Second war with stage three S. C.

Options
josh r.
josh r. Member Posts: 264 Member

In January I had a successful PET Scan for stage III esophageal cancer. The report stated, 1) "No associated hypermetabolism." 2) "No lymphadenopathy." 3) "No worrisome hyper metabolism." 

When my oncologist presented my wife and I with this report we were, of course, filled with great relief and gratitude. My doctor, actually our doctor as he had treated my wife two years ago for stage III breast cancer, said simply, "Josh, it looks like your in a good place." 

This my second war with stage III scamous cell carcinoma. In 1991 I received chemo-radiation treatment for larynx cancer. This type of treatment was relatively new at that time and I remained cancer free for nearly 29 years for which I will be forever grateful. (I have an "About Me" page)

When this most recent cancer was confirmed this past summer at Stanford Med Center in Palo Alto Californi it was suggested that I have what sounded like a very complex surgery even though at the age of 74 it posed a good amount of risk. After it was described to me I opted out of that choice. We returned home to the central coast where I contacted my wife's oncologist and radiologist and asked about a combination of the two treatments.

When I had brought this up at Stanford they were very much against it due to all the radiation, and chemo, that I had received back in 1991. Both agreed to treat me so I began simultaneous chemo-radiation towards the end of summer 2020. My radiation treatments were Monday thru Friday for six weeks while chemo was once a week in the doctors office for two hours per treatment. I had labs weekly, prior to the chemo treatments, and the chemo had to be delayed because of low blood counts on two ocassions. Three months after my final treatments I had the PET Scan I described earlier. At the end of that wonderful meeting he said that he didn't need to see me for two months. While I was pleased to hear this, I also knew that I'd miss the reasurrance of the labs, if they showed improvement, and the pleasant staff as well as the doctors honesty. 

I should note that I didn't "skate" through treatments. While after two weeks I was able to swallow most foods, my appetite and taste buds were both lacking and my energy and stamina were in hideing. As days became weeks, body and soul suffered weakness, much discomfort and I gained a good measure of fear from time to time. 

My energy and strength are pretty much back to where they were a year ago, and while I, like most others, am suffering from the covid-despair I am so thankful to be here. I hope we can all say the same a year from now. 

All the best,

Josh r.

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    edited March 2021 #2
    Options
    Thanks for Posting -- New Patients need hope

Thanks for posting Josh,

Survivors that are newly diagnosed need to read these posts that have positive outcomes. One of the happiest days of my life after being diagnosed with esophageal cancer was when I met someone who also had esophageal cancer and survived. I did have an esophagectomy; and it is complicated surgery, but certainly survivable. That was 11 years ago.

Thanks for providing hope to folks who are new on this journey.

Best Regards,

Paul

• josh r.
    edited March 2021 #3
    Options
    paul61 said:

Thanks for Posting -- New Patients need hope

Thanks for posting Josh,

Survivors that are newly diagnosed need to read these posts that have positive outcomes. One of the happiest days of my life after being diagnosed with esophageal cancer was when I met someone who also had esophageal cancer and survived. I did have an esophagectomy; and it is complicated surgery, but certainly survivable. That was 11 years ago.

Thanks for providing hope to folks who are new on this journey.

Best Regards,

Paul

Positive thoughts

Thank you Paul, 

Giving out positive thoughts and honest hope are what I wanted to share. Your posts encouraged me to write, so I thank you for the push to encourage others Paul.

All the best, Josh r.

• ddavis42303
    ddavis42303 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2021 #4
    Options
    Congratulations.. My husband

Congratulations.. My husband was diagnosed as stage 4 in October 2020.  It sounds like he had the same treatment as you.  When we got his follow up PET scan it showed all lymph nodes had resolved and the original EC tumor was only a fourth the size.  He is on a different type chemo now to try and finish off the tumor.  If they recommend surgery, I am not sure what he will do.  It will take a lot of prayerful consideration.   

• josh r.
    edited March 2021 #5
    Options

Congratulations.. My husband was diagnosed as stage 4 in October 2020.  It sounds like he had the same treatment as you.  When we got his follow up PET scan it showed all lymph nodes had resolved and the original EC tumor was only a fourth the size.  He is on a different type chemo now to try and finish off the tumor.  If they recommend surgery, I am not sure what he will do.  It will take a lot of prayerful consideration.   

Wonderful progress to date!

Thank you. It certainly has been a team effort. What your husband, you and his medical team have accomplished to date is wondweful! Let's pray that they get it all and he doesn't have to make that difficult decision. 

All the best to both, josh r.

• Patty4bob
    Patty4bob Member Posts: 2
    Options

Brother diagnosed with Stage 4

My brother who is 70 years old was diagnosed with Stage 1 EC March 2021. After chemo/radiation which was to be followed by the surgery they did a petscan and said he is now Stage 4 as the cancer spread to his liver and bones. They will not be doing the surgery but instead chemo and radiation. He is having difficulty getting food down and has lost a great deal of weight and suffering from headaches to which his oncologist said in an email "we can put in a stent". I suppose she is thinking the stent because headaches might be caused by not enough nutrition? Has anyone here been at this Stage or had a similar story? I realize how serious this is but I just want to hear from others as it's so comforting and I trust these beautiful folks on this thread. Thank you so much and blessings to al of you. Patty

• Patty4bob
    Patty4bob Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Stage 1V EC

Brother started Stage 1 now Stage 4

• Deathorglory
    Deathorglory Member Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hello

Hello Patty,

I haven't been where your brother is, but I've had two stage IV recurrences, so I get how scary stage IV is.  Hopefully a stent might alleviate some of your brother's side effects.  I'm a little concerned about headaches since the brain is a spot that EC will metastasize to.  And most CT scans or PET scans don't include the brain.   I'd say it sounds grim for your brother, but I'm walking, talking evidence that terminal cancer can be beaten.  And I'm rooting for your brother.

Best Wishes,

Ed

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options
    I would look to get a CT scan that includes the brain

Hi Patty,

I am so sorry that your brother is having these challenges. I agree with Ed that your brother's headaches are a concern. I think the stent could be helpful for the swallowing issues (although many people here have had issues with stents .e.g. pain and stents migrating as the tumore shrinks with chemotherapy). I am not sure if they have considered a feeding tube. But I would want to ask if a "full body" CT has been done, or a PET. If your brother is becomming forgetful or struggles to find words when he speaks I would demand a CT that included his head. I am not trying to raise concerns here, but it is not clear to me how a stent is going to address headaches.

Best Regards,

Paul