Broken bone after radiation

Options
rickburn
rickburn Member Posts: 4 Member

I had neck/throat cancer over 10 years ago. I had chemo and radiation, 40 radiation treatments. I've had problems with my head and mouth since, barely have saliva, hearing loss, cararacts, lost 2 teeth,but I've lived with that. Recently I fell and broke my jaw. It's been wired a month, but it does seem to be healing. I think the radiation has made it so my jaw is not going to heal at a very good pace. I can't eat enough to mantain my weight and am feeling weaker. I'm 68, but have never felt 68 until trhis happened. Has anyone else had problems with bones healing slow, or not at all, from radiation?

Comments

• LitlCJdoll
    LitlCJdoll Member Posts: 245 Member
    edited July 2021 #2
    Options
    Erosion in bones

Hi Rick,

Well, I was going to make a separate post about this but because you are having this trouble too, here goes.  I am 3 1/2 years out from Radiotherapy, Stage III HNSCC...Petite person of 71 pounds.

Anyway, for a few months I've had terrible stiffness, increased Pain, decreased mobility in my neck, chiefly on left back neck. I thought maybe arthritis ?? Or from when I fell on it when I felll headlong down a whole flight of stairs inside my house, last year... I just didn't know Why it had become much worse.

okay Monday was my 3 month follow up with my Oncology surgeon and he ordered CT Neck.  I got the Results just 2 hours later by phone ( from my Pulmonary doctor !!) And by email from my surgeon.

the good news was no recurrences seen. However, tongue flap area is still Enhancing.... Etc. I can get into that later.

as it applies to your current tragic experiences-- the Bones in my neck # C2 through C5, those specifically have Erosions in them. Also the joint spaces between them have disappeared and some others substantially narrowed. That's why I'm getting Bone rubbing / grinding on Bone pain, popping...

if I can post the image I will try, in another post perhaps.

why did this happen? Because I had the heaviest dose of Radiation to the left. In my mouth at the time I had an active invasive tumor site, which my surgeon could not cut any more from. I had had 2 deep surgeries there and he told us he couldn't go any deeper. So, the radiation was " a very heavy dose" to that tumor site because it was actively growing. They had to go for the kill. So, it entered from of my head and exited the back, hitting those neck vertebrae along the way.

My surgeon told me several times, half in jest half serious--" Never let somebody hit you in the face . Stay out of fights! "

Yes, our Jaw Bones can be brittle and Break.  Plus, I had Rim Mandibullectomy.before Radistion..... No doubt it would just Shatter.

I start Physical therapy soon for this neck but really, what can it realistically do?  Strengthen me and help flexibility Maybe, but the damage remains, you know?

Rick, are you getting a feeding tube to help you while this trouble is still thrre?  You need help right now in getting nutrition in you some way. Please let me know how things are going with the nutrition and how you are able to get enough in.

Crystal

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,294 Member
    edited July 2021 #3
    Options
    Rick I Agree With Crystal

Check with your docs as you may need a feeding tube, for now, to help maintain your weight till you get through this.
    Also, make sure your docs checked to make sure you do not have osteoradionecrosis (ORN).
    Check this link for a complete explanation and also how HBOT (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy) May help you heal up.  https://oralcancerfoundation.org/complications/osteoradionecrosis/
    Also as we are getting older it takes longer to heal.
    You're not way up there yet but you are no spring chicken either.
    I felt really good too as not feeling my age until my last episode and it sorta took something out of me so maybe this episode has been a little hard on you also.
    I'm right there with ya Rick I am exactly your age, have lost several teeth over the last several years, have very little saliva, certainly have some hearing loss and in a couple of months or so at my next appointment the eye doc says my cataracts are due to be done.
    This cancer and aging stuff ain't easy.
    NEGU (Never Ever Give Up)
    Wishing You The Best-Take Care-God Bless-Russ