Sore Lip

Options
tommyodavey
tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
edited May 2021 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

This is an odd one to me.  Had rads 9 years ago with not too much trouble.  Six months ago my bottom lip got really sensitive and started peeling like it was sunburned.  It did go away and now it's back again.  Every day I put on a very good lip gloss that doesn't contain petroleum.  My lip is still dry and cracked no matter the moisturizing lip gloss.  (Jack Black)

I Googled it and read it could be many different things including radiation burn.  But 9 years later?  I will call my old rad oncologist if it doesn't go away.  Anyone else ever have this problem?  I've been on this site for 10 years and have not read about it yet so I'm not really holding out hope that you all have some answers.  Still, I thougt it was worth posting if someone else ever searches for this topic.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Tommy I'm With You

I don't recall ever hearing or reading about it either on here or with my local support group. It is a good possibility that this is totally unrelated to radiation or cancer treatment just something of its own. I know for a while after cancer and treatment, meaning a number of years, we relate most things to post-treatment effects, and many times they were but sometimes that is not the case. I know in my case I realize that aging is part of my situation now and I can't blame after-effects for some of the things that happen to me. Keep us posted Tommy and if it doesn't just resolve itself it will be interesting to know what your old rad oncologist has to say about it. Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    wbcgaruss said:

Tommy I'm With You

I don't recall ever hearing or reading about it either on here or with my local support group. It is a good possibility that this is totally unrelated to radiation or cancer treatment just something of its own. I know for a while after cancer and treatment, meaning a number of years, we relate most things to post-treatment effects, and many times they were but sometimes that is not the case. I know in my case I realize that aging is part of my situation now and I can't blame after-effects for some of the things that happen to me. Keep us posted Tommy and if it doesn't just resolve itself it will be interesting to know what your old rad oncologist has to say about it. Take Care-God Bless-Russ

Thanks

Thanks Russ for the feedback.  I do think you're right on this one.  Right after I posted it I tried to delete it w/o such luck.  After doing more research it could be many different things.  Monday I have an appointment with a dermatologist who should be able to dx it.  Who else is qualified to figure it out?  

If there is a way to delete this entire conversation I haven't figured it out yet.  If a moderator reads this, go right ahead and we'll move on to something more H&N relevant. 

• wbcgaruss
    edited May 2021 #4
    Options
    Well Tommy

I would not delete it even a thread like this can help others in that everything after treatment isn't necessarily treatment or cancer-related for the rest of your life. we are still subject to all the other stuff people get just like them.

As far as deleting a post I think I wanted to at one time and you are right there is no delete. But you can click on edit to edit the post and highlight everything and press delete on the keyboard. That would wipe your part out but I think it would leave other comments there as each person would have to edit their own.

Nothing wrong with the post Tommy-keeps us thinkin-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• wbcgaruss
    edited May 2021 #5
    Options
    Oh And Forgot

To add I think you are on the right track with the dermatologist and if they can't solve it they should be able to direct you to the right place. I had a sore spot on my upper right forehead several months ago that just wouldn't go away and that's where I went. Turns out it was the most common form of skin cancer. they treated it right in the office by numbing, scraping, cauterizing till she was satisfied they got it and I was good. Also did a small spot on my cheek by freezing she said it was pre-cancerous. Everything healed up well and I have a follow-up beginning of next month. They have you take your shirt off and do an exam from head to waist. This is a good idea for anyone to get checked once as they look at your shoulders and back where you can't see and can recognize the pre-cancerous stuff. As far as I know, I don't have any more areas going on so this will be my last visit unless something else comes along. Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    edited May 2021 #6
    Options
    Tommy

A little over 12 years out, and NO to what you're describing. 

During Rad tx I did have sores that go so far as just below my bottom lip, too, as well as on and in the mouth, of course. Your problem is a new one to me, and might have nothing to do with Rads (I hope).