Painful swallowing, but...

Options
kgasmart
kgasmart Member Posts: 61 Member

I'm 3 1/2 years out from BOT cancer surgery, full modified radical neck dissection, they took 60+ lymph nodes and followed it all up with lower-dose rads.

I had persistent, diffuse neck pain for nearly 2 years, docs couldn't find anything really causing it - maybe just my messed-up neck anatomy, nerves that had been cut, etc. That pain did go away eventually.

Then three mornings ago I woke up with what almost feels like a pulled muscle under my chin, maybe closer to the Adam's apple on the right side. Its painful to swallow - but there's no sore throat or scratchy throat or anything like that, the discomfort isn't in the throat, it's in the neck. 

I chalked it up to just sleeping on my neck wrong but 3 days later it's still here and I'm getting worried; scheduled for an annual CT scan next week and in 2 1/2 weeks have a follow-up appointment with the surgeon but now I'm wondering if I should try to get in sooner...

Anyone else ever encounter this? Like I said, it's not pain in the throat, but in the neck; there are no lumps (I've checked and triple-checked), no other symptoms at all. Is it possible to pull a muscle in your chin area, might this just be my messed up neck anatomy reasserting itself, or something worse.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    We Always Think

The worst once we have been through the cancer routine. For awhile every ache or soreness in the area or anywhere else makes us uneasy again. I have never had the soreness you are experiencing but occasionally I get sort of a charley horse effect in one of my neck muscles on the left side and it is a bit painful but I lift my head up and stretch it and it resolves it. I have had aches and unusual things like you are experiencing and waited a bit and they pass. I guess it is up to the individual whether they feel a certain pain or discomfort needs checking right away. Since you find nothing obvious probably only your upcoming scan will show if somethings going on. Since your scan is next week I would just wait and try taking something for the pain like Tylenol or Aspirin or if the pain is really bad call your care team and ask them to give you stronger pain meds or move your visit up. If your scan was months from now and not next week I would definitely suggest getting one sooner but this is Friday so your scan is not far away-Wishing You The Best-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• kgasmart
    Options
    wbcgaruss said:

We Always Think

The worst once we have been through the cancer routine. For awhile every ache or soreness in the area or anywhere else makes us uneasy again. I have never had the soreness you are experiencing but occasionally I get sort of a charley horse effect in one of my neck muscles on the left side and it is a bit painful but I lift my head up and stretch it and it resolves it. I have had aches and unusual things like you are experiencing and waited a bit and they pass. I guess it is up to the individual whether they feel a certain pain or discomfort needs checking right away. Since you find nothing obvious probably only your upcoming scan will show if somethings going on. Since your scan is next week I would just wait and try taking something for the pain like Tylenol or Aspirin or if the pain is really bad call your care team and ask them to give you stronger pain meds or move your visit up. If your scan was months from now and not next week I would definitely suggest getting one sooner but this is Friday so your scan is not far away-Wishing You The Best-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

Thanks Russ

Day 6 and I've been prepared to call my ENT today but the swallowing discomfort has eased a bit. The neck in general has felt "tight" on the right side over the past week, an everyday sensation for more than a year after I had my surgery/radiation but it had gone away and stayed away for nearly 2 years... now this.

So should I rush in to get scoped and see if there's something there causiing all this? Wait for my scan (four days from now) and follow up with my surgeon (two weeks from now)?

I drive my wife crazy because I'm a total paranoid hypochondriac. But how can you not be after going through what the people on this board have gone through?

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited May 2021 #4
    Options
    kgasmart said:

Thanks Russ

Day 6 and I've been prepared to call my ENT today but the swallowing discomfort has eased a bit. The neck in general has felt "tight" on the right side over the past week, an everyday sensation for more than a year after I had my surgery/radiation but it had gone away and stayed away for nearly 2 years... now this.

So should I rush in to get scoped and see if there's something there causiing all this? Wait for my scan (four days from now) and follow up with my surgeon (two weeks from now)?

I drive my wife crazy because I'm a total paranoid hypochondriac. But how can you not be after going through what the people on this board have gone through?

Well I Just

Had a cramp-type thing yesterday on my right side. Another charley horse-type cramp and again if I lift my head up as far as I can and stretch it goes away. I think once we have this treatment radiation effects can last and come and go. I will say it takes a number of years after this treatment to get comfortable and not worry about new pains or something unusual. Especially in the area where we had cancer. kgasmart if you really feel uncomfortable don't wait to call your ENT's office and tell them what is going on and ask them their opinion of whether you should come in. Or just call and tell them what is going on and you want an appointment to get this checked. Better safe than sorry. Rather than waiting for your scan and the surgeon's follow up go ahead and call your ENT he is considered your front-line defender in this H&N world. I have been through 2 major things and every time after treatment is over your main follow-up is the ENT he is the frontline guy to monitor you for anything suspicious. kgasmart are you not still seeing your ENT like maybe every 3 or 6 months? No matter when something comes up call them and they will most likely have you come in and once checked out it is probably nothing to worry about and you can put your mind at ease. Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• kgasmart
    edited May 2021 #5
    Options
    wbcgaruss said:

Well I Just

Had a cramp-type thing yesterday on my right side. Another charley horse-type cramp and again if I lift my head up as far as I can and stretch it goes away. I think once we have this treatment radiation effects can last and come and go. I will say it takes a number of years after this treatment to get comfortable and not worry about new pains or something unusual. Especially in the area where we had cancer. kgasmart if you really feel uncomfortable don't wait to call your ENT's office and tell them what is going on and ask them their opinion of whether you should come in. Or just call and tell them what is going on and you want an appointment to get this checked. Better safe than sorry. Rather than waiting for your scan and the surgeon's follow up go ahead and call your ENT he is considered your front-line defender in this H&N world. I have been through 2 major things and every time after treatment is over your main follow-up is the ENT he is the frontline guy to monitor you for anything suspicious. kgasmart are you not still seeing your ENT like maybe every 3 or 6 months? No matter when something comes up call them and they will most likely have you come in and once checked out it is probably nothing to worry about and you can put your mind at ease. Take Care-God Bless-Russ

Actually

I'd called the ENT yesterday to try and get in to see her and they can't fit me in until June 3 - and my appointment with the surgeon is June 9. So I'll just wait for the surgeon (my CT scan is in 2 days) at this point.

I haven't been to the ENT in a while, for a long time I'd go for every twinge but things had been stable/fine until last week. Last time I saw the surgeon was one year ago, he was pleased as punch, no sign of recurrene and I only needed to go for yearly checkups now, etc.... obviously a lot can change in a year.