Possible failed root canal / tooth extraction help needed

Bunnymom
Bunnymom Member Posts: 212 Member

Hi all,

I will be 7 years post treatment later this year. About 5 years ago, I had a root canal in a back molar. I'm experiencing some bleeding and am worried it may be failing. I have been to the dentist yet but plan to go. I'm very scared and worried about this. 
I wonder if anyone has experienced anything similar. I'm terrified that perhaps the tooth will need to be extracted as I'm not sure if there are any other options if a root canal fails. Does anyone know the possible options?  Can anyone help please?
thank you so much 

Comments

• ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    don't be worried

There are lots of variables to consider. Where was your cancer but more importantly where did you get the most radiation? Extractions are possible depending on your relationship with your dentist. My cancer was base of the tongue to the right of the midline and I had a normal in office extraction on the opposite side lower jaw bone with zero complications. That said you need to get to the dentist and get it diagnosed, might just be a bleeding gum or something simple along those lines which can be corrected with some dedicated care. I have had some difficult root canals but they always seem to get them done. Sometimes the canals can close up to much to get the plugs in place. There are remedies to that. I was once sent home with a chemical compound sealed in the molar to soften the canals. I then returned a week later and they were able to get inside the canals. There are options here, go slow and see what is suggested and post back. Hyperbaric treatments would probably be the last treatment option but I have had two extractions both without hyperbaric treatments. Get started as soon as you can, my dentist has remained available through most of the Covid restrictions. All the best!

• Bunnymom
    Bunnymom Member Posts: 212 Member
    edited February 2021 #3
    ratface said:

don't be worried

There are lots of variables to consider. Where was your cancer but more importantly where did you get the most radiation? Extractions are possible depending on your relationship with your dentist. My cancer was base of the tongue to the right of the midline and I had a normal in office extraction on the opposite side lower jaw bone with zero complications. That said you need to get to the dentist and get it diagnosed, might just be a bleeding gum or something simple along those lines which can be corrected with some dedicated care. I have had some difficult root canals but they always seem to get them done. Sometimes the canals can close up to much to get the plugs in place. There are remedies to that. I was once sent home with a chemical compound sealed in the molar to soften the canals. I then returned a week later and they were able to get inside the canals. There are options here, go slow and see what is suggested and post back. Hyperbaric treatments would probably be the last treatment option but I have had two extractions both without hyperbaric treatments. Get started as soon as you can, my dentist has remained available through most of the Covid restrictions. All the best!

Tooth situation

It's the back, left side molar. It's on the same side as the radiation. Last year, I attempted to have an implant on the bottom right. It failed and was the most excruciating experience. I have a bridge now. That's working out fine. I'm just so scared about this. I remember the debtist saying the root canal was iffy. It doesn't really hurt, no swelling. A little tenderness when I touch it. Doesn't hurt when I bite down, etc. would I see a periodontis? not sure how to approach this. Send me an email when you can. Thank you!! 

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited February 2021 #4
    Bunnymom said:

Tooth situation

It's the back, left side molar. It's on the same side as the radiation. Last year, I attempted to have an implant on the bottom right. It failed and was the most excruciating experience. I have a bridge now. That's working out fine. I'm just so scared about this. I remember the debtist saying the root canal was iffy. It doesn't really hurt, no swelling. A little tenderness when I touch it. Doesn't hurt when I bite down, etc. would I see a periodontis? not sure how to approach this. Send me an email when you can. Thank you!! 

Don't Put It

On the back burner. I recently-earlier this year had a tooth on the lower left the second molar from the back had an infection and my gum was swollen.

Went to the dentist and he took X-rays and found the tooth was had to come out.

Due to my cancer treatment and radiation, he referred me to an oral surgeon.

The oral surgeon agreed tooth needed to come out.

I had seen this oral surgical group before and they were familiar with my treatment and radiation.

The dentist had given me antibiotic penicillin pills to take in the meantime which took the swelling down and gave me some time to deal with it.

He seemed very concerned about my radiation and wanted me to get HBOT which I did I had 30 treatments ( Dives) before the extraction and 10 after but had to stop at 36 as the treatments were affecting my vision and in fact, I had double vision for about 2 weeks post-treatment.

I had my tooth pulled and the doc said there was blood flow but not as much as he would like to see. Thankfully, and certainly an answered prayer, my gum closed up and everything healed up nicely I found out at my 1 month follow up.

I tell you we got rid of cancer but folks on here still have extra things of concern we deal with over the coming years.

Get your tooth checked as soon as possible and if it needs extracted or even if not make your dentist aware of your radiation treatments and he may want to contact your radiation doctor and get access to them so he can see how heavy the dose and the fields of the radiation.

You have to be careful of Osteoradionecrosis with us H & N patients. Not to scare you but it can be serious. Here is a link  https://oralcancerfoundation.org/complications/osteoradionecrosis/  that explains it.

Best Wishes to you Bunnymom-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited February 2021 #5
    Just To Add

To my earlier post is you can get HBOT treatments but they say it does not guarantee the healing process after pulling a tooth. But it increases oxygen in the blood and I think blood flow in the bones hence helping the jawbone giving it a better chance of healing. So after my extraction would it have healed without HBOT I don't know but did not want to take the chance. I think the fact that the doc who pulled the tooth said there was blood flow but not as much as he'd like to see tells me there would have been less yet without the HBOT.  Also if you have a healing problem with a tooth or gums your doc may prescribe HBOT to help to heal. Hope this helps-Take Care-God Bless-Russ