Could I ask for help with understanding my results?

Options
Judemo
Judemo Member Posts: 167 Member

Hello to you all who are reading this!Smile  A few weeks ago I posted a question about BIRAD 4-B mammogram results because I am new to all this BC information.  I had a biopsy a couple of days ago and just received my pathology results.  Is it ok to ask if anyone might be willing to help me carify what these pathology results are?  I can't get in to see my DR for a few days.  I have done a ittle research on the difference between IDC and DCIS and what ER/PR +/- mean, but am still pretty new to all of this.  Has anyone had similar pathology results?  I am getting an MRI next Monday because of the shadow of a cystic solid mass at the 8:00 position that showed up on the ultrasound.  I'm not sure why they didn't biopsy that the other day along with the other two sites.  See below my results that I copied and pasted from my chart:

*** Pathology of both biopsy sites is DCIS grade 2, with calcifications and

comedo necrosis ER/PR positive. Pathology is malignant and concordant

and surgical consult is recommended.

Patient was informed of these findings and recommendations by nurse

navigator 

As a complex cystic solid mass 8:00 position 5 cm from the nipple was

identified on ultrasound dated 7/27/2021 and the patient has dense

breast tissue, preoperative breast MRI is recommended.

Ultrasound-guided biopsy of the complex mass may be warranted to

exclude invasive component depending on MRI findings.

Please note that microcalcifications span 8 cm in ductal extent and

warrant bracketed Magseed for excision.

Breast MRI is scheduled for 8/16/2021 and consultation appointment with....

I would absolutely love any feedback anyone might be open to sharing with me.  I know this result is very treatable and not as bad as other BCs.

Thanks to you all!

jude

Comments

• catlady2
    catlady2 Member Posts: 50 Member
    edited August 2021 #2
    Options
    lab results

Getting a cancer diagnosis is scary, no matter what the results.  In your case, take a deep breath and exhale.   DCIS means Ducatal Carcinoma in Situ.   That means is a non-invasive type of cancer and is considered to be stage 0.  I have been there.  You will need surgery-a lumpectomy if they can get good results otherwise they might recommend a mastectomy.   You also may be facing radiation to further reduce the risk of it coming back as either DCIS or as an invasive cancer.  If you surgery pathology reports negative margins it means they got all the cells.  If it is a positive margin, you might face another surgery and they remove more cells.  I am sorry I have no information to share about the cystic solid mass-did not have that experience. 

I panicked when I was first diagnosed with DCIS grade 3 with necrosis and thought the worst.  I am now 2 years out from a lumpectomy with negative margins, and 16 treatments of radiation.  Just had my second clear yearly scan.  My doctor said she sees no reason why I should ever have a recurrence. I eat a plant based diet, walk 5 miles a day, do yoga and meditate every evening.  If standing on my head and whistling dixie would help better my chances of a long and healthy life I would do that too!

Please take care of yourself.   The medical profession is wonderful, but they get so caught up in the medical end they sometimes forget that there is a frightened person in front of them.  I hope that you have a good nurse navigator .  The navigator can help you find resources for information, etc.  

Or feel free to contact me.  Smile

Here are some online places I used for information

https://dcis411.com/

https://www.health.com/condition/breast-cancer/dcis-breast-cancer

https://drsusanloveresearch.org/breast-cancer-explained/newly-diagnosed/

https://breast-cancer.ca/comed-carc/

http://nomograms.mskcc.org/breast/DuctalCarcinomaInSituRecurrencePage.aspx

• Judemo
    edited August 2021 #3
    Options
    catlady2 said:

lab results

Getting a cancer diagnosis is scary, no matter what the results.  In your case, take a deep breath and exhale.   DCIS means Ducatal Carcinoma in Situ.   That means is a non-invasive type of cancer and is considered to be stage 0.  I have been there.  You will need surgery-a lumpectomy if they can get good results otherwise they might recommend a mastectomy.   You also may be facing radiation to further reduce the risk of it coming back as either DCIS or as an invasive cancer.  If you surgery pathology reports negative margins it means they got all the cells.  If it is a positive margin, you might face another surgery and they remove more cells.  I am sorry I have no information to share about the cystic solid mass-did not have that experience. 

I panicked when I was first diagnosed with DCIS grade 3 with necrosis and thought the worst.  I am now 2 years out from a lumpectomy with negative margins, and 16 treatments of radiation.  Just had my second clear yearly scan.  My doctor said she sees no reason why I should ever have a recurrence. I eat a plant based diet, walk 5 miles a day, do yoga and meditate every evening.  If standing on my head and whistling dixie would help better my chances of a long and healthy life I would do that too!

Please take care of yourself.   The medical profession is wonderful, but they get so caught up in the medical end they sometimes forget that there is a frightened person in front of them.  I hope that you have a good nurse navigator .  The navigator can help you find resources for information, etc.  

Or feel free to contact me.  Smile

Here are some online places I used for information

https://dcis411.com/

https://www.health.com/condition/breast-cancer/dcis-breast-cancer

https://drsusanloveresearch.org/breast-cancer-explained/newly-diagnosed/

https://breast-cancer.ca/comed-carc/

http://nomograms.mskcc.org/breast/DuctalCarcinomaInSituRecurrencePage.aspx

Thanks Catlady2!

Thank you so much for the time you took to reply and explain all that you did.  That was very helpful.  I really appreciate the links as well!  I will be checking those out.  I will write more after my MRI.  I was so hoping they would have biopsied that shadowy area this past week while they were biopsying the other two areas.  Anyway, I have been doing a lot of reading on this website (cancer.org) and breastcancer.org.  

I am sorry to hear about what you went through as well.  You mentioned your clean eating and meditating.  Luckily I began a daily meditation practice a year ago and it has saved my life.  It has brought me so much peace.  Now, for the eating....I really do need to tweek my diet.  I eat too much sugar and processed foods.  I will stand on my head and whistle dixie along with you if need be! Laughing

Thanks again Catlady!

jude

• catlady2
    Options
    Judemo said:

Thanks Catlady2!

Thank you so much for the time you took to reply and explain all that you did.  That was very helpful.  I really appreciate the links as well!  I will be checking those out.  I will write more after my MRI.  I was so hoping they would have biopsied that shadowy area this past week while they were biopsying the other two areas.  Anyway, I have been doing a lot of reading on this website (cancer.org) and breastcancer.org.  

I am sorry to hear about what you went through as well.  You mentioned your clean eating and meditating.  Luckily I began a daily meditation practice a year ago and it has saved my life.  It has brought me so much peace.  Now, for the eating....I really do need to tweek my diet.  I eat too much sugar and processed foods.  I will stand on my head and whistle dixie along with you if need be! Laughing

Thanks again Catlady!

jude

Dr. Greogor's book How Not To
    Dr. Greogor's book How Not To Die has a lot of good suggestions for eating.  Each chapter focuses on a health issue and specific foods that may be helpful.
    Dr. Kristi Funk's book Breast, The Owners Manual has a wonderful chapter on foods, etc.;for breast health.
    My big change in eating came after watching Forks Over knives.
    i listen to a meditation recording that suggests: doctors can only set up the environment to heal, it is up to you to do the rest.
    keep whistling and think positive thoughts.
  • Judemo
    edited August 2021 #5
    Options
    catlady,

catlady,

I will watch Forks Over Knives.  I really appreciate your reply.  I see that there are a lot of people who read some posts but never reply, so I really appreciate your time and caring!  I will reach out after I watch Forks Over Knives.  I really need to make a change in my diet.  I've put on some weight over the last year or so and it's been so hard getting out of my sugar cravings.

Take care and thanks so much for the recommendations!  I'll check them all out.

• catlady2
    edited August 2021 #6
    Options
    Judemo said:

catlady,

catlady,

I will watch Forks Over Knives.  I really appreciate your reply.  I see that there are a lot of people who read some posts but never reply, so I really appreciate your time and caring!  I will reach out after I watch Forks Over Knives.  I really need to make a change in my diet.  I've put on some weight over the last year or so and it's been so hard getting out of my sugar cravings.

Take care and thanks so much for the recommendations!  I'll check them all out.

I have not found much support

I have not found much support or information from other members on this site about DCIS.  When I read your blurb about having a DCIS diagnosis I felt I should reach out.   I cannot speak to the cyst issue.  I hope that your surgery goes well and you have clear margins.   As long as they do not discover anything else along with the DCIS you have a good chance to be around quite awhile.   One study I read said people with DCIS have a 98% chance of surving at least 10 years.  Once you are furthur along in this journey we can talk more. Have you heard of  DCISionRT ?   It is a risk assesment test for DCIS.  My doctor did not use it, but it does exist.  

Having my DCIS diagnosis was enough for me to get my act together.  I have done everything I can to reduce my risk-lost weight, exercised more, cut out all alcohol, reduced my stress, added yoga and meditation and the plant based diet.   Even fs I do have a recurrence at some point, I will be in good shape to deal with whatever comes my way.  I read that being in good shape (mentally and physicallly) improves your outcomes.  Once, when I mentioned on this site the changes I made in my lifestyle,  a person who responded said I was wasting my time and none of it would help.  I respectfully disagree.  Being as healty as possible is always a good idea.

I still have a weakness for chocolate, but switched to dark chocolate almonds-antioxidents and healthy fats.

PS-Green tea is supposed to be super good for you also.

My onocologist is supporting my changes fully and said some of her patients just want to take pill instead of changing their lifestyle.

Hang in there.  Some day this nightmare will all be a distant memory.

• Crafty-lady
    Crafty-lady Member Posts: 4
    Options

Jude, I'm new too. I don't know what grade 2 .eans, but dais means that the cancer is in a milk duct. It also says that it is estrogen receptor positive which means it is fed by estrogen. Mine is that too. My doc said he will remove the cancer and surrounding healthy tissue. He'll probably check lymph nodes also. No mri for me, but surgery on September 20. How are you feeling about this? I'm scared. Good luck to you.

• Crafty-lady
    Crafty-lady Member Posts: 4
    Options
    catlady2 said:

I have not found much support or information from other members on this site about DCIS.  When I read your blurb about having a DCIS diagnosis I felt I should reach out.   I cannot speak to the cyst issue.  I hope that your surgery goes well and you have clear margins.   As long as they do not discover anything else along with the DCIS you have a good chance to be around quite awhile.   One study I read said people with DCIS have a 98% chance of surving at least 10 years.  Once you are furthur along in this journey we can talk more. Have you heard of  DCISionRT ?   It is a risk assesment test for DCIS.  My doctor did not use it, but it does exist.  

Having my DCIS diagnosis was enough for me to get my act together.  I have done everything I can to reduce my risk-lost weight, exercised more, cut out all alcohol, reduced my stress, added yoga and meditation and the plant based diet.   Even fs I do have a recurrence at some point, I will be in good shape to deal with whatever comes my way.  I read that being in good shape (mentally and physicallly) improves your outcomes.  Once, when I mentioned on this site the changes I made in my lifestyle,  a person who responded said I was wasting my time and none of it would help.  I respectfully disagree.  Being as healty as possible is always a good idea.

I still have a weakness for chocolate, but switched to dark chocolate almonds-antioxidents and healthy fats.

My onocologist is supporting my changes fully and said some of her patients just want to take pill instead of changing their lifestyle.

Cat lady I love your attitude.

I've been sitting here crying thinking about giving up on life. And then I read now you're talking about getting your act together and other things such as exercising. If I can glean n some of your attitude I think it will help me. I'm working on losing weight, switching to a whole food plant based diet, I'm going to get back to my exercising. Thank you for your post. I need stop wasting time.

• Judemo
    Options

Jude, I'm new too. I don't know what grade 2 .eans, but dais means that the cancer is in a milk duct. It also says that it is estrogen receptor positive which means it is fed by estrogen. Mine is that too. My doc said he will remove the cancer and surrounding healthy tissue. He'll probably check lymph nodes also. No mri for me, but surgery on September 20. How are you feeling about this? I'm scared. Good luck to you.

Hi Crafty-lady,

Hi Crafty-lady,

Thank you for your reply to me.  I'm sorry to hear you are going through this as well.  My MRI showed some extra possible invasive areas but I am having a bilateral mastectomy with recontruction and so will find out after the surgery if there was more cancer hidden besides the DCIS.  I just met with the plastic surgeon to discuss reconstruction options. There is just so much to consider once you have been DXd with BC.   My DR just took me off estradial and started me on Venlafaxine ER as a replacement as I was supposed to abruptly stop estradiol.  I have improved my diet immensely these past couple of weeks and have alredy been feeling better.  I have a strong faith in God and that gives me peace.  I am not worried about the outcome.  Do you have much support?  What helps you with your fear?  We are all in this together.  What's been happening with you and how's it going?  How did you find out about the BC?

• Judemo
    Options
    catlady2 said:

catlady,

catlady,

Thanks again for the time you have taken to reply and send so much helpful information.  My recent MRI showed possible other cancer lurking besides the DCIS so I will find out after the double mastectomy in September.  I was recently taken of estradial and placed on venlafaxine ER to help with the transition and with menopausal issues.  So far I like the venlafaxine.  I've also changed my diet and have been feeling better.  Meeting with the plastic surgeon this week has made me more confused about getting reconstruction or just staying flat without any boobs.  I should do some searches on the site to find discussions about this topic.  What was your journey like?