Elevated Triglycerides

Fleet Foot
Fleet Foot Member Posts: 23 Member

PCa almost three years ago via RALP.  No issues.  Semi-annual PSA's have shown PSA as virtually undetectable.  Recently saw my GP about a non-PCa issue.  He made, what I thought to be an unrelated question about me having an endoscopy and then ordered more blood work stating my triglyceride levels had gone way up since my last non-PSA blood work.  When I got home I checked my current triglyceride levels with my last one of about a year ago and found that they had increased (to 177) by about 50% from where they had always been.  Then I do some investigating (also referred to as Googling) and find several studies that show evidence of recurrent PCa in patients who never took statins before their initial surgery.  As I've been taking statins for over twenty years (I'm 74) for high cholesterol the study wouldn't have included Me.  Knowing that statins are credited with lowering some PSA levels anyway, anyone have any idea what my chances of recurrence might be?

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited February 2021 #2
    Don’t worry, be happy

Hi,

I would not worry about it as long as you PSAs comes back undetectable. No pain, no PSA, no sign of metastasi, sound like your doing great.  I have included a link which shows statins might reduce the risk of Prosate cancer.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/statins-and-prostate-cancer

Dave 3+4

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,641 Member
    Testosterone is made from cholesterol

• Fleet Foot
    Fleet Foot Member Posts: 23 Member
    edited February 2021 #4

Don’t worry, be happy

Hi,

I would not worry about it as long as you PSAs comes back undetectable. No pain, no PSA, no sign of metastasi, sound like your doing great.  I have included a link which shows statins might reduce the risk of Prosate cancer.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/statins-and-prostate-cancer

Dave 3+4

Thank you for the input

Dave, thanks.  I had seen that Harvard study previously.  I kinda' dismissed it at the time as it was focused on statins as opposed to triglyceride.  As I re-read the article it appears that my taking statins for so long should have lowered not only my triglyceride but LDL levels as well.  While they may have, my question remains.  Why are my triglycerides so high if the statins lowered them?  Would they have been even higher without statins?  FWIW my LDL levels are not bad but higher than normal.  My thinking has me understanding that men taking statins were excluded from the original study because those statins masked the existence of actual PSA levels.  Which would mean that the PSA levels are artificially lower than they actually are.   Anyway, thanks for the article as well as your input.  I'll find out later this week the latest blood test results hoping that the last triglyceride reading was a hiccup.

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited February 2021 #5
    Don't worry, be happy

Hi,

As far as I am concerned as long as I am undetectable my PCA is in remission, peroid.  At least for me I'm not going to worry about every little this or that.  It would probably make me more crazy than I already am, LOL.  I have been taking statins for years with my overall cholesterol bouncing between 150-170.  I just figure my variance on my cholesterol reading are due to diet.  Quit worrying and go out and enjoy life. There is another medication you can take I think with your statin that will lower your cholesterol even futher if I remember the TV commercial correctly.  I also suffer from CRS(can't remember sh..). 

Dave 3+4