two year anniversary

Options

Just had my 2 year anniversay since finishing treatment for stage 1 ( old staging system was stage 4A ) tonsil cancer with 4 nodes involved, HPV positive. Had 35 rads and 3 treatments of high dose Cisplatin. 70 greys to right side where all the cancer was located and 54 greys to the left side as a precautionary measure. Made it thru treatment in pretty good shape compared to some folks. Currently, I have regained the majority of my taste and saliva back - thank God. Most all of the side effects from treatment are gone. My Thyroid did give out so I'm on medication for that. I did have ringing in my ears for the first year and then the ringing disappeared. In the last couple of months I now have a clicking like sound in my right ear. Almost sounds like a cricket in the distance. Ent and Onocologist are keeping an eye on it. Most likely from the Cisplatin. Other than that all is going well. Go to dentist every 3 months and all looks good. Still do nightly 1% flouride treatments even though all my saliva is back. God bless everyone on this site. Take care.

Rick

Comments

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited September 2020 #2
    Options
    Outstanding

Rick,

Thank you for taking the time to give us an update on how you are doing. It is always good to hear from those that have traveled this road. Looking at your screen name, I hope that you are hitting them straight and far. 

My Best to You and Everyone Here

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 176 Member
    edited September 2020 #3
    Options
    MarineE5 said:

Outstanding

Rick,

Thank you for taking the time to give us an update on how you are doing. It is always good to hear from those that have traveled this road. Looking at your screen name, I hope that you are hitting them straight and far. 

My Best to You and Everyone Here

2 year mark!

Congratulations on the 2yr. mark Rick smith sounds like your doing well. Good luck in the future.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited September 2020 #4
    Options
    Congrats, Hurray

So glad you got the word NED today for a 2 year anniversary. Glad everything is going well for you except for a couple of odds and ends you can easily live with-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    edited September 2020 #5
    Options
    Congrats

That's a lot of greys to your right side, Rick, so would advise having your ENT check-out that side for scar tissue growth down the road. I had 68 to bottom half, and am paying for it. That said- CONGRATULATIONS, and remember (sorry Marine): drive for show/putt for dough$!

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS! Just hit 3-years

CONGRATS! Just hit 3-years myself. I think I'm in basically the same condition as you. My taste came back within a couple of weeks and salvia is mostly returned (slight dry mouth in the back of my throat when I wake up or talk alot).

As for my thyroid. I too was told mine was shot from radiation. My first doc prescribed me meds for it. I asked if it could repair itself, and she told me "it can, but we won't know if you're on the meds because it will fill in for your thyroid."

So, I didn't take the meds. Two years post treatment and my thyroid did repair itself and is pretty much back to normal. 

Good luck!

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    edited October 2020 #7
    Options
    Congratulations!

I realize you hit this milestone a month ago - but it's great news. I hope things continue to improve for you!

MG

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 317 Member
    edited October 2020 #8
    Options
    Late to the party, but...

Congratulations!  May your milestones continue long into the future!