First Post-Treatment PET was Clear!

Remington25
Remington25 Member Posts: 93 Member

Just a quik update.  i had my first post treatment PET scan done and my surgeon, oncologist and radiation oncologist all gave me the all cllear for now.  I will have scopes done every 3 months and CT scans (w/o contrast) every 6 months to begin just to keep an eye on a couple items but what an initial relief!  All the pain and suffering from recovering from my radical neck dissection and reconstruction and from them chemo/radiation are worth it.  I feel fortunate that my lingering issues are  slight neck stiffness, taste only at about 50-70% and saliva is maybe 25% BUT i have only been done with treatments for 110 days.  The taste I can deal with, but I really hope saliva can continue to return to a better degree. 

This site was so important to me to keep me sane from diagnoses through treatment and now into recovery that i just wanted to share for others that it can go better than many of the stories we all found online when we were first diagnosed.  I sincerely hope many of you also have similar or better results than me!  

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member

Fantastic news. What a joy to get that first scan result back with the all clear results. As you say it now all seems worth it what you went through. You have now gotten to the payoff of all clear. It looks like they are going to keep watch on you with follow-ups and that is good. Some of the side effects still have time to improve as I have heard of folks on here having changes and improvements anywhere from 2-5 years out. I am glad for you so very much and glad you found this site and  the folks here so helpful I know it has been a great help for me also-Wishing You The Best-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• RodgerM
    RodgerM Member Posts: 63 Member
    Congrats , i hope to be

Congrats , i hope to be saying the same in a few weeks...

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 483 Member
    edited April 2021 #4

These kinds of reports are ALWAYS good to read - CONGRATULATIONS!

MG

• ricksmithgolfer
    ricksmithgolfer Member Posts: 88 Member
    edited April 2021 #5
    Congrats

That is such awesome news. I am very happy for you and here is to many more NEDS!!!

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 323 Member
    Great news!

The worst is behind you now.  Look forward to better days ahead!

• ProustLover
    ProustLover Member Posts: 121 Member
    ERomanO said:

Great news!

The worst is behind you now.  Look forward to better days ahead!

Fabulous news!

So glad to hear your fabulous news.  There is a product called Lubricity (we got on Amazon)) that helped  during those initial hard weeks.   Eventually saliva improved to great extent, and an occasional biotene lozenge is all it takes.  Good chance yours will improve too!

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited May 2021 #8
    Thanks ProustLover

for the info on Lubricity I will check it out. Also, I just want to add that for overnight and other times I use Xylimelts and also chew gum during the day with a high concentration of xylitol in it. These products seem to help my saliva problem and also I am sipping coffee or water a lot. I was told that the higher xylitol is in the contents listing of a product the more xylitol it has in it. Take care-God Bless-Russ

• Remington25
    Remington25 Member Posts: 93 Member
    Thank you!

I continually am sipping coffee or water as well.  I use a couple humidifiers in our bedroom that helps a little.  I am fortunate where i have had pretty good teeth all of my life, but my teeth get sore when use xylimelts and sugar free candies to aid in my saliva so I have quit using them except when I am doing something and iI don't have time to sip (exercise, playing sports with kids, etc...).   

• RodgerM
    RodgerM Member Posts: 63 Member
    edited May 2021 #10
    Congrats!  I go this week for

Congrats!  I go this week for my first post treatment scan! 

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 177 Member
    edited May 2021 #11
    NED!

What a wonderful few words to get an all clear! Hope you have many more.

• Dave705
    Dave705 Member Posts: 62 Member
    edited May 2021 #12
    Congratulations

Wonderful news! That's the words you want to hear after all you have been through. Things can only get better from here.