Thickening at the base of the tongue

worriedson714
worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member

Hello everyone my dad has stage 3 rectal cancer usually I post over there but today we got my dad's pet scans results . Well it looks like he might still have some cancer in the pelvis the FDG Uptake went down so they are unsure . Something else popped up on the pet scan report that his scarying the crap out of me the left base of his tongue had FDG uptake as well as tissue thickening . As a nodule by the thyroid glad had increased uptake but he doesn't even have a thyroid . Anyone know what this could mean could my dad's rectal cancer have spread to his tongue ? My dad is really happy what might be cancer in his pelvis went down in FDG uptake I really don't want to burst his bubble the radiation oncologist didn't even mention the tongue thickening and uptake . 

Comments

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 483 Member
    edited February 2021 #2
    worried,

I am not a doctor, but as I understand, Rectal Cancer can spread but most often to places like lungs and kidneys.

There are likely other reasons that his tongue may have swollen. You should obviously be concerned. But, the rule is: it's not Cancer until a biopsy comes back and SAYS it's Cancer.

It's almost impossible not to worry about your Dad though, I know!

I wish both you and your Dad the best possible outcome, and a relatively easy treatment and recovery period!

mg

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited February 2021 #3
    Whoever Is Your

Doctor in this and ordered the PET Scan I would call and have them explain it to you. have all the questions you have written down so you don't forget any of them. Make sure they tell you the meanings of the scan and explain it in easy-to-understand terms. You won't know for sure till you talk to the doc. Take Care-God Bless-Russ