Radiation treatment

Options

How long did everyone have to take radiation treatment? How did it effect you. Newl diognosed with grade 3 stage 2 breast cancer. I go next week to have a lumpectom. very unsu of the different types of radiation treatment????

Comments

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Hi Fliterpatted

I had six weeks of daily radiation. It didn't hurt. I did have slight burning of my skin. The place where I went provided some really good cream to use and it helped a lot. I had some fatigue from the treatments but was able to work during that time. I am sending healing prayers your way.

• catlady2
    catlady2 Member Posts: 50 Member
    edited September 2020 #3
    Options
    My lumpectomy was very

My lumpectomy was very uneventful compared to my reaction to radiation. I did have some fatigue and had to reduce my walking to 1 mile a day.   I had a severe reaction to the calendual cream they suggested for my skin during radiation treatment.  I had blistering and severe itching along with overall redness.   Having never gone through radiation before I had no idea it was a reaction to the cream and thought it was just a reaction to radiation since my skin is sensitive. Turns out the more calendula cream I used the worse it got!  If you start geting a bad rash ask them for another cream/lotion suggestion.  The rash covered my entire chest from my neck to my belly button and I had to take a course of steroids in order to clear it up. If I ever need radiation again I would defiitely try something else.  Aloe Vera maybe?

• Fliterpatted
    Fliterpatted Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2020 #4
    Options

Hi Fliterpatted

I had six weeks of daily radiation. It didn't hurt. I did have slight burning of my skin. The place where I went provided some really good cream to use and it helped a lot. I had some fatigue from the treatments but was able to work during that time. I am sending healing prayers your way.

Thank you. 

Thank you. 

• Fliterpatted
    Fliterpatted Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2020 #5
    Options
    catlady2 said:

My lumpectomy was very

My lumpectomy was very uneventful compared to my reaction to radiation. I did have some fatigue and had to reduce my walking to 1 mile a day.   I had a severe reaction to the calendual cream they suggested for my skin during radiation treatment.  I had blistering and severe itching along with overall redness.   Having never gone through radiation before I had no idea it was a reaction to the cream and thought it was just a reaction to radiation since my skin is sensitive. Turns out the more calendula cream I used the worse it got!  If you start geting a bad rash ask them for another cream/lotion suggestion.  The rash covered my entire chest from my neck to my belly button and I had to take a course of steroids in order to clear it up. If I ever need radiation again I would defiitely try something else.  Aloe Vera maybe?

Thank you for replyin. 

Thank you for replyin. 

• JayC10
    JayC10 Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2021 #6
    Options
    Radiatio

Hi Flitter,   I finished 25 radiation tx Nov 6th 2020.  Stage 3 ductal L breast with lymphnode mets.   The tx center gives Aquaphor.  It's a vasoline based product that makes a mess.  I'm a RN x37 yrs.  Another nurse told me her facility gave them Jeans cream.  I purchased the 2 pack and still have some left over.  It is wonderful.  Not greasy or stinky.  You will use it as many times throughout the day as you need to.  It's wonderfully cooling and soothing.  Nothing lasts very long.  I had to be in an 'alternate' position which resulted in worse burns and left lung pneumonitis for which I am still on steroids.  Best of luck to you !! 

• kerri15
    kerri15 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2021 #7
    Options
    Radiation

I'm going to be starting radiation treatment soon, 3 - 4 weeks. During the fitting appt they wanted to put a tube in my mouth and cover my nose to force me to hold my breath for 30 seconds. I had a minor panic attack. They backed off and said they could get around it. Did you have that?

• ljsunflower
    ljsunflower Member Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2021 #8
    Options
    kerri15 said:

Radiation

I'm going to be starting radiation treatment soon, 3 - 4 weeks. During the fitting appt they wanted to put a tube in my mouth and cover my nose to force me to hold my breath for 30 seconds. I had a minor panic attack. They backed off and said they could get around it. Did you have that?

No, I wasn't told to hold my breath at all.

I just went through 20 radiation treatments and was never told to hold my breath. I lay as still as possible and was breathing normally.

My TNBC was in the left breast.

I would have had a major problem with a tube and covering my nose also.