Delays in CT scan wait time

Ag123
Ag123 Member Posts: 54 Member
edited November 2020 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hi everyone, 

Hope all is well. 

So my dad had his routine (annual) CT scans for chest and head/neck last Friday. His appointment was on Monday to go over the results. But something weird happened. The results for the chest scans were there, but the neck CT hasn't arrived yet. The oncologist said the head/neck CT is reviewed by a different radiologist... She called the him and said he hasn't even looked at them. She was hoping he'd see them before my dad leaves the facility but that didn't happen (despite her calling and requesting this). I spoke with her on the phone during the appointment and she mentioned she was going to call when she finds out. She basically mentioned that they always call, especially if they find something.

Anyway the rest of Monday and Tuesday went by and we haven't heard anything. I called the office and left a message today.

Does this happen at all? I'm hoping no news = good news, but the wait is driving us crazy. Frown I'm thinking, surely it doesn't take TWO days to interrupt a CT scan and send to the physican? Unless there's "something" going on that they maybe wanna discuss before talking to us (like... treatments? second opinions? weekly meeting?)

Sorry my anxious is through the roof. Hoping this is one of those "CT reporting" glitches that doesn't mean something bad.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,260 Member
    edited November 2020 #2
    Unless You Would Know

Otherwise I would say it is probably just a mix up. Could be the tech that was supposed to read it ended up sick for a couple days and it wasn't handed over to someone else. But usually they are looked at quickly whether something is there or not. They are just to read the scan and send the report to your doctor. I think the scan is also released to your doctor too and usually they can read them also. But it does sure add up to a lot of anxiety and worry and you always have your mind drift to the idea somethings wrong. So right now you are going through some scanxiety. Well keep strong and think to the positive and we pray all is good with his scans. Keep your thoughts in check and I would call everyday to remind them if necessary. They are in the business of treatments and scans so they have to know how stressed we are when waiting is too long. I don't remember the longest I waited for scan results but it wasn't long and they were pretty prompt. Prayers your way-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• Ag123
    edited November 2020 #3
    wbcgaruss said:

Unless You Would Know

Otherwise I would say it is probably just a mix up. Could be the tech that was supposed to read it ended up sick for a couple days and it wasn't handed over to someone else. But usually they are looked at quickly whether something is there or not. They are just to read the scan and send the report to your doctor. I think the scan is also released to your doctor too and usually they can read them also. But it does sure add up to a lot of anxiety and worry and you always have your mind drift to the idea somethings wrong. So right now you are going through some scanxiety. Well keep strong and think to the positive and we pray all is good with his scans. Keep your thoughts in check and I would call everyday to remind them if necessary. They are in the business of treatments and scans so they have to know how stressed we are when waiting is too long. I don't remember the longest I waited for scan results but it wasn't long and they were pretty prompt. Prayers your way-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

Scanxiety indeed!

Right? We always have the results of the scans to be reviewed at the time of the appointment. Maybe we feel entitled at this point LOL? 

You brought up an interesting point. My dad doesn't see his oncologist anymore (who btw is great at calling and keeping us posted if stuff light up on PET scans and such). Right now he only sees the his PA for screening (it's been about 3 years since he was diagnosed so I guess it's the PA who keeps tabs?). I don't know if the PA knew how to read the scan without the radiologist report?... hmmm 

Anyway. Today my dad called one more time and was told the nurse was going to give him a call. Still waiting. My mind keeps playing out extreme scnarios lol. What if they read it and decided it wasn't "urgent" so they didn't call us as quickly. But what if it was a complicated scan so they're consulting each other for solutions (in that case it would be a recurrence... still... I'd appreciate if someone called at this point). 

Sorry I don't deal well with waiting and scans. Thanks for the prayers! <3

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    edited November 2020 #4
    Ag123 said:

Scanxiety indeed!

Right? We always have the results of the scans to be reviewed at the time of the appointment. Maybe we feel entitled at this point LOL? 

You brought up an interesting point. My dad doesn't see his oncologist anymore (who btw is great at calling and keeping us posted if stuff light up on PET scans and such). Right now he only sees the his PA for screening (it's been about 3 years since he was diagnosed so I guess it's the PA who keeps tabs?). I don't know if the PA knew how to read the scan without the radiologist report?... hmmm 

Anyway. Today my dad called one more time and was told the nurse was going to give him a call. Still waiting. My mind keeps playing out extreme scnarios lol. What if they read it and decided it wasn't "urgent" so they didn't call us as quickly. But what if it was a complicated scan so they're consulting each other for solutions (in that case it would be a recurrence... still... I'd appreciate if someone called at this point). 

Sorry I don't deal well with waiting and scans. Thanks for the prayers! <3

Ag123,

I hope you've gotten the results by now - and that you had good news. It's always tough to wait for those!

It is my undestanding that the technician is prohibited from giving his/her opinion on scans - so it's normal they won't tell you anything.

I wish you the best of luck!

mg

• johnsonbl
    johnsonbl Member Posts: 266 Member
    edited November 2020 #5
    Delays like this aren't uncommon...

In fact it's often a week or two to get results if you are in more rural areas or part of smaller health systems.  Covid has really messed up an already inefficient system.  You already know that they have the head/neck portion read by seperate radiologists (which is a good thing...means they specialize)...but also could be a bad thing if they are out sick or quarantining.

My money is on in irritating delay...nothing nefarious to worry about.

• Ag123
    edited November 2020 #6
    So far

We haven't recieved anything. I'm going to drive by the office on Monday and ask if they could at least give me a copy of the results if they've recieved anything. I'll skip the phone consultation with the nurse I guess! 

Thank you all for the reassuring responses. I too am working on staying positive and rational lol. I know in my mind (despite the anxious voices) that it's much more likely to be a delay or glitch in the system than something concerning. 

Let's hope for the best 

• Ag123
    edited January 2021 #7
    Update

Hey guys.. I know it's been a while since I posted an update.. but everything looked stable on his scans thank GOD! 

For what it's worth, it took another WEEK for us know what was wrriten on that report. I encouraged my dad physically go to the office and speak with the doctor himself because they weren't returning our calls. -.- 

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,260 Member
    Gald For You Folks

That the scans are clear. Poor response on the physician's part though.