Tooth Care Reminder

Logan51
Logan51 Member Posts: 467 Member

An 11 year and 4 month Nasopharyngeal Survivor, unknown Primary, the costliest post-tx expense has shown up in my Dentist's bank account. Over $12-K out of pocket in the first 8 years, which included 2 root canals and 3 Crowns, the tops of 12 teeth rebuilt (front ones more than once). Anyway, tonight I had nothing in my mouth and was on my PC when I felt something solid in my mouth= the entire top of a tooth! Only .042" thick, but 1/4" long and 1/8" wide. Upper-left near the front.

So, the reminder is for those who are to get Rads- ask for Tooth Guards. Your teeth don't have C, so why in the heck do they have to be the recipient of so much damage? Makes no sense, Dr. My Rad Dr. also did not know that one should be on Flouride Trays before and during tx, and after- I made a trip to the U of Iowa and found that out, then told her. 

Being FT-dependent for the rest of my life...I do use my teeth the break-up ice cubes, which are all I can put in my mouth to carefully swallow. However, so much money spent for as it turns out: the ice cubes and my ugly smile. Anybody have a bridge they want to sell me?...

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    Dave Thanks For

Your reminder and info. You have certainly had your share of dental issues. With us head & neck folks, this is part of it. For my treatments, I never had the tooth guards or the fluoride trays but read about others having them on here. It was never mentioned to me and I assume the facility I get my rads this is not a common practice. Your reminder is good to refresh people that we have to be meticulous about our dental care now that we had treatment. Take Care-God Bless

• FOMC
    FOMC Member Posts: 25 Member
    Teeth Issues

Dave K, your story is EXACTLY why I've not bothered to sink a bunch of money into my teeth at this point.  2yrs and 7 months out and the Dentist is wanting to replace a bridge that I currently have but is failing.  That's fine except it's gonna cost nearly 5k and it's strictly cosmetic!!!  No thanks.. I've been ugly as a mud fence for so long and new shiny teeth isn't gonna help that.

So, sorry, I'm gonna keep the one I have and it's not for sale but good look with your search. Ha

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 467 Member
    edited August 2020 #4
    FOMC

Had a good solution to the tooth loss. My Dentist who has taken care of me since before C-positive didn't have any openings. Another man Dentist saw me. I had suggested when I made the appointment that he talks to my Dentist. He didn't! So, he had no big ideas, like an X-ray looking for root damage. Instead, he just slapped a filling in! Only cost $191. Was pleasantly surprised.

I do have a bridge, but no problems with it. I have had 3 teeth pulled over the years without anything to replace- and that was the route I was figuring I would take. And you are right about how we have to put our teeth decisions into the big picture as far as whether or not a whole lot of money for a tooth is worth it.

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 728 Member
    Teeth

Great bunch of information for those facing rads in the future.  Wish I had known back then.  So far I have 2 bridges.  Not because of decay from rads but rather from having gum disease 30 years ago.  I did what they told me to do and floss everyday.  My gums healed and pulled up tight so too much tooth is showing.  A normal tooth is roughly 1/3 in the gumline with the tooth showing the other 2/3's.  Mine are 50-50 and get loose.  Just finished paying off my last bridge and noticed 2 upper and one lower are loose.  This one will cost a small fortune.  

It's not about appearance with me.  It's about being able to chew food.  I'll wait until 2021 to find out how much and figure out how to pay for it.  Man's got to eat.

• Mattie65
    Mattie65 Member Posts: 82 Member
    edited December 2020 #6
    Oh, dear. Glad I read this

Oh, dear. Glad I read this comment today.

3 weeks into rads and I hadn't realized that these trays weren't just for protection during the actual radiation sessions, and the special toothpaste to be used once or twice a week aside from my usual one, but that I should apply fluoride using those trays twice a day. I hope it's still time.

It doesn't look like there's any damage at this point, but I suppose I'm not the most competent person to tell.