Biopsy to confirm anal cancer

Options
mg042721
mg042721 Member Posts: 7

New here......I'm so worried. I'm having a biopsy under general anesthesia on Tuesday. My surgeon believes the mass is about 4 centimeters. With a tumor that size what is the liklihood that it is curable? The likelihood that it has spread? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

  • pializ
    pializ Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Mg0

    Hi! 
    Sorry you had to find us, but you'll find good support here! Back in 2012 I had a 3cm tumour and it had spread to a lymph node in the mesorectum. They thought there was another lymph node involved but that was my right ovary??? Anyway, I had the usual protocol of radiotherapy & chemotherapy (mitomycin & flouracil). Still in the 'so far, so good' club.

    Good luck with your journey! It's harsh, but doable. I remember looking through a lot of old threads on here to gather as much information as possible to prepare me for 'the project'

    Take care

    Liz

  • annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    How did the biopsy go?  I was

    How did the biopsy go?  I was where you were almost three years ago now.  Diagnosed at age 51, turned out to be stage 3a.  (One lymph node involved.)  The statistics have really changed over the last several years.   Don't get too worried by reading old statistics.   Feel free to reach out if you did get a test which shows cancer. 

    Best wishes, 

     

  • acooper
    acooper Member Posts: 3
    Options
    newly DX

    Thank you for posing the questions and thank you annie4145 for stating that things have changed over the years. I had surgoen DX as anus squamous carcinoma on Monday, had CT and MRI on Wed, read the results on my Mychart, trying to play Dr. and see what it all means.  See oncologist on Tuesday, trying to stage it myself which is crazy, but i might be like you, the cancer had not spread to other areas, but had appieared in one lymph node near the cancer and another looked suspicious......so hard to wait and see but have learned so much on this site.  Admire those that have been through the treatment and came out the other side, hoping i can get through it as well as others. Thanks to all on the site!

    Anita

  • annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    acooper said:

    newly DX

    Thank you for posing the questions and thank you annie4145 for stating that things have changed over the years. I had surgoen DX as anus squamous carcinoma on Monday, had CT and MRI on Wed, read the results on my Mychart, trying to play Dr. and see what it all means.  See oncologist on Tuesday, trying to stage it myself which is crazy, but i might be like you, the cancer had not spread to other areas, but had appieared in one lymph node near the cancer and another looked suspicious......so hard to wait and see but have learned so much on this site.  Admire those that have been through the treatment and came out the other side, hoping i can get through it as well as others. Thanks to all on the site!

    Anita

    Hi Anita,  so sorry that you

    Hi Anita,  so sorry that you are going through this.  I can clearly remember how I felt three years ago when I was diagnosed.  Which hospital will you be treating at?   Hope that you get into treatment relatively soon (it takes a few weeks to get everything sorted out.  I was diagnosed July 5th and didn't start treatment until late August, but part of the delay was my fault for switching from Stanford to USCF.  Hang in there, and let us know how it is going.

     

     

  • acooper
    acooper Member Posts: 3
    Options
    annie4145 said:

    Hi Anita,  so sorry that you

    Hi Anita,  so sorry that you are going through this.  I can clearly remember how I felt three years ago when I was diagnosed.  Which hospital will you be treating at?   Hope that you get into treatment relatively soon (it takes a few weeks to get everything sorted out.  I was diagnosed July 5th and didn't start treatment until late August, but part of the delay was my fault for switching from Stanford to USCF.  Hang in there, and let us know how it is going.

     

     

    Thank you for your

    Thank you for your encouragement. I am getting treatment at the University of Kansas,  I the see radiologist oncolgist tomorrow to do CT Simulation, get PIC line on June 4th, expecting treatment to begin on June 7th.  That will be almost exactly 4 weeks from my initial exam to treatment, i guess that is about average.

    Looking forward to getting week 1 behind me. I appreciaed the individual who shared her week by week journey with all of us, that was very helpful!

    Thanks again,

    Anita

  • mg042721
    mg042721 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Starting treatment

    Thank you all for you encouraging words. It's reassuring to learn that there are people who have had anal cancer years ago and are doing fine now. I have stage 2 with no lymoh node involvement. I start Monday with chemo and radiation. My PICC line is in. I'm nervous but anxious to get started and get this cancer out of my body. Does anyone have any advise or suggestions for coping with the side effects of treatment?

  • mg042721
    mg042721 Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2021 #8
    Options
    acooper said:

    Thank you for your

    Thank you for your encouragement. I am getting treatment at the University of Kansas,  I the see radiologist oncolgist tomorrow to do CT Simulation, get PIC line on June 4th, expecting treatment to begin on June 7th.  That will be almost exactly 4 weeks from my initial exam to treatment, i guess that is about average.

    Looking forward to getting week 1 behind me. I appreciaed the individual who shared her week by week journey with all of us, that was very helpful!

    Thanks again,

    Anita

    Hi Anita, 

    Hi Anita, 

    I start my treatment on the 7th also. Will you have chemo and radiation your first week as is standard? Good luck!

  • t519
    t519 Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Worried while waiting

    I have an appointment with a surgeon for the 21st of June. The colonoscopy done last week has not come back with the pathology report, but I wanted to give some background for support. I had been bleeding off and on since August of 2018. I was told that it was probably a hemorrhoid and to come back if the light blood when wiping got worse. I didn't do any searching and had blood off and on for years without any pain associated. No weight loss....no other symptoms. 

    I am a single paret without the father involved with my son, sadly, and I live away from family (only child with my mom providing care to my father who was diagnosed at Stage IV for kidney, lung, and bone)...so I am trying to sort all of this out in my head..and I am not doing well with it. 

    I am waiting on the pathology report, but one small polyp was removed, and another polyp was listed as anorectal polypoid lesion and I woke up at the end of the colonoscopy to hear four doctors speaking about it. I called the surgeon today and she mentioned that they don't have report back but she was trying to rule out SCC and had the additional doctors in because they were trying to see if it was more towards the rectum or more towards anal. She said the mass was moderate size (around 1cm) and looked like it was more towards the anal. She can't say it's cancer, but I am trying to brace myself...as it's not looking good. 

    I am incredibly nervous and can't focus on anything else. Waiting for the report and praying, but also trying to stay encouraged by survior stories on this. 

    T

  • mg042721
    mg042721 Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2021 #10
    Options
    t519 said:

    Worried while waiting

    I have an appointment with a surgeon for the 21st of June. The colonoscopy done last week has not come back with the pathology report, but I wanted to give some background for support. I had been bleeding off and on since August of 2018. I was told that it was probably a hemorrhoid and to come back if the light blood when wiping got worse. I didn't do any searching and had blood off and on for years without any pain associated. No weight loss....no other symptoms. 

    I am a single paret without the father involved with my son, sadly, and I live away from family (only child with my mom providing care to my father who was diagnosed at Stage IV for kidney, lung, and bone)...so I am trying to sort all of this out in my head..and I am not doing well with it. 

    I am waiting on the pathology report, but one small polyp was removed, and another polyp was listed as anorectal polypoid lesion and I woke up at the end of the colonoscopy to hear four doctors speaking about it. I called the surgeon today and she mentioned that they don't have report back but she was trying to rule out SCC and had the additional doctors in because they were trying to see if it was more towards the rectum or more towards anal. She said the mass was moderate size (around 1cm) and looked like it was more towards the anal. She can't say it's cancer, but I am trying to brace myself...as it's not looking good. 

    I am incredibly nervous and can't focus on anything else. Waiting for the report and praying, but also trying to stay encouraged by survior stories on this. 

    T

    Good morning,

    Good morning,

    The waiting is definitely the hardest. I was where you are about a month ago. If it is cancer it sounds like it is very small and very treatable. Once I knew the results and the plan for treatment I could focus on that. I am stage 2 and start treatment next week. Positive vibes going your way. Please come back on if you have any questions. 

  • t519
    t519 Member Posts: 31
    Options
    mg042721 said:

    Good morning,

    Good morning,

    The waiting is definitely the hardest. I was where you are about a month ago. If it is cancer it sounds like it is very small and very treatable. Once I knew the results and the plan for treatment I could focus on that. I am stage 2 and start treatment next week. Positive vibes going your way. Please come back on if you have any questions. 

    Thank you so much for your

    Thank you so much for your response. I am trying to stay positive, and I am so happy for this area to read the stories of others. 
    I will definitely be back to share the outcome. I am sending positive vibes to you on your journey. Thank you for your encouragement. 

     

     

  • PainInTheBum
    PainInTheBum Member Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    mg042721 said:

    Starting treatment

    Thank you all for you encouraging words. It's reassuring to learn that there are people who have had anal cancer years ago and are doing fine now. I have stage 2 with no lymoh node involvement. I start Monday with chemo and radiation. My PICC line is in. I'm nervous but anxious to get started and get this cancer out of my body. Does anyone have any advise or suggestions for coping with the side effects of treatment?

    I was just where you are now 2 years ago...

    Take it one day at a time.  The things I worried about the most never happened.  It's a rough treatment but nothing you can't get through.  Many times I cursed and said lots of Hail Mary's and Our Father's (especially when I needed to go to the bathroom)  What helped me when it started to get really sore down there after "going", I'd spray the toilet paper and blot myself clean and then jump in the shower to clean off better.  It seemed once I did that it wasn't soon after that I'd have to start all over again.  I stayed in a recliner in the room right next to bathroom and a few times I still couldn't make it in time.  Allow yourself to rest a lot.  I was given pain pills before my treatment began but only used one after dinner so I could get through the night ok.  I didn't want to abuse them in case I really needed them.  Use lots of cream when you get sore, drink lots of water.  Just keep remembering that treatment is only 8 weeks and you WILL get through it.  The worst for me was towards the end of treatment and then about 2 weeks after.  This forum was very helpful in getting me through it all.  It's scary but there are many on here that will help you with any questions you might have.

  • annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    t519 said:

    Worried while waiting

    I have an appointment with a surgeon for the 21st of June. The colonoscopy done last week has not come back with the pathology report, but I wanted to give some background for support. I had been bleeding off and on since August of 2018. I was told that it was probably a hemorrhoid and to come back if the light blood when wiping got worse. I didn't do any searching and had blood off and on for years without any pain associated. No weight loss....no other symptoms. 

    I am a single paret without the father involved with my son, sadly, and I live away from family (only child with my mom providing care to my father who was diagnosed at Stage IV for kidney, lung, and bone)...so I am trying to sort all of this out in my head..and I am not doing well with it. 

    I am waiting on the pathology report, but one small polyp was removed, and another polyp was listed as anorectal polypoid lesion and I woke up at the end of the colonoscopy to hear four doctors speaking about it. I called the surgeon today and she mentioned that they don't have report back but she was trying to rule out SCC and had the additional doctors in because they were trying to see if it was more towards the rectum or more towards anal. She said the mass was moderate size (around 1cm) and looked like it was more towards the anal. She can't say it's cancer, but I am trying to brace myself...as it's not looking good. 

    I am incredibly nervous and can't focus on anything else. Waiting for the report and praying, but also trying to stay encouraged by survior stories on this. 

    T

    Hi, do you have your results

    Hi, do you have your results yet?  My kids were 10 and 12 when I was diagnosed in 2018.  I was so afraid, not just for myself but for my kids.  It will be helpful if you can get some support around you IF you are diagnosed.  Do you have friends or a support system in the area that can help with your child when you are going through treatment?  What is the age of your kiddo?   My 12 year old understood everything.  My 10 year old didn't understand.  But you can also wait to see what the test results are before you worry too much. Hopefully, it will turn out to be something not to be a problem.

  • annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    edited June 2021 #14
    Options
    mg042721 said:

    Starting treatment

    Thank you all for you encouraging words. It's reassuring to learn that there are people who have had anal cancer years ago and are doing fine now. I have stage 2 with no lymoh node involvement. I start Monday with chemo and radiation. My PICC line is in. I'm nervous but anxious to get started and get this cancer out of my body. Does anyone have any advise or suggestions for coping with the side effects of treatment?

    I haven't checked the Board

    I haven't checked the Board for a week or so.  My hospital gave me all the creams that they wanted me to use during treatment.  They didn't want me to buy over the counter items to use.  Take anti-nausea medicine if you even start to feel queasy.  I waited one time (just decided to "sleep it off".)  Not a good decision.  Just get rest, try to eat regularly so you don't lose too much weight.  Towards the end, I found taking a shower or bath helpful.  I hope the side effects stay small for you!  Best wishes...

  • t519
    t519 Member Posts: 31
    Options
    annie4145 said:

    Hi, do you have your results

    Hi, do you have your results yet?  My kids were 10 and 12 when I was diagnosed in 2018.  I was so afraid, not just for myself but for my kids.  It will be helpful if you can get some support around you IF you are diagnosed.  Do you have friends or a support system in the area that can help with your child when you are going through treatment?  What is the age of your kiddo?   My 12 year old understood everything.  My 10 year old didn't understand.  But you can also wait to see what the test results are before you worry too much. Hopefully, it will turn out to be something not to be a problem.

    Thanks so much for asking.

    Thanks so much for asking.

    I received the pathology report last Friday saying that the the biopsy came back without cancer but is an adenomatous polyp in the rectum (they had a hard time placing it based on it being on the line). They said I would need to have it removed by a colorectal surgeon, and I made the appointment and was able to get in this past Monday. 

    She schedule an endoscopic ultrasound for tomorrow, as she wants to be certain, so I am crossing my fingers that it can be removed and they don't find anything else. My son is 14. 

    I have spent the last few days reading on this forum often. I have been amazed by the strength of the individuals writing and the support for one another. 

     

     

     

  • caholz33
    caholz33 Member Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    mg042721 said:

    Starting treatment

    Thank you all for you encouraging words. It's reassuring to learn that there are people who have had anal cancer years ago and are doing fine now. I have stage 2 with no lymoh node involvement. I start Monday with chemo and radiation. My PICC line is in. I'm nervous but anxious to get started and get this cancer out of my body. Does anyone have any advise or suggestions for coping with the side effects of treatment?

    You got this!

    I am happy to hear Stage 2, that was my diagnosis in 2013.  I started treatment June 17, also with a PICC instead of port.  I'm glad that was my choice even though bathing was harder and I wasn't able to sit out in the sun because I'd feel some itchiness and moisture under the plastic dressing (didn't want to take the chance of infection).  Stay positive, eat healthy, keep yourself as germ-free as possible (don't touch anything in public, especially cash ugh).   Going to the bathroom will become an event.  Experiment with softeners and laxatives to try to keep a soft consistency (I always tried to err on the side of mild diarrhea vs. hardness/constipation, and would use Desitin to protect skin).  NEVER wipe, even at the beginning when the skin is stonger - only pat gently.  Use sensitive skin baby wipes.  At some point maybe just clean up with water poured over.  More later gto.  God bless.

  • caholz33
    caholz33 Member Posts: 45 Member
    edited June 2021 #17
    Options
    MG - First Week of Treatment Over!

    Hi MG,

    You started radiation this Monday.  Okay, this is amazing to me because I thought I'd NEVER forget ... but now I can't remember for certain if first chemo was Week One??  Wow.  I think it started the first week.  I hated that pump, ugh! Getting unleashed from that on Friday was so great.  It surprised me that I didn't feel any side effects during the chemo week ... I actually got worried that maybe I was being given a counterfeit drug.  Well, I finally did get some symptoms the following week, nothing too horrible but enough that I knew I had definitely been given chemo.  Do you have to go far for the radiation?  My place was about 35 minutes away.  For later, map out places with decent bathrooms along the way.  I followed advice to always keep paper towels, plastic bag, and change of clothes in the car, juuuuuust in case cramps get the best of you.  Thankfully it didn't get that bad but good to be prepared!  I remember I had one glass of wine that Saturday ... cheers to your week one down!  - A

  • annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    edited June 2021 #18
    Options
    t519 said:

    Thanks so much for asking.

    Thanks so much for asking.

    I received the pathology report last Friday saying that the the biopsy came back without cancer but is an adenomatous polyp in the rectum (they had a hard time placing it based on it being on the line). They said I would need to have it removed by a colorectal surgeon, and I made the appointment and was able to get in this past Monday. 

    She schedule an endoscopic ultrasound for tomorrow, as she wants to be certain, so I am crossing my fingers that it can be removed and they don't find anything else. My son is 14. 

    I have spent the last few days reading on this forum often. I have been amazed by the strength of the individuals writing and the support for one another. 

     

     

     

    Excellent news T519..  I am

    Excellent news T519..  I am happy for you! Sorry you have to go through surgery, but hopefully it won't take too long to recover from. 

  • br_bernardo
    br_bernardo Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    mg042721 said:

    Good morning,

    Good morning,

    The waiting is definitely the hardest. I was where you are about a month ago. If it is cancer it sounds like it is very small and very treatable. Once I knew the results and the plan for treatment I could focus on that. I am stage 2 and start treatment next week. Positive vibes going your way. Please come back on if you have any questions. 

    Prayers your way

    Hope things get better, keep us posted! 

    Love & prayers your way!

  • annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    edited June 2021 #20
    Options
    mg042721 said:

    Good morning,

    Good morning,

    The waiting is definitely the hardest. I was where you are about a month ago. If it is cancer it sounds like it is very small and very treatable. Once I knew the results and the plan for treatment I could focus on that. I am stage 2 and start treatment next week. Positive vibes going your way. Please come back on if you have any questions. 

    Hi MG

    You are already completed a couple of weeks, sending you best wishes... and hoping that the remaining weeks go by quickly.