Autologous stem cell and dropping WBC

So I had my Autologous Stem cell transplant after BEAM and I am still here. My WBC counts were very slowly improving and today the test showed they dropped from 2.9 to 1.7. 
I am 10 weeks out from the transplant. From 6 weeks to 8 weeks they were unchanged at 2.9 and I mentioned to my Doctor that I was bothered they had not come up anymore. The response was as long as they are not dropping we are not worried. Some people rebound slower than others. Well so now they dropped so what does that mean. Of course after the holiday weekend my Dr is off until Thursday so the nurse said she would let him know when he returns. I guess I was hoping someone had some input. Otherwise I will wait until Thursday concerned about what all this mean.

My platelets, hemoglobin seem to still be slowly coming up. Just the white blood cells and ANC that are dropping.

Stem cell transplant was 4/27/2020.

Comments

• illead
    illead Member Posts: 884 Member
    edited July 2020 #2
    Good to hear from you

Hi Sandy Ray,

It is so good to hear from you.  Congratulations on your successful SCT, I know you and your family are relieved it is over and you are doing well.  Bill's WBC and ANC are always low from the Rituxan and Revlimid, his WBC stays around what yours was before it dropped.  He gets regular neulasta shots, are you?  If not I would think that you should.  Otherwise I'm not much help for you but of course someone  will chime in soon.  Hope you find some answers.  Did you have the SCT at MDA? 

Just wanted to say hi and wish you well,

Becky

• Sandy Ray
    Sandy Ray Member Posts: 143 Member
    edited July 2020 #3
    illead said:

Good to hear from you

Hi Sandy Ray,

It is so good to hear from you.  Congratulations on your successful SCT, I know you and your family are relieved it is over and you are doing well.  Bill's WBC and ANC are always low from the Rituxan and Revlimid, his WBC stays around what yours was before it dropped.  He gets regular neulasta shots, are you?  If not I would think that you should.  Otherwise I'm not much help for you but of course someone  will chime in soon.  Hope you find some answers.  Did you have the SCT at MDA? 

Just wanted to say hi and wish you well,

Becky

MDA

Yes my transplant was at MD Anderson. Normally the Physician's assistant responds within an hour. Since she and the Dr are out I called the clinic and sent a message on the portal as well. I am guessing they will have me get a Neulasta shot but nurse said usual wait for ANC to be below 1. I am doing pretty welll so far. Was a little tougher than the 6 rounds of RCHOP to get my strength back. Glad to be home though. Glad you and Bill are doing well. I have an appointment 8/4 at MDA for routine scan. Hope the COVID does not interfere with the trip.

• illead
    illead Member Posts: 884 Member
    edited July 2020 #4
    Sandy Ray said:

MDA

Yes my transplant was at MD Anderson. Normally the Physician's assistant responds within an hour. Since she and the Dr are out I called the clinic and sent a message on the portal as well. I am guessing they will have me get a Neulasta shot but nurse said usual wait for ANC to be below 1. I am doing pretty welll so far. Was a little tougher than the 6 rounds of RCHOP to get my strength back. Glad to be home though. Glad you and Bill are doing well. I have an appointment 8/4 at MDA for routine scan. Hope the COVID does not interfere with the trip.

Neulasta

I just checked Bill's latest counts. His WBC is 2.7 and ANC 1.5.  When it reached .65 that is when his local onc put him on Neulasta once/mo.  I know the drop is alarming and it would be for us too, but the drs. don't seem to get too excited so I wouldn't worry too much until they get back to you.  The Covid thing is tough, for the first time in the 9 years we've been fighting this, I have been unable to be there for his infusions or other appts., he hates it and so do I. Be careful if you are able to make the trip, I trust MDA but not Houston. Please let us know what you find out. You are an encouragement to us.

Becky

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 902 Member
    edited July 2020 #5
    illead said:

Neulasta

I just checked Bill's latest counts. His WBC is 2.7 and ANC 1.5.  When it reached .65 that is when his local onc put him on Neulasta once/mo.  I know the drop is alarming and it would be for us too, but the drs. don't seem to get too excited so I wouldn't worry too much until they get back to you.  The Covid thing is tough, for the first time in the 9 years we've been fighting this, I have been unable to be there for his infusions or other appts., he hates it and so do I. Be careful if you are able to make the trip, I trust MDA but not Houston. Please let us know what you find out. You are an encouragement to us.

Becky

Since my last chemo 2 years

Since my last chemo 2 years ago my wbc has never been above 2.8. I am careful but in the last year I have had no infections, not even a cold. Prior to one year ago I had a persistent nagging sinus infection but that ended when I decided to quit Rituxan. Good luck Sandy. Hope you hit the woods deer hunting this fall!

• Sandy Ray
    Sandy Ray Member Posts: 143 Member
    edited July 2020 #6
    ShadyGuy said:

Since my last chemo 2 years

Since my last chemo 2 years ago my wbc has never been above 2.8. I am careful but in the last year I have had no infections, not even a cold. Prior to one year ago I had a persistent nagging sinus infection but that ended when I decided to quit Rituxan. Good luck Sandy. Hope you hit the woods deer hunting this fall!

WBC

Well that helps me know that my expectation of a normal WBC in 2-3 months may not have been realistic. I really thought it would go back to 4.5 and I would get my strength back and carry on. Yes I hope to have a chance to get in the woods this year. 
    Thanks for the information.

Sandy

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 902 Member
    Sandy Ray said:

WBC

Well that helps me know that my expectation of a normal WBC in 2-3 months may not have been realistic. I really thought it would go back to 4.5 and I would get my strength back and carry on. Yes I hope to have a chance to get in the woods this year. 
    Thanks for the information.

Sandy

you never really know

We are all a little different. I am good at 2.8 while someone else may not be. That said, I certainly am immune compromised at some level and the last thing I need is to get the virus du jour. No energy for the woods though but hopefully that will change.