Side Effects

SuzJ
SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member

There are some little known, not so rare side effects that they don't tell you about.

First is fairly well known - Thyroid, you have just deep fried your thyroid, its NOT happy, the Thyroid numbers going up, are not good. 

Second - Baroreceptor - Didn't know you had that did you? We all have Baroreceptors, on our carotids, they regulate blood pressure, and tell your body when to push more blood to your head and upper extremities. Without that, we struggle a little. It is know as Baroreceptor Dysfunction, I reach over my head (coathanger syndrome) and my blood disappears, I fall down, go boom. This is where the lil pills come in, I have to take one called Midodrine, it pushes your blood pressure up out of the gutter, to a decent level.

Your Baroreceptors take a beating during treatment, some do ok, rarely - or they are finding - not so rarely, they become irreparably damaged. If you feel faint, and your pulse feels weak and thready/fast, drink a glass of ice cold water, it will raise your BP by about 10 mmhg, and you should even out

Fast heartbeat - weakness - No, you are probably not having a heart attack, and if you'll slow down, take a tablet of magnesium, and / or potassium, (OTC) with a nice glass of water, you'll feel a LOT better, of course, should your heart still hurt after that, talk to a Dr! (This was suggested by my Dr)

Comments

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    edited November 2020 #2
    Interesting

I was disappointed in my Thyroid test supposedly only a showing minor issue so I was prescribed the lowest does. I got 68 Gys to base of throat, and feel temp. swings of both hot and cold that's noteworthy. Finally said to heck with it and took myself off Levothyroxin. Not sure what else my Thyroid damage is doing to me, but I sure do not have much energy and do sleep around 9-10 hours/day.

Thank you, SuzJ for the Baroreceptor info. For quite some time I have noticed extreme light headedness when rising from kneeling to the point I do so slowly and try to have hold of something to steady me. And I do get headaches daily. Of note- years after tx my blood pressure was cool, but over the last 2 years both numbers have dropped 20-30. The first test when I was 99-54 was a shock to me. Weighing only 125 lbs. and no history of circulatory issues, this could be the cause.

Great post.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited November 2020 #3
    Thanks For The Interesting Info

Suzj I never heard of the Baroreceptor before and your other info is new also. I don't have any of those troubles yet just a lot of other stuff leftover but this is good info to remember or print out-Take care-God Bless-Russ

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    edited November 2020 #4
    Suzj...

Suzj...

Good to hear from you again.  Hopefully things are going at least okay.  Good to know about the Baroreceptor thingy.  

• Mattsjc2020
    Mattsjc2020 Member Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2020 #5
    Thanks for the info

Thanks Suzj. You're right, no one has mentioned these side effects. It's good information to know.

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 317 Member
    edited November 2020 #6
    I knew about the fried thyroid...

But I don't recall hearing about damage to baroreceptors.  My RO did tell me that he would be unable to avoid radiating the carotid artery, but he sad that it is one tough artery.  Regardless, everything is okay so far.  I'll be going for my 2 1/2 year follow-up next week, so I'll ask about it.

• Darkdancer333
    Darkdancer333 Member Posts: 115 Member
    edited November 2020 #7
    Side effect is brain cramping

I move my head too fast or yawn i get these cramps like you get in your leg. Doctor said this can be a normal side effect. Radiation treatment was in the throat so I'm a bit confused

how top or back of the cranium can be affected

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member

Side effect is brain cramping

I move my head too fast or yawn i get these cramps like you get in your leg. Doctor said this can be a normal side effect. Radiation treatment was in the throat so I'm a bit confused

how top or back of the cranium can be affected

SuzJ / Dark,

SuzJ,

I'm sorry to hear about your side effects. I hope they go away in time. Thanks for the advice you gave!

mg

Dark,

I've started noticing occasional neck cramps - like it seizes up. It usually goes away fairly quickly - but it's odd.

If I tie on a mask for example, it will often cramp up.

I hope your cramping goes away, soon!

mg

• Darkdancer333
    Darkdancer333 Member Posts: 115 Member
    edited November 2020 #9

SuzJ / Dark,

SuzJ,

I'm sorry to hear about your side effects. I hope they go away in time. Thanks for the advice you gave!

mg

Dark,

I've started noticing occasional neck cramps - like it seizes up. It usually goes away fairly quickly - but it's odd.

If I tie on a mask for example, it will often cramp up.

I hope your cramping goes away, soon!

mg

vitamin

My primary care has me taking magnesium this has helped quite a bit with all cramps

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    Suz / Dark,

Suz, I hope your side effects have subsided, and that you are having a nice holiday season!

Dark, I take Cal/Mag/Zinc, now - and I'll see if that helps me a little - thanks!

Here's hoping both of you are having a wonderful time, with family!...

mg

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    I find I can tell when my

I find I can tell when my magnesium/potassium is low, I get shaky, clammy, cold, weak.. 1 of each, plus tea, im ok