Gaining weight after chemo

My dad is struggling to gain weight after his chemo & pancreatic surgery (he had the Whipple procedure). He is deemed cancer free, is eating all the time but cannot seem to gain weight. He is eating lots of protein, drinking an ensure, adding calories wherever he can and still cannot gain. He is somewhat limited in what he can eat as he also has Crohn's disease & IBS. Any advice on what could be going on?  He is 7months post surgery & 5 months post chemo. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Comments

• regivm
    regivm Member Posts: 1 Member

I (male, 60yrs old) too had a whipple surgery and chemo about 2.5 years back(and lost about 23kgs in the process and didn't gain any weight since then). I look quite emaciated and was advised to eat extra protein, ensure etc. etc. but continued to eat only normal food. This is because, all these food items come with many, many additives like preservatives, color etc. that can have consequences. Also we will be loading our systems that is already somewhat weak after the chemo.

My suggestion is to focus on the general fitness and energy level. I walk for about 6kms everyday and continue my job as a part-time trainer.

Convey my regard to your dad. All the best.