Tightness in Neck and Jaw

Options

I just joined this support group. I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma located in my left lower jaw bone area in October of 2020. After two ct scans and one pet scan that showed the cancer did not spread to any other areas my bone surgeon scheduled my surgery for December 10th 2020. He removed the lower left jaw bone and reconstructed it with a bone and blood vessel from my left leg. He used a titanium plate also. I had a neck dissection during this surgery were they removed 93 lymph nodes for lab analysis. The lab results showed no sign of cancer. I then started 36 radiation treatments on January 11th 2021. At this time I still have 8 more tratments remaining. Just this week I have been experiencing a lot of discomfort and swelling in my neck, lower lip, jaw and chin. I am concerned about lymphodema and what action I need to take to keep this under control. I would appreciate any advise from patients who have had similar surgery and radiation.  

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,281 Member
    edited March 2021 #2
    Options
    Hello cap

I and many others on here have dealt with lymphedema. It seems to come along during and after cancer treatment. At the campus where I had my radiation and chemo treatments, there is also a massage therapist there. When my lymphedema kicked in I was sent to her and she did massage therapy for several sessions and showed me how to continue at home with doing the massage therapy myself. It was mostly around the neck area and she showed me how to put light pressure on the skin and slide it down to get it to drain. This can last for several weeks to several months but will eventually go away. They tell me the lymph system creates other new drain pathways. Check with your medical team and have them check you out and refer you to an appropriate provider. Also, there are many videos out there on dealing with lymphedema at home in different parts of the body but here is one for head and neck problems--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQdLZ26r-rU

Hope this helps but get with your care team so they can advise if necessary-Take Care-God Bless-Russ