Nearly a year post tx

Options

On August 23, 2019 I had my last radiation treatment for hpv+ scc in the left tonsil with 1 lymph node on the same side involved. I chose to forego chemotherapy and only do 33 radiation treatments. It was a tough road but it's in the rear view and all and all I'm doing well. Just wanted to check in and wish everyone well being. 

God bless,

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited July 2020 #2
    Options
    A Hearty Congratulations

And continued well wishes to you. I am very glad you are doing so well. Glad the choice of skipping chemo worked out for you. And it's good you are moving forward with a good attitude. I agree it's a tough road I always say it was the toughest thing I ever went through in my life. One question have you had any follow-up CT scans or PET Scans? Just wondering if your team verified you are free of cancer now. Enjoy life as we have been given a blessing for sure and glad for you that as you say it is in the rearview mirror now and thanks for checking in-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 317 Member
    edited July 2020 #3
    Options
    Congrats!

One down and many more to go!

• Soonerman
    Soonerman Member Posts: 8
    Options
    wbcgaruss said:

A Hearty Congratulations

And continued well wishes to you. I am very glad you are doing so well. Glad the choice of skipping chemo worked out for you. And it's good you are moving forward with a good attitude. I agree it's a tough road I always say it was the toughest thing I ever went through in my life. One question have you had any follow-up CT scans or PET Scans? Just wondering if your team verified you are free of cancer now. Enjoy life as we have been given a blessing for sure and glad for you that as you say it is in the rearview mirror now and thanks for checking in-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

My oncologist ordreed a PET 6

My oncologist ordreed a PET 6 months post tx but my insurance (BCBS) denied it because of my early stage cancer. They did approve a CT though and it came back NED. I currently see my ENT every 6 weeks and he visiually looks at me a runs a scope down my throat. Although, because of Covid, he has not scoped me the last 2 visits. 

I have many times questioned my decision to forego chemo but the last thing my radiation oncologist told me was that it was a smart decision. With so many clinical studies on how well HPV+ cancer responds to treatment and given how chemo itself is so harsh, I decided against it.  At the time, my medical team supported my decision. 

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    1 year!

Thats great soonerman. The no chemo for me was also driven by the HPV+ and the path report. Wishing you many more NED! Good luck

• Soonerman
    edited July 2020 #6
    Options
    big G said:

1 year!

Thats great soonerman. The no chemo for me was also driven by the HPV+ and the path report. Wishing you many more NED! Good luck

Thanks. I'm curious as to

Thanks. I'm curious as to what part of

the pathology led to no chemo in the treatment decision. 

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 176 Member
    edited July 2020 #7
    Options
    Soonerman said:

Thanks. I'm curious as to

Thanks. I'm curious as to what part of

the pathology led to no chemo in the treatment decision. 

I was told there was a 50-50 chance of chemo depending on whether the cancer cells were contained inside the nodes or (Extracapsular extension), meaning the cells were outside the nodes. I let my medical team make the decision which was to forgo the chemo because of HPV+ & no extension. You can read my CSN space if you would like more details about my Journey. 

• Soonerman
    edited July 2020 #8
    Options
    big G said:

I was told there was a 50-50 chance of chemo depending on whether the cancer cells were contained inside the nodes or (Extracapsular extension), meaning the cells were outside the nodes. I let my medical team make the decision which was to forgo the chemo because of HPV+ & no extension. You can read my CSN space if you would like more details about my Journey. 

My cancer was also contained

My cancer was also contained in the node. I was a T1N1M0. My medical team was recommending chemo with the radiation but after my own extensive research I made the decision not to take the chemo.  I need to add that my medical team was very supportive of my decision and didn't try to talk me in to anything.  I'm thinking the chemo and radiation is their standard protocol for H&N cancer. At the time of the decision I felt comfortable with it but I second guessd it later on. 

God bless all,