Post-Surgery Walking (Steps)

woodstock99
woodstock99 Member Posts: 202 Member

Hi All - I am 8 days post-op robotic and curious how much walking I should be doing in terms of daily steps.  It's been wicked hot (high 90's/almost triple digits) and the mosquitos are bad so I have pretty mcuh bene housebound walking loops around our one story house.  I have done between 2500-3300 steps a day and womndering what I should be shooting for.  It's pretty boring.  My high count days are usually when I spent a long time on the phone talking witha friemd so I walked around the house while we talked.  Thanks. 

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,360 Member
    edited June 2021 #2
    I don't know if there is a

I don't know if there is a specificied number, but good for you for keep moving.  Smarter to just be inside with the heat and mosquitos outside, boring as it can be.

I remember attending a training FWC did a few years back, and that physical therapy was assigned for people to recover from injuries but not surgery was an excellent point.  PT is work but helps in healing, so I am sure you are really helping yourself a lot!  

• woodstock99
    woodstock99 Member Posts: 202 Member

I don't know if there is a

I don't know if there is a specificied number, but good for you for keep moving.  Smarter to just be inside with the heat and mosquitos outside, boring as it can be.

I remember attending a training FWC did a few years back, and that physical therapy was assigned for people to recover from injuries but not surgery was an excellent point.  PT is work but helps in healing, so I am sure you are really helping yourself a lot!  

Thanks - was trying to find

Thanks - was trying to find soem. benchmarks but everything I google. just syas walking.  I think somewhere I saw saw 250 steps an hour when you are awake so that would be mor ethan I am doing but each day I am trying to add more. Soeme days easy, some days not.  What is FWC?  

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,360 Member
    edited June 2021 #4

Thanks - was trying to find

Thanks - was trying to find soem. benchmarks but everything I google. just syas walking.  I think somewhere I saw saw 250 steps an hour when you are awake so that would be mor ethan I am doing but each day I am trying to add more. Soeme days easy, some days not.  What is FWC?  

I'm sorry, you are correct, I

I'm sorry, you are correct, I did not explain myself.  FWC is Foundation for Women's Cancer.  I found them, and pre-COVID attended a both their National Race to End Women's Cancer (it was gyn cancers and was so inspirational for me) and a free training session they put together the day before.   

I heard about moving - walking or whatever - after major surgery just like people do to recovery from injuries (physical therapy) and it all made sense.  It sounds like you are on track!!