Options

Comments

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,649 Member
    edited November 2021 #62
    Options
    Preventing the sickness ?

Hi Cushions, 

I would add to your great post that vaccines do not prevent contracting the virus and passing it to other folks. They prevent the sickness in the majority of the herds. Baa Mee LaughingKiss

• hewhositsoncushions
    hewhositsoncushions Member Posts: 411 Member
    edited November 2021 #63
    Options
    Agreed that the vaccine does

Agreed that the vaccine does not prevent transmission but it does reduce the transmission rate and thus the effective R number. Without the vaccine, UK numbers would be as exponentially expanding as my lockdown waistline :)

• Grinder
    Grinder Member Posts: 487 Member
    edited November 2021 #64
    Options

Just my opinion:

Every study I have seen suggests that there is little to no difference between viral loads and transmission rates among vaccinated versus unvaccinated.

I only research independent studies. The CDC has demonstrated an unabashed bias in it's public policy.
    In short, the mRNA vaccine, which does not operate the same as any other vaccine in history, should be administered to the elderly and immune compromised and to those with other health issues, on a strictly VOLUNTARY basis, and at the advice of their own health care professional.
    This is just my opinion, but it is non-negotiable.

"A new Lancet study about the transmission of Covid-19 among the vaccinated vs. unvaccinated is raising questions for some about vaccine mandates. 

The study on “Community transmission and viral load kinetics” of the Delta variant in both the vaccinated and unvaccinated in the UK found the former were just as likely as the latter to spread Covid-19 among those in their household."

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2021/11/01/lancet-study-n2598344

But when governments push vaccine mandates, it creates suspicion among the populace. And when leaders and health agencies push misinformation as well, I have to ask myself "why?"... Why is Australia turning into a medical police state over forced inoculations over a vaccine that should be strictly VOLUNTARY? I fail to see how the government of Australia benefits from Big Pharma profits. What is the real motive here?
    If you haven't seen the videos coming out of Australia, I recommend checking them out.
    Is there a reason for this that I am missing? Are there any Aussies out there in this forum that can elaborate?

Like I said, there is still a lot to be discovered regarding this Covid phenomenon. This is not the time for oppressive government mandates in such a fluid medical landscape.
    And what do I do as a prostate cancer survivor? If I am part of the experimental group and have enjoyed the protection from Covid by the action of the Mabs, if I get the vax, it well may make future protection by Mabs ineffective. This should be MY decision and my health care professional who knows my medical history, not that of a bureaucrat in a federal agency with suspicious motives.

• VascodaGama
    edited November 2021 #65
    Options
    New variant with multiple mutations

Europe is now bracing for the third or fifth wave of covid19 pandemic.

The daily numbers of newer infections seems to be greater than the previous occurrences but the number of deaths is lower at those countries with the highest rate of vaccinated people. On the contrary, are Germany and Bulgaria with an huge number of daily deaths which contrast with the low percentage in vaccination in those countries.

Freedom day is over too. The closing down of social events, discotheques, and diminishing of restaurants clientele, or the obligatory use of masks at public places and the return to hold a vaccine certificate to enter in coffee shops, or when traveling, are now mandatory.

Some African countries where a new variant of the virus (observed in having more mutations than others) just appeared have been listed red and those arriving at the EU shores will have to show a negative PCR test for acceptance or will be turned back with a fine that can reach 20k euros to the carrier of such a person. In other words, vaccine certificates/passports are no more the tender document.

Pfizer is now working on a newer vaccine to cover the newer African variant. They are also testing a milder type of the present one to be given to children under 11 years old. According to the Portuguese health authorities, a higher percentage (65%) of the newer cases fall into the young between 12 and 19 years old. Hospitalization has been for guys between 39 and 49 and deaths for older above 75. About 15% of the total population have received already the booster vaccine third dose.

The African newer variant has been found in Israel and the UK but I believe it to be around the world already.

Let’s keep distancing, washing our hands and use the mask when with others. We PCa survivors are at high risk for a nasty infection.

? ? ?

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    edited November 2021 #66
    Options

I read that Portugal has a high vaccination rate, one of the highest in the world.  Can you let us know why that is? Here in the USA there is resistance to getting the shot.  

• VascodaGama
    edited November 2021 #67
    Options
    The Navy stepped in

The portuguese vaccination program had a bad start with political figures heading the campaign. It should start by vaccinating the holder above 80 year-olds but some of these guys, county executives or mayors, decided to list their family members and friends at the top of vaccination. One of them even gave vaccines to the stuff of the coffee shop he used to frequent.

It all got right when  the president stepped in and nominated an admiral of the portuguese navy to head the campaign. He organized/created vaccination centers at every county and managed to vaccinate thousands every day. He started with a strong public information campaign and did pointing a finger on those failing the program regulations. His manners gave confidence on vaccine’s safety and benefits. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/portugal-covid-vaccination-success/

Surely not all went well and many rejected or striked against vaccination. Though vaccination is not mandatory in Portugal, the NHS obliged the use of vaccine certificates and/or PCR tests at social events, public transportation and at restaurants which led many to consider to be vaccinated. 

Vaccines are free here to everyone (nationals and registered foreigners) but the task force had to vaccinate only 10 million, about 3% of US population. 

VG 

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    edited November 2021 #68
    Options

Thanks for your reply.  The national coordinated approach was critical in accomplishing the desired goal in Portugal. I believe that the USA would benefit from a national coordinated approach. 

• Grinder
    Options

It's been a while since I commented here.

Tomorrow I have a meeting with the Physicians Research Group to determine my status. There has been little fanfare of late regarding monoclonal antibody treatments, especially since the FDA pulled Regeneron and Eli Lilly monoclonal antibodies off the market. Their reasoning? Supplies are too scarce.

In case you have not been skeptical of this whole pandemic response, that should do it. Hydroxychloquine and Ivermectin were prohibited as early treatments to allow Emergency Use Authorization for the mRNA vaccine and Remdesivir. They remain outside the recommendation of the medical establishment and anyone who traffics in them can be subject to penalties.

But now, an very effective treatment has been pulled that does not fall under the EUA prohibition. This is for me the smoking gun that something is going on that just IS NOT RIGHT. My son-in-law's grandparents lives were saved by monoclonal antibody treatment, and he and my daughter are absolutely incensed that this happened. And they are both fully vaccinated, but now have scorn for the CDC and FDA as well.

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out the motives behind vaccine mandates and discouragement of all other successful treatments.

• Grinder
    edited February 2022 #70
    Options

Anyway, that is why I am wondering why the monoclonal antibody preventative treatment is not being talked up anymore.

I should also mention, when monoclonal antibody treatments were pulled, many scheduled treatments were abruptly cancelled that could have saved lives.

So put your Sherlock hat on, and figure out why this is happening.

• Rob.Ski
    Rob.Ski Member Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I heard on the news it was that the monoclonal anti-bodies weren't nearly as affective against Omicron variant which seems to be dominant now and why FDA pulled authorization.

FDA halts use of monoclonal antibodies that don't work against Omicron — and Florida pushes back - CBS News

• Grinder
    edited February 2022 #72
    Options

Well let's think about that. All the scheduled monoclonal antibody treatments in Florida were cancelled. Why? Because the mab treatment is "not as effective" against Omicron as it was against the Delta variant? So you cancel ALL scheduled MAb treatments and pull it from the market?

But the Omicron variant is much more mild and survivable than the Delta variant. Of course it's not as "effective" against the Omicron variant because there is no need for treating its mild symptoms. But then to cancel ALL Mab treatments with that rational?

Just my opinion, but something smells worse than dead bats at a Wuhan market.

And why is the FDA pulling a proven treatment with no serious adverse effects? This is wrong, regardless of motive.

Pulling this treatment will only result in more and longer hospital stays. The Omicron variant is more "mild" yet our hospitals are packed with Covid patients, but their doctors cannot prescribe Regeron or Lilly successful treatments. Hmmmm.

• Grinder
    Options

https://www.fox13news.com/news/thousands-of-appointments-canceled-in-florida-after-fda-halts-use-of-covid-19-antibody-drugs

• Rob.Ski
    Rob.Ski Member Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Not saying I agree with it just, pointing to their explanation...

• Grinder
    edited February 2022 #75
    Options

I get that... But neither effectiveness nor scarcity is hardly motive for pulling Mab treatments. Even the claim of "less effectiveness" is hardly justification.

I am afraid this has become a political pandemic more than a medical pandemic. And the FDA and CDC are federal agencies in the Biden administration... not independent researchers.

Canada is an excellent example of a pandemic turned political.

Imagine if you were not allowed to decide which prostate cancer treatment you wanted. Imagine if all prostatectomy operations were halted and you were told by your doctor that only radiation treatments were available. Or the other way around, you HAD to have your prostate removed because all radiation treatments were being prohibited because it's "not as effective".

Or worse imagine both were being prohibited in favor of pharmaceutical treatments like hormone therapy. This should be a decision between you and your doctor, not a federal agency 

Well, that is what's happening in the United States with the Covid pandemic.

• J69
    J69 Member Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Agreed, the treatment I get for prostate cancer should be a choice between myself and my doctor. The difference is my prostate cancer doesn’t kill anyone but me. A little history. If you live in the USA and you were going to school in the fifties and sixties, you were vaccinated for, Smallpox, measles, Mumps Rubella and Polio. No one complained because we knew these could be deadly diseases. When we entered the military we stood in line and got many inoculations for diseases you hadn’t even heard of. You are correct that vaccinations have become political, but that started before Biden. You are also correct that Omicron, the variant is milder, but it is still killing more than 1000 people a day, mostly the unvaccinated. As far as freedom, no one has the right to put others in danger of getting sick, or dying. The flu kills thousands of people a year. What it doesn’t do is kill close to a million people in two years. This virus will continue to mutate like the flu until a majority of people get vaccinated. It will then only kill thousands not millions of people a year like the flu. Those who die will be some of the unvaccinated, those with existing co-morbidities, the immune suppressed and the elderly. By the way, prostate and any cancer is a co-morbidity. Fighting off an early death from a very bad virus is not much different than fighting Prostate Cancer. Listen to the scientists, your doctors and not some news stations. Make informed choices based on current information and statistics. Right now, as far as Covid is concerned, the information from the vast majority of doctors and scientists say that vaccines and boosters are the best chance in winning the fight. The current statistic is that more than a thousand people a day are still dying from Covid. The old saying “To each their own” is true only to the extent that it doesn’t hurt me and my family. My best to all and thanks to all for helping myself and each other fight this terrible disease of Prostate Cancer

• J69
    edited February 2022 #77
    Options

• Grinder
    Options

The mRNA vaccine is not a vaccine in the classic sense. But we have been through this in earlier posts. It also does NOT stop transmission of the virus. So how does everyone getting vaccinated prevent deaths? Vulnerable people can catch it from you whether you are vaccinated or not. So it should be UP TO THEM whether they should get vaccinated or not. It should be that way for ALL OF US.

It does not matter to anyone else whether I am vaccinated or not. They can catch Covid from me whether I am vaccinated or not.

So yes, it is similar to withholding treatments for prostate cancer in that it should not be up to a federal agency whether you have access to Covid treatments.

If anyone cannot see the logical disconnect in this policy of mandatory vaccination with a vaccine that does not prevent transmission, then there is nothing I can say to convince otherwise.

• Grinder
    edited February 2022 #79
    Options

Btw...

Today I tested positive for Covid. Who did I catch it from? My fully vaccinated wife tested positive five days ago. I was supposed to attend my 366 day appointment with the Physicians Research Group. Now it looks like I will be subjected to an entirely different protocol.

Admittedly I had a terrible night last night when it first hit, but a half dose of Tylenol and some Melatonin I was able to sleep. Today I feel nearly normal. My wife had similar symptoms earlier in the week but she was having respiratory symptoms which I do not... so far.

This may be premature, and I cannot say for sure, but SO FAR, assuming I am part of the experimental group, the preventative monoclonal antibody treatment is more effective in reducing symptoms than the vaccine. Although, it also could be a difference in the strength of our immune systems.

I fear the MAb preventative treatment will be downplayed or even prohibited in favor of the vaccine when it could be more effective... just like the Regeneron and Lilly therapeutic treatments. This is just wrong.

• J69
    Options

Sorry to hear you and your wife got Covid. Hopefully you and your wife get through it fast and have mild cases. You are correct that some can’t be convinced once minds are set. That goes both ways. Are far as vaccinations are concerned, I am a believer and the first to get in line when they are approved. I also have asthma and the two times over the many years I didn’t get a flu shot, I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia. I am all for any treatment that reduces side effects to fight these vicious diseases that come along frequently. Hopefully your treatment will succeed and be another great discovery for other diseases as well. Now, if it wasn’t for the government and the grants they give these scientists to experiment on research, we would all be in much worse shape. For future reference, my older brother was a microbiologist working for NASA in the early years. His job was to keep the astronauts healthy and free of viruses before they went into space. They had to be vaccinated. They also had to wear masks before each flight if someone was sick.When Covid hit, he told me to not get into situations where my wife and I could get a large viral load. He said the more virus you get the worse the outcome. You are correct about each person’s immune system being different. He said people with weaker Immune systems can even get really sick with little viral loads. My wife and I taught school for over thirty years. We have been exposed to almost every virus imaginable. We both have had no serious complications from Covid. However almost at the same time she got breast cancer and I got the big PC. I really do hope you and your wife get through this new bout of Covid quickly and move on to happier times. My best to you.

• J69
    edited February 2022 #81
    Options

This discussion has been closed.