Ear pain after tongue biopsy?

momtowandv
momtowandv Member Posts: 3
edited June 2021 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hello. I had a tongue biopsy a little over a week ago. I still have a fair amount of pain and fullness in my ear (same side as biopsy). I wake up at night with a stabbing pain in my ear. During the day, it's mostly a dull ache right next to my ear, where my jaw starts. The oral surgeon suggests I go back to a soft diet and take ibuprofen, and see how it goes. My results came back negative, but the lingering ear pain concerns me. 

Anyone that would be willing to share their tongue biopsy experiences as it relates to length of healing and ear/jaw pain would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Comments

• ozymandible
    ozymandible Member Posts: 324 Member
    edited June 2021 #2
    Hello.  In your head there

Hello.  In your head there are nerves that refer pain all over the place.  The nerve on the side of the tongue in particular will refer pain into your ear.  The last time I had a biopsy was before surgery and my ear pain never went away until then.  I used to put lidocaine on a qtip and dab in my ear to stop the pain but it didn't last.  All that referred pain went away when I had my surgery.  The surgeon actually cut out the nerve because tuat's where my cancer was.

• momtowandv
    edited June 2021 #3

Hello.  In your head there

Hello.  In your head there are nerves that refer pain all over the place.  The nerve on the side of the tongue in particular will refer pain into your ear.  The last time I had a biopsy was before surgery and my ear pain never went away until then.  I used to put lidocaine on a qtip and dab in my ear to stop the pain but it didn't last.  All that referred pain went away when I had my surgery.  The surgeon actually cut out the nerve because tuat's where my cancer was.

Thank you, ozy. I hope you

Thank you, ozy. I hope you are doing well. I'm just a little disturbed because I didn't expect this feeling of ear pain/fullness for so long after the biopsy. 

• ozymandible
    ozymandible Member Posts: 324 Member
    edited June 2021 #4

Thank you, ozy. I hope you

Thank you, ozy. I hope you are doing well. I'm just a little disturbed because I didn't expect this feeling of ear pain/fullness for so long after the biopsy. 

I know.  It's very unpleasant

I know.  It's very unpleasant to have an earache all the time.  :(

• momtowandv

I know.  It's very unpleasant

I know.  It's very unpleasant to have an earache all the time.  :(

I am glad your ear pain is

I am glad your ear pain is finally gone.I made an appointment with my general practitioner for next Friday, if I am still have issues, then I will go that route. 

Thank you for your replies : )

• LitlCJdoll
    LitlCJdoll Member Posts: 245 Member
    edited June 2021 #6
    Your Path report was negative

Your Path report was negative for malignancy ??!!! Oh my, be Joyous!! Be happy and go kiss someone and go dance in the rain.

That's great news indeed. 

Be grateful !

LitlCJdoll

• Buckeyegirl76
    Buckeyegirl76 Member Posts: 1 *

I just had a biopsy on the side of my tongue and am having pain in my jaw and a fairly severe ear ache. I found a document from an oral surgeon's office that said moderate to severe ear pain was normal. Did your pain resolve itself? If so, how long did it take?