Chemo advice

Options
124»

Comments

• Real Tar Heel
    Real Tar Heel Member Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Chemo 3

Bloodwork looks good mcv on the rise hoping it's a good sign . Hiccups bad need to find something that works for them overall things seem to be good .

Sounds like some good news,

Sounds like some good news, you guys deserve it. I posted in another thread about nausea and being over medicated, something you might want to look out for.

• worriedson714
    worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
    edited September 2021 #63
    Options
    Update

Dad is doing pretty good on his chemo off week besides it seems like his neuropathy is getting worse . Anyone had worsening neuropathy on folfiri ? 

• worriedson714
    Options
    Chemo 4

Chemo 4 went pretty well dad got real alot of nausea close to the end of the infusion but the nurse was so nice gave him a nausea med boom worked don't be afraid to ask infusion nurses for them they give them . I been really surprised my dad isn't having alot diaherra like everyone seemed to think cause of the colostomy . The infections seem to have stopped since he's been on blood thinners not sure exactly what that means . Could the blood clots in his lungs been causing the infections ? 

Fatigue is there but dad pushes threw it going fishing and even went to a festival today he says getting out helps with the fatigue . Got my dad a new cushion to sit on and a donut seems to help with the butt pain a good amount maybe he's getting a boney butt ? Not sure how to help with losing muscle mass is the butt hoping yall got some ideas . 

Blood work has been good wondering if there is any foods to help raise the MCV of someone ? Dad would rather do that then supplements . Oncologist appointment went pretty good he was concerned about the butt pain said could be cancer causing could not . Scheduled scan for oct 8th hoping to have some good results but the oncologist says he doesn't expect it to shrink which is weird maybe he's just trying to not give false hope ? When dad pushed him though he did say there was a chance it could . 

All and all I have been happy with how things are going may sound werid but for a guy with colostomy urostomy kidney drain blood clots in his lungs a history of infections things could be going much worse . So proud of my dad he isn't sleeping to much and just laying in bed this time . He pushes threw it all and is out there enjoying make the best of things it is inspiring to me . 

(Little more good news well maybe oncologist did tell my dad if kidney doctor was okay with it he felt kidney drain could come out and continue to do chemo . Dad was so happy and instantly wanted it out of course . Which scares me more infections to come but we will see what happens when we see the kidney doctor at our next appointment )

• DanNH
    DanNH Member Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    He could be feeling

He could be feeling discomfort from the tumor in the colon if it is close to the rectum. We have had some of that but it has gotten better with the chemo. 

• worriedson714
    edited September 2021 #66
    Options
    DanNH said:

He could be feeling

He could be feeling discomfort from the tumor in the colon if it is close to the rectum. We have had some of that but it has gotten better with the chemo. 

Well

He did have rectal so tumor was way at bottom. So that was my fear and since it's getting worse on chemo my worry  is chemo is  not working but the donut is working making pain better so I hope he is just losing muscle mass in buttocks.

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    edited September 2021 #67
    Options
    beta glucan 1,3 1,6 is a

beta glucan 1,3 1,6 is a potent powder, just a pinch in his drink is all.  It has no taste.  There are slao melt in your mouth strips.

The other thing is I am not sure if the donut is good or not.  It might be counter productive in allieving bone pressure but might put more pressure on area cancer is suspected.  Listen to the details of what he says about the pain in the days to come.

• worriedson714
    edited October 2021 #68
    Options
    chemo #5

Dad had a fever of 100.5 at the start which caused concern with the infusion nurse but after the blood work came back oncologist went ahead with chemo . Big changes I noticed was fatigue is clearly getting worse sleeping more often but still able to get up and go to grocery store and football game last week . Butt pain is still there comes and goes seems better when he isn't constipated so that may be the cause the doctors seem to think . Loose stools also picking up the last two days imodium not working called oncologist he suggested some kind of injections in the belly to help with this . Anyone ever had these type of injections ? Dad is worried about getting them wants to wait a few days to see if it improves without the injections . Ct scan for the 8th oncologist wants a " baseline " hopefully will have some good news to update everyone on then . 

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    Options

chemo #5

Dad had a fever of 100.5 at the start which caused concern with the infusion nurse but after the blood work came back oncologist went ahead with chemo . Big changes I noticed was fatigue is clearly getting worse sleeping more often but still able to get up and go to grocery store and football game last week . Butt pain is still there comes and goes seems better when he isn't constipated so that may be the cause the doctors seem to think . Loose stools also picking up the last two days imodium not working called oncologist he suggested some kind of injections in the belly to help with this . Anyone ever had these type of injections ? Dad is worried about getting them wants to wait a few days to see if it improves without the injections . Ct scan for the 8th oncologist wants a " baseline " hopefully will have some good news to update everyone on then . 

Against diarrhea

Against diarrhea, try psyllium. Hope that is the correct name. Have 5g or so with a lot of water to drink afterwards. Takes 12 or 24h to help. It is way better than imodium because it thickens stool so the intestines can absorb it again. It has a risk of ileus, so be a little careful but it is really nice. My dad also took it after several days of diarrhea when imodium was ineffective. Helped way better!

• worriedson714
    Options
    Tueffel said:

Against diarrhea

Against diarrhea, try psyllium. Hope that is the correct name. Have 5g or so with a lot of water to drink afterwards. Takes 12 or 24h to help. It is way better than imodium because it thickens stool so the intestines can absorb it again. It has a risk of ileus, so be a little careful but it is really nice. My dad also took it after several days of diarrhea when imodium was ineffective. Helped way better!

thanks for this

Will for sure check into this anything not a injection is much more likely my dad uses .