Targeted Therapy I'm confused

Options
worriedson714
worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member

Hello 

So as we wait for the biopsy my dad saw his oncologist and I brought up targeted therapy and he said he run a test and targeted therapy wouldn't work . So I'm confused cause I thought targeted therapy could work on any cancer so my question is why wouldn't targeted therapy work is it my dad's brca mutation ? Or his neurofibromatosis or Cowden Symdrome ? It just doesn't make sense to me and i was stupid and didn't ask the oncologist to explain I have researched this found nothing so hoping someone can help me out that understands targeted therapy . 

Comments

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    What is targeted therapy? Or

What is targeted therapy? Or what you meant when you asked if targeted therapy would work.

I am on a targeted drug, so I know how those work.

• abita
    edited May 2021 #3
    Options

Reading your post, I wonder if you shouldn't find him another oncologist. One who would answer the question that you are asking here, why won't it work? Granted, they are super busy saving lives, but the one's I have had will answer in depth enough for me to understand when I ask. They don't necessarily offer up information, as there is so much to know, but when you ask, they should explain. And mine have always been good about that. This group is wonderful, and supportive, and can help with a lot of questions, but it is super important to have your health care team, who know the specifics and have the degrees, answer your questions. Not even just for knowledge, but to know that they are hearing your concerns.

• worriedson714
    edited May 2021 #4
    Options
    Avastin

I was talking about drugs like avastin when I asked and your totally right we are getting a second opinion now from another oncologist but so far the second opinion agrees with the first . Not about the targeted therapy thing I plan to ask the second opinion about that monday but your totally right my dad's oncologist now doesn't explain well but I also should have asked for explanation I guess . Cause now I am wondering why would a whole group of drugs not work for my dad ? I am wondering if he didn't really understand what I meant when I asked . 

• abita
    Options
    When  I got a second opinion

When  I got a second opinion I was told no avastin for me because I had had a rupture in my colon.  The targeted drug I am on now is erbutix. I believe it doesn't work for those with a mutation.  I could probably take avastin now because there was so long ago with the breaking through my colon.  Right now though I am simply praying that erbutix keeps working to keep my tumors stable.   Well to be honest I pray that it makes them shrink but I'm happy with stable Well to be honest I pray that it makes them shrink but I'm happy with stable

• worriedson714
    edited May 2021 #6
    Options
    mutation

So maybe it's cause my dad has a mutation then thanks for the help 

• abita
    Options

mutation

So maybe it's cause my dad has a mutation then thanks for the help 

This seems to be very

This seems to be very informative. It is from this site, and mentions all the targeted drugs for colon cancer. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/treating/targeted-therapy.html

And I should have said perforated instead of ruptured. My cancer was discovered because of a massive tumor that perforated my colon, and the infection almost killed me. Since a possible side effect of Avastin is perforations, wasn't good for me.

• flutemon
    flutemon Member Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Targeted therapies

The way I think about "Targeted Therapy" is that the drug targets something specifically.  They can target mutations and amplifications.  I was HER2 amplified for a while and was on 2 drugs that targeted that amplification.  So now my HER2 amplification has gone away, and we're trying something else that targets the other amplifications I have.

• abita
    Options
    flutemon said:

Targeted therapies

The way I think about "Targeted Therapy" is that the drug targets something specifically.  They can target mutations and amplifications.  I was HER2 amplified for a while and was on 2 drugs that targeted that amplification.  So now my HER2 amplification has gone away, and we're trying something else that targets the other amplifications I have.

They can also block proteins

They can also block proteins like mine does or feeder veins to the tumors.

What is an amplification?

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    edited May 2021 #10
    Options
    Monoclonal Antibodies

I think monoclonal antibodies belong to targeted therapies. I think they target a specific receptor in the mechanism of cancer growth which are only present in these cells that have the mutation. 

Bevacizumab/Avastin targets VEGF and yes you can use it as part of 2nd line therapy also for KRAS mutated cancer. There also EGFR monoclonal antibodies, dont work in KRAS mutations. 

If you just had surgery you cant use them, otherwise the wounds will not heal. I am sure there also other contraindications but the doctor should mention why they are not an option or when they can be an option. 

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    abita said:

They can also block proteins

They can also block proteins like mine does or feeder veins to the tumors.

What is an amplification?

I think

I think amplification is the amount of HER2 you can have. You check how my are present or not. At some point treatment is indicated but sometimes they are present but not enough that treatment is necessary.