elevated psa

todd64
todd64 Member Posts: 2

I maybe premature on joining this site. I have had psa checks for the last nine years. The psa has steadily gone up and I have had two biopsies with no signs of cancer and the dre is negative for lumps. The first biopsy was 12 cores and the second was 18 core all negative. The last mri showed a lesion and the pirad scale was a three. My psa now is at 12 which is up since July 2019 from 8.4 and I am scheduled for another mri on the 17th and the follow up on the 21st. I have no symptoms and have never had any infections or enlarged prostrate issues. Has anybody had this expierance and been diagnosed with prostrate cancer. Prostrate cancer does not run in either side of my family. Thanks for any input good or bad. Not sure how to prepare myself.

Comments

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,641 Member
    Enjoy life and be vigilant

Yes, there have been similar cases to those of yours. Negative biopsy but positive MRI and a significant PSA level. You cannot rule your case as positive to cancer as much as rule it out. You just have to continue testing and be vigilant on the issue. Certain types of cancer (Gleason patterns 1, 2 and 3) can grow without forming a solid tumor that reach identifiable sizes in image studies (1cm in CT; 0.7 cm in MRI). These form sort of microscopic colonies that also easily escape being caught by a needle in the biopsy.

Treating without a due diagnosis is like throwing arrows in the dark. Enjoy life and be vigilant.

Best,

VG 

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,812 Member
    edited August 2020 #3

Enjoy life and be vigilant

Yes, there have been similar cases to those of yours. Negative biopsy but positive MRI and a significant PSA level. You cannot rule your case as positive to cancer as much as rule it out. You just have to continue testing and be vigilant on the issue. Certain types of cancer (Gleason patterns 1, 2 and 3) can grow without forming a solid tumor that reach identifiable sizes in image studies (1cm in CT; 0.7 cm in MRI). These form sort of microscopic colonies that also easily escape being caught by a needle in the biopsy.

Treating without a due diagnosis is like throwing arrows in the dark. Enjoy life and be vigilant.

Best,

VG 

PSA

Todd, Vasco is right (a universal thing).  The most you can do is demand regular PSA checks and biopsy when warranted.   My brother has been in a similiar situation:  PSA 11, digital exam negative.  His urologist did an MRI guided biopsy, entirely negative.  The doctor said he was shocked, and was certain it would come back with PCa.   Remain vigilant, but not obsessive.   

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 999 Member
    More testing needed

Hi Todd,

Agree with the two men above, just need to keep up with the MRI's and biopsies hopefully nothing will show up.  Enjoy life in the mean time and don't let this worry you to death.

Dave 3+4

• todd64
    todd64 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2020 #5
    Psa

Thanks for inputs! It eases my mind and I appreciate it!