on Our CSN H&N Section

• Coffee cream ( 18%)     1 cup 480 calories

• Coconut milk 1/3 cup 150 calories

• Greek style yogurt 1 cup 270 cal

• 2 tbsp Ground Flax seed 100 cal

• 3 tbsp Hemp Hearts 170 cal

• 1 tsp nut butter  100 cal

• 1 tsp honey  100 cal

• banana  80 cal.

I would mix all of the above into a shake for my husband. It makes about 3 - 3 1/2 cups and 1300 calories.. he would sip on it all day. Then we would make him soft eggs or oatmeal to top off the calories for the day. Jello or pudding and ice cream are also another easy foods to slide down.

Using coffee cream when making soups, or sauces, cooking oatmeal in it, using it for puddings. Is an easy way to boost calorie intake. The Hemp Hearts and ground Flax can be expensive. If you have access to Costco, they are reasonably priced there. ( at least in canada that is the way it is)

Use honey as much as you can in tea or coffee, or just in warm water. 

I think the best advice I got from our nutritionist was to think outside the box and add cream or greek yogurt to what ever you can think of. Throw in a couple of tbsps of flax or hemp seeds to soups, your boost, hot cereal cooked in heavy cream. Mashed potatoes with heavy cream and lots of gooey gravy is always good too.

Hope some of these ideas help.  Another well balanced change from boost is Soylent. I cant remember the calorie count, but it is a very good meal replacement.

I know I am kind of rambling... but hope some of these ideas help, or at least give you a variety. It is hard to get excited for a meal that is same as the last one!

Split pea soup and baked beans with honey are great for calories..

The flaxseed and hemo hearts dont change the taste all that much..just a way to sneak another 100 calories in. I had never ventured into that type of food either. My daughter in law is super healthy, and introduced me ( young ones, ya know!) 

Almond butter or cashew butter is just another alternative to peanut butter. Change up the taste a bit. 

I have a long list if food allergies, no dairy, no cheese, no chocolate,  so finding calories was really tough for me. Example, geek yogurt can be up to 270 cal, my non dairy yogurt is 60 calories. So, when my husband was going thru his treatment it was actually fun for me to keep finding new things to make for him. Cheese is another good source of calories, melt it and add it to soup, potatoes. 

Take care Russ. Maybe sit down and try to enjoy a slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream! 

• JohnEboy
    JohnEboy Member Posts: 1
    Tonsillar cancer: cisplatin side effects

After my first chemo (11 days ago) it wasn't long before I had no appetite, no taste, a constant buzzing in my head and the onset of muscle pain limiting how far I could open my mouth.  Buzzing in ears is less but still a constant.  I'm  pretty much limited to Ensure, protein powder drinks, and I'm trying to come up w smoothie combinations.   Has anyone else had a bad initial reaction to this?  Do subsequent side effects get worse or better?

I've noticed a few recipe ideas above.  I'd be happy to get others.