Twisted bowel 8 years after esophagectomy

Options

My husband had Ivor Lewis esophagectomy 8 years ago. He has been doing fairly well but was just admitted through the ER with what they thought was a blocked bowel. After some tests, IV medication , NG Tube, fasting, he is being sent home. The doctor said they think it is a flipped or twisted bowel that was likely caused by him esophagectomy.  They believe the treatment allowed the bowel to flip back into place. This was not the hospital where he had the procedure and was treated for his cancer. It makes me very nervous that they think it is this but is not more definitive. Has anyone else experienced this?

After the weekend I am going to contact Mayo Clinic where his original surgery was and see if I can get any more information. I am just very nervous that this may happen again. He was in severe pain and was in the hospital 3 days. Thank you for anyone's experience.

Comments

• Waco Gigi
    Waco Gigi Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Twisted Bowel

bmw71, 

I had an esophagectomy three years ago and am finally doing well.  My friend, who is an eight year survivor, did suffer a twisted bowel about a year ago.  He went back to the surgeon who did his esophagectomy at MDA and he had a one day procedure to untwist the bowel.  The surgery as it was performed eight or more years ago did sometimes result in bowel problems.  The surgery as it is done now does not seem to have that result.  You are wise to get the second opinion.