Tongueometer after radiation?

Options

Hi,

Did anyone buy / use a tongueometer to rehab their tongue / swallowing post treatment? The swallow / speech therapist recommended I get one.

I'm 3 months post-radiation for NPC. They are expensive, so wondering if you had luck with them.

Thank you!

Tracy

Comments

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 465 Member
    edited January 2021 #2
    Options
    Also NPC

...but what is a tongueometer? I will Google it, but I'm saying I've never heard of it before. I'm 11 years and 9 months, now, since my last Rad session. I had flesh colored stripes running lengthwise on my tongue after the first week of concurrent Chemo & Rads, ice cubes were a Godsend during tx, and post-tx with the pasty-foam saliva my tongue does seem to get it's share of the stuff embedded in it. Thank you for bringing this $ gadget to my knowledge. And, best of luck to you, Tracy.

• johnsonbl
    johnsonbl Member Posts: 266 Member
    edited January 2021 #3
    Options
  • motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    edited January 2021 #4
    Options
    tk,

I was also NPC.

I am not a Therapist, and I don't know what a Tongueometer is. Certainly if you're having serious problems with healing/swallowing - you may want to follow his/her advice.

I'm 17 months out of treatment however, and I was pretty well back on a normal track - about 5-6 months out.

I wish you the best of outcomes - it's certainly tough for a while, but you'll get there ... one way or another!

mg