5 year mark

I hit my 5 year cancer free date.  I no longer have any appointments.  The doctor surprisingly said the word "cured", which I liked, but will not fully believe.  I just wanted to say to those who are in the heat of the battle, you can do it. I was stage 4, tonsil cancer.  It was in my sinus, tongue, tonsil, lymph nodes....It was a hell of a battle and the last 5 years have been filled with bouts of anxiety, false alarms, and struggles.  But here 5 years later, about to turn 50 in a week, life is amazing.  This message board and another were so important.  To be able to ask questions and read old posts on whatever issue I was experiencing.  I appreciate everyone who comes on here to contribute.  I am unable to do it consistently, but I come back and visit at least once a month to check in.  In any event, I just recall when I was first diagnosed, I was looking for any positive stories of success to demonstate it can be done.  Well I will tell you its was the toughest physical and mental battle you will likely go through, but you can win.  You attitude is critical.  I have younger kids so failure was not an option in my mind.  Stay close to this group and keep up the good fight.  Thank you to this group for all the love and compassion over the last 5 years, it was a critical component to my battle against this disease.

Comments

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 323 Member
    Congrats!

Wow!  That sounds like it was indeed a helluva battle.  Like the lyrics of a [modern] country song I played a number of years ago said - "If you're going through hell just keep on going" - and it sounds like you did just that.  I can understand how you feel aout the word "cured" as I'm not sure any of us will truly accept that word.  After 5 years your doctors feel that you no longer need followups, and I wonder if at least some of us wouldn't feel a little anxiety from being cut loose.  Anyway, all the best to you for many multiples of 5 years ahead of you.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited February 2021 #3
    Congratulations cardoza33 On

Your 5 year anniversary. We celebrate along with you and wish you many blessings. It is nice to hear that others on this board and many old postings were of such great help and support to you. May you have many more anniversaries beyond number-Best Wishes-Take care-God Bless-Russ

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 177 Member
    edited February 2021 #4
    wbcgaruss said:

Congratulations cardoza33 On

Your 5 year anniversary. We celebrate along with you and wish you many blessings. It is nice to hear that others on this board and many old postings were of such great help and support to you. May you have many more anniversaries beyond number-Best Wishes-Take care-God Bless-Russ

The 5 year mark is fantastic as you had a wealth of issues with the beast. Congrats and live your life to the fullest!

• FOMC
    FOMC Member Posts: 25 Member
    Congrats

Really nice to hear when folks make it to the 5yr mark, especially being Stage 4. I'm in the same boat and just hit my 3yr mark so, fingers crossed and prayers sent up.

• Remington25
    Remington25 Member Posts: 93 Member
    edited February 2021 #6
    Congratulations!!!

That is great news and very encouraging for this if us early in the battle and/or recovery!!

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 467 Member
    edited February 2021 #7
    Congrats

You are cured, and congratulations. I'm almost 12 years out to the good, and last C Dr. I met with was 4 years out. None since. Life is good.Smile

• nancytc
    nancytc Member Posts: 70 Member
    edited February 2021 #8
    Wow! You could not have said

Wow! You could not have said it any better. And I concur with every word you wrote about this forum. This is an amazing group of individuals who have contributed so much specific knowledge about this disease... in real time and first hand. I am personally celebrating 4 years. Same, stage 4 tonsil. CONGRATULATIONS!!!      Nancy

• FVR58
    FVR58 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2021 #9
    You are an inspiration!

Congratulations.  You are absolutely right about the mental and physical struggles.  I think this is the most difficult time in my life.  I am trying to stay positive. Every day is a different ballgame. Right now, I am fighting mouth ulcers which make it almost impossible to eat, but I keep trying. Thank God for Magic Mouth Wash. Your kind words are inspiring and much appreciated.

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 483 Member
    Wow - well done!

Congratulations on hitting your 5 year mark; it sounds like you had a heck of a battle!

I'm am 18 months out ... and doing well, so far. I'm hearing that 2 years is a milestone.

Your story is an inspiration to me!

Thanks,

mg

• wild willy
    wild willy Member Posts: 63 Member
    survival

congrats. im 11 yrs. out. was stage 4 . 81 and still going strong

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited February 2021 #12

survival

congrats. im 11 yrs. out. was stage 4 . 81 and still going strong

Congrats To You wild willy

11 years out and 81 years old and going strong is something to celebrate every day.

Take Care-God Bless-Russ