Hello

Pamcakes
Pamcakes Member Posts: 112 Member

I am usually on the colon cancer board since my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 CRC 3.5 years ago at 37. Sadly my dear sweet friend was diagnosed with anal cancer a few weeks ago. We live in an area where the health care is not great. So we learned right away to get a second opinion. I was happy when she decided to get a second opinion at a major cancer center. She will be having her port placed in the morning and will start her first 5 days of Chemo the following week. any suggestons for me or tips. I know how to care for my husband, but I want to ensure I am helping and not in the way. Any helpful items I could get her for a gift basket? Thank you for your help!

Comments

• Ms Elizabeth Bailey
    Ms Elizabeth Bailey Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2020 #2
    First, I pray your husband is

First, I pray your husband is doing well. It's hard to go through a diagnosis, but I have found, while going through it, that it may even be harder on those who love us. Second- what an amazing friend you are!! Not only to support your friend, but asking those "in the know" how best you can support her. FANTASTIC! I'm super glad she went to another hospital for a second opinion. Not many oncologists see anal cancer. I pray she is doing well. I can say, from my own experience (everyone is defferent), just being there is amazing. There really isn't much you can do. However, if she is married and has children she may need help in that area. I got super exhausted and nauseous. The people at the hospital encouraged my hubs and son to eat out so the smell didn't make it worse for me. We had friends who gave gift cards for meals, etc. Friends were bringing meals, but the smell was just too much for me- even in our bedroom. Also, pepermint oil in my mask helped loads to cut the smells around me. Depending on the age of kiddos, maybe offering to help with school, etc. Taking back and forth to treatment is a super big help. Having to go every day for radiation gets hard on the family. Other than that, I can't think of anything. I have tips for patients, but I can't really think of what friends can do- other than praying and just being available. Again, you are a wonderful friend for reaching out and asking!!! Blessings!