HBOT & Extraction

wbcgaruss
wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member

Hello, all I just wanted to share with you all that several months ago I had a tooth (Molar right side second from the back) get sore and my jaw swelled up a bit. The dentist referred me to an oral surgeon due to my cancer treatment for extraction. Upon seeing him he recommended HBOT therapy of 30 treatments before extraction and 10 after due to the chance of osteoradionecrosis (ORN), or bone death which is a possibility for us head & neck patients. Link-https://oralcancerfoundation.org/complications/osteoradionecrosis/. I told him I would rather just get the tooth out since I had good blood flow on my last extraction but have had a second dose of radiation since then. He seemed very concerned about the situation so it convinced me to do the HBOT  treatments. The dentist had prescribed a penicillin antibiotic for me which I took and the sore tooth and the jaw swelling went away giving me time to get the HBOT treatments. I had the treatments and the tooth extracted and today had my follow-up and Thank god and Praise the Lord it is all healed up the way it should and no worries. Many were praying on my behalf. This outcome really takes a load off. The thing I have going now is my vision is a bit blurry yet from the HBOT treatments and they tell you this is a side effect of that and don't get checked for glasses for 8 weeks at least. I am much better now as just after finishing HBOT I had double vision for about 2 weeks and was wearing an eye patch on my right eye to help with balance problems. Thankfully my double vision is gone now just blurry vision once I look in the distance. I read that most vision returns to the baseline within 8 weeks. So I feel very blessed and wanted to share my experience and to let the group know that HBOT may be a choice for you if you have had radiation close enough to the jaw area. OK everyone-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

Comments

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited November 2020 #2
    Thank you for the update

Russ, 

Thank you for all this information, it is very helpful and I can log it away in the event I have to travel the same road in the future. I have been maintaining my teeth, but we can never tell what may pop up. I have been fortunate so far. Again, thank you for this update.

My Best to You and Everyone Here

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 176 Member
    edited November 2020 #3
    MarineE5 said:

Thank you for the update

Russ, 

Thank you for all this information, it is very helpful and I can log it away in the event I have to travel the same road in the future. I have been maintaining my teeth, but we can never tell what may pop up. I have been fortunate so far. Again, thank you for this update.

My Best to You and Everyone Here

Tooth Extraction

Russ, thanks for sharing I will keep that in mind going forward. Glad it worked out well and healed good. Prayer is powerful. Take care

• D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    edited November 2020 #4
    Thank you!

My orthomaxillofacial surgeon has told me I can never have extractions.  I had a crown fail and fracture the tooth root beneath it.  My surgeon ground off the tooth to below the fracture, and left the remaining root in my jawbone.  The gum has healed over the top.  It has been over a year now, and there have been no issues with it.  I was fortunate to avoid infection.  Thanks again for sharing your experiences.  

Deb