What should I try to eat?

Options
Remington25
Remington25 Member Posts: 93 Member

I am officially 16 days post radiation treatment and today is the first time I could chew and swallow regular food.  I have to keep it to one side of my mouth as I still have a lingering sore along the right side of my tongue that really hurts when anything gets in it other than a shake running past (even plain water hurts it).  I ate small pieces of chicken breast, part of chicken nugget, some cheese a little greek yogurt but it is so disheartening becasue it tastes like rubber/wax and they all taste the same.  I am trying to get normal foods in to get some weight and strengh back because it is amazing how much strenghth I lost in such a short time.  I'm down about 17lbs and it has to be mostly muscle.  Anyways, what did you all eat to get through the no taste buds part of recovery.  Anything give you a sense of satisfaction at all?  I have to drink as I eat as I have basically no saliva but I really want to work towards a normal physical ability so I can do exercise and recreation again.  

I really hope taste comes back in the next couple weeks to some degree and the sore on my tongue goes away because that alone would make me feel like I'm getting normal again.  Anyways, thanks in advance for any replies and recommendations you may have!  

Comments

• PipLily
    PipLily Member Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just asked

my husband......he finished June 3rd. He said to tell you that sounds totally normal!! He said to be encouraged that you are able to chew and swallow solids, like chicken!!! He said his taste just gradually improved.

We rented a lake house in upper Wisconsin, and went arouNd the first of September- (we had actually rented it the previous March , knowing that treatment was starting, and we had no idea what September would look like. ) We took all of our kids. Remington ~ it was such a great week! We grilled steaks, fish, etc, and my husband enjoyed everything! But in June....he was right where you are now. Everyone’s timeline and treatment is so different, and it is so difficult no matter what- but it sounds like you are doing fantastic!! Just keep eating and swallowing, and trying all things. Taste will gradually come back. My husband still kept up with at least one high protein smoothie after treatment was completed, just to boost his daily calorie intake ( he was so sick of them though!!!). And omelettes were one thing he did enjoy throughout. Eat whatever you can tolerate. Be patient with yourself. Sounds like you’re doing wonderful!! And sounds completely normal  from all the reading on the forum that I’ve done, and personal experience with my husband’s recovery !  

• Sam999
    Sam999 Member Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I would say you are doing

I would say you are doing pretty good for 16 days post radiation. It took me about 4 weeks or so before I could taste things.  I needed more salt  then rest of the family members as the taste is bit faint. I tried bland foods - rice, sweet potato, oats, soft vegetables. 

I liked bolt house coffee arabica smoothie which has 30 gms of protein. Make sure you keep up your protein intake. 

Key is to try different foods - your taste buds will take time to adjust.  Eggs, milk, anything natural will taste the best. I also liked fresh coconut water a lot. 

Eat avocodos - easy to eat, good fat for energy 

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Eggs, over easy was what I ate for 2-3 months. Then chicken broth and oatmeal. I wasn't able to each chicken for about 4 months - so you're way ahead of where I was, at this point in your recovery!

I also found warm water easier to drink for a while. The cold water hurt...

You'll find something that works for you. As I mention, for 16 days out, you seem to be doing pretty well!

mg

• Remington25
    edited January 2021 #5
    Options
    When I said I was eating

When I said I was eating chicken breast it was very tiny pieces.  The last couple of days, my wife made chicken wild rice soup and the warmth and consistency made me almost feel like a human again.  Zero taste, but I preteneded I could taste it and it got me through.  I have had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner :-)

I normally love eggs, but man with no taste buds it is my least favorite soft food to try right now.  Anyone have other ideas to try with a similar consistency?  Chili?  

• motorcycleguy
    edited January 2021 #6
    Options

Chili is mentioned quite often, as being something that registers on the taste buds. In fact, I still will heat up a can of it once or twice a week, and the strong flavor cuts through the "taste fade".

As I mention, if you can keep ingesting by mouth, it's a great thing. I've read (and heard) about too many situations where an esophagus "forgets" how to function.

My GF's smoothies were all I could ingest, the last weeks of treatment. Solid food at that time, just didn't work. If you're eating chicken soup, you're doing great!

(I enjoyed reading that you pretended you could taste it. You wife will appreciate that!)

mg

• Remington25
    edited January 2021 #7
    Options
    I feel very fortunate that I

I feel very fortunate that I was able to do the reduced radiation trial. I had a really bad stretch but it was not nearly as long as many of you have endured.  the best advice I saw on here was to not be afraid to tell the medical team of your pain and they kept adjusting my types of medication based on the type of pain I was having. yes I overpaid for medicine because I have a bunch remaining but it really helped get me through the awful mouth sores and throat burn.... As of last night, I can chew and swallow basically anything as long as I keep it moist.  I have zero saliva.  I ate one saltine cracker and it turned into concrete beteeen my teeth.... 

• motorcycleguy
    edited January 2021 #8
    Options

I feel very fortunate that I

I feel very fortunate that I was able to do the reduced radiation trial. I had a really bad stretch but it was not nearly as long as many of you have endured.  the best advice I saw on here was to not be afraid to tell the medical team of your pain and they kept adjusting my types of medication based on the type of pain I was having. yes I overpaid for medicine because I have a bunch remaining but it really helped get me through the awful mouth sores and throat burn.... As of last night, I can chew and swallow basically anything as long as I keep it moist.  I have zero saliva.  I ate one saltine cracker and it turned into concrete beteeen my teeth.... 

I'm glad you're having open dialog with your Caregiver about your issues, like pain.

In my case, painkillers scare the heck out of me. I dumped out a whole bottle and a half of some Opiod (orange stuff). I took that for maybe 2 weeks at the worst point - then aspirin was good enough. My Oncologist brought up Fentanyl, and I told her I didn't even want to discuss that. 

If you're having problems with saliva - PLEASE always have water handy, in case anything hangs up in your throat! I'm still in the habit,, to this day - to never eat, unless I have water handy.

My saliva slowly came back to a point where it seems like it was before treatment - or at least I forgot what it was like. Maybe I just drool less, now!

You'll get it back; I know it's frustrating ... but you're getting to the good place. Life will just get a little better every day!

mg

• LASNYDER
    LASNYDER Member Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 2021 #9
    Options
    Hi Rem

Ok so I finished 6 weeks of IMRT radiation and chemo on Dec 22nd. I had stage 2 Vocal cord cancer. About half way through treatments everything began to taste terrible. I could eat but it was repulsive. So i switched to protein shakes made with Boost high calorie- 525 calories a box- get it on amazon. By the time I finished my 6 week stint I could only eat smoothies as it was extremely painful to swallow. I started at 162 lbs and went home at 144. The pain swallowing went on for about 3-4 weeks before subsiding but I wasnt eating solids because of the bad taste. This week my taste finally has started to get back to normal and what a blessing. I have started eating three meals a day supplimented with a box in morning and evening of boost. I can only eat very small portions and very slowly,I wash it down with sips of milk as my throat is still pretty raw and the food passing over it is painful. If I eat too fast or too much all the effort is for not as it comes back out. Have no idea if this is normal or not. So for me getting back eating real food began 7 weeks after my last treatment. The toughest part is that I have no desire to eat- just no appetite at all. If I was hungry I would be happier but as it is I have to force myself to eat. I hope that gets resolved soon.  Saliva is not a real issue unless you count the really thick stuff in my mouth that I constantly am spitting into a cup. I am told this is normal and have a rinse for it that helps especially at night before bed. I have lost a lot of stamina, I fatigue (get winded) really easy doing any physical exercise so I take it easy. The whole process is a slow road. I have found that every patient has their own list of side effects that they are dealing with after neck radiation. But I can say that I am gradually getting better. Had my first followup wednesday- 36 days, and there is no sign of cancer showing on the ct so I am thrilled about that. I expect that the whole healing process will take several more months , up to six months total. I still cannot speak above a whisper so I have little to no social life but I'm too tired for it right now anyway. 

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,294 Member
    edited January 2021 #10
    Options
    Congrats and Good For You

That you are finally starting to get some taste. That is a real blessing to taste food again. I read that you are going through a lot of things and food coming back up is one of them and I just think with your body beat up from this treatment you have to eat slowly and take things slowly. I too was fatigued and couldn't do much for a while and tired easily. No sign of cancer on CT scan YAY that's what you worked for. You are right about the slow process it will take a number of months but the good thing is it looks like you are on the upswing of recovery. Continued best wishes for a great recovery-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• The Cincinnati Kid
    The Cincinnati Kid Member Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Early days for me and only 1

Early days for me and only 1/3 way through treatment. Dont know if this will last but I've found hot foods that I cook to be awful and inedible. Last 2 days I've cooked chicken thighs and orange roughy.....well cooked with good flavors but just couldn't eat them.  But I've found that say, a chicken thigh next day when cold is doable with a bit of salad and some dressing. Also, ice cream ...no prob at all and even tastes normal and....bite sized bits of cheesecake currently going down well.

Also, potato chips various flavors / types, cheese, bacon as long as its been cooked mega crispy and cooled a bit and some crackers.

Most hot food I've cooked so far though....not good!

I'm gonna try cooking my chilli tomorrow. Hopeing that works whilst hot or warm at least.

Also....small portions multiple times per day.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,294 Member
    Options
    Good Deal

You are doing what you need to do trying different variations of food. As you have seen this treatment gives you changes and you are adapting-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• Remington25
    Options
    No taste other than a little salt

I've been trying everything in hopes to begin spurring on some taste.  I had the very high calorie boosts and proten shakes for about the last 5 days of and the 10 days after treatment.  Since then it has been mainly white chicken chili (very little spice), chicken wild rice soup, greek yogurt, eggs, bacon, cheeseburgers, etc...  I have to drink water the entire time I try a cheeseburger and bacon but it "feels good" to try and eat normal foods.  I will mainly stick to the chicken chili and wild rice soup as the warmth and texture gives me the best sense of normalcy still.  I am beginning to sense the subtle differences in taste but I can't identify them other than a little salt.  I have zero sweet senses.  I have tried sugar and even the sugar subtitutes that are supposedly many time sweeter and i get nothing.  Man do i miss taste and especially sweets!  I'm only 3.5 weeks out so I can't expect too much but I'm hopefull it begins soon.  Super Bowl won't be the same w/o enjoying the smorgesborg of foods!

• ByeByeCancer
    ByeByeCancer Member Posts: 54 Member
    edited February 2021 #14
    Options
    Make smoothies and add Benecalorie!

It sounds like you are doing well for 16 days post radiation! I'm pretty sure my hubs was still on a smoothie diet at that time. I added a little thing of Benecalorie to every single smoothie because it is a high calorie supplement but only adds one or two swallows to the drink. I swear I mention Benecalorie in every post because it was truly a lifesaver for my husband. You could also add heavy whipping cream to smoothies too for "easy" calories.

We had read somewhere about sucking on lemon candy and i think that was one of the first things my husband could taste.