Financial and Emotional Support

Options
wallis2
wallis2 Member Posts: 56 Member

Hi,

I had bilateral mastectomy followed by 26 rounds of radiation almost 2 years ago.  My treatment was an hour away and somehow I got off from work and drove an hour away and back to work.  I contacted an agency for someone to drive me there because my finances was not to good.  They couldn't find anyone to take me.  Let me start by saying, I am a bus driver and I don't know how I managed, God Almighty gave me the strength and til this day.  I was working during my radiation treatments, however, the last dosage blew me away.  I had to take at least a month off from work. The toughest thing about being diagnosed with breast cancer is being out of working, trying to pay bills, missing days.  My health insurance is horrible and every time I go to the doctor, I have to pay a $96 co-pay.  I paid over $300 dollars within 2 months.  My bones, ribs, arms, legs, and fingers ache hurt so bad from taking Arimidex.  I feel like driving the bus makes it even harder for me and don't think I can continue.  School just started and I told my employer my immune system is low and I don't feel comfortable being around a lot of people with this pandemic going around, but somehow they keep calling and demanding I start work. My doctor wrote a note and they just totally ignored that.  If I quit, I can't pay my bills.  I do have sick leave, but it doesn't last long. Yes, I can work, but not driving a bus.  I have been putting in other applications, but no success.  I did contact some agencies for financial help, but the waiting period was too long and some of them wasn't taking any more applications. I have a mortgage, car payment, and horrible insurance.  I can barely pay my previous hospital bills.  They keep calling and some of them went into collection.  I know it has to be some some help for cancer patients financially.  I am so stress out and don't know where to turn. Is there anyone I can contact for financial help?  Is there such thing as getting on disability?  Can someone please give me some numbers to call or contact information?

Comments

• Primavera
    Primavera Member Posts: 231 Member
    edited September 2020 #2
    Options
    Hi

These boards are a bit slow to answer. I don't have an answer for you. I just got diagnosed with breast cancer and I don't even know my stage yet. I will have chemo before surgery. I just wanted to send a big hug your way. It's not good to have to stress about finances while going through this nightmare. I come from the uterine cancer board. Maybe you can post there instead. Those women might have some info for you.

• wallis2
    wallis2 Member Posts: 56 Member
    edited September 2020 #3
    Options
    Primavera said:

Hi

These boards are a bit slow to answer. I don't have an answer for you. I just got diagnosed with breast cancer and I don't even know my stage yet. I will have chemo before surgery. I just wanted to send a big hug your way. It's not good to have to stress about finances while going through this nightmare. I come from the uterine cancer board. Maybe you can post there instead. Those women might have some info for you.

Thanks, I have already had

Thanks, I have already had bills going into collection such as doctor bills and credit cards and I don't even care. I can work only 3 hours a day because of my aching bones and that isn't paying my bills.  My bones ache and I can't sleep at night.  I did find some agencies, but some only help the ones recently diagnosed and I missed the punch.   I am not going to stress anymore because it's wearing me down and I don't need this.   I need to take better care of myself than to worry about bills.  Thanks for responding and you take care.