Survivor 3 yr 3 mo

nancytc
nancytc Member Posts: 70 Member
edited July 2020 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hi all,

I do not post often, not sure if I am nervous to jinx my recovery. There was a time for sure that I checked in on the posts here daily. So....I survived a horrendous 3-6 mos of treatment and recovery. Was definitely hour to hour feeling and sometimes minute to minute. My advise would be if you are facing this, to get a dedicated support group together. For me it was life sparing for sure. 

I am currently in great shape. It took awhile, at least a year. If you didnt know that I was a stage 4 tonsil cancer survivor, you would not know. I can do anything. i have forever side effects. The worst currently are difficulty swallowing and dry mouth. I cover these with using Xylimelts at night and just eating slippery things during the day. Also more aware of staying hydrated.

If you are facing this treatment right now, you CAN DO IT. It is tough. For sure. But doable. And the reward of this horrible disease being halted is as you know, what we all want for our END GAME...NED.  God Bless all of you facing this. Much love....Nancy...

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited July 2020 #2
    Well Nancy

I am so happy for you and celebrate your victory and NED Anniversary with you. I agree with you on the treatment and recovery thing and that it can be hour to hour feeling and sometimes minute to minute. I went through similar recovery and I looked back on it afterward and realized it was the toughest thing I ever went through in my life. My radiation nurse at the time told me I might as well figure a year of my life till I get treatment and recover and that was right on. I am glad you recovered great and are doing well and feeling well. Thanks for your support and inspiring message to others. I know you are suffering dry mouth and are handling that but as far as difficulty swallowing you may want to check with your docs and ask them if throat dilations are an option in your case. They can enlarge your throat to help you swallow better. So take care, enjoy the gift of life and now that you are past three years I wish you many many more-Take care-God Bless

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    Nancy

Glad to hear of your 3+ years to the Positive, and your Positive comments. I be 11 years and 3 months out to the good, and can relate to your "forever side effects." Like Russ said, you might want to inquire about dilations. Also might want to get a summary report from your Rad Dr. on the amount applied and where for future reference. A quite serious side-effect hit me around 9 years out, and it was that report that told my ENT and I what caused it.

Keep that beautiful smile, and Positive attitude. Bless you.

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    edited July 2020 #4
    nancy,

You look great; and definitely like a solid survivor!

I'm glad that things are going well for you. I think my classification was 4A (Nasopharyngeal) - and so far so good!

We both seem to have been lucky, in that we got the support we needed.

I wish you the best of everything - going forward!

mg

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    edited July 2020 #5
    Nancy

Nancy

Glad to hear that your chugging along. I am ten years and four months out. I use to visit this site at least four to five times a week but faded away to two to four times a month. It's funny (not in reality just a figure of speech) how we grow use to our new normal, easily for some  and not so for others but thats what makes us indivduals. I can remember them telling me that whatever you haven't gained back a year out you most likely will not. Three years out I was still going through changes. Glad to see you have a great attitude as you push forward.

Jeff

• PipLily
    PipLily Member Posts: 127 Member
    edited July 2020 #6
    Congratulations!

Thank you for sharing your success! My husband just finished treatment June 3, and is so wonderful to read your success story! Many continued blessings to you!

• nancytc
    wbcgaruss said:

Well Nancy

I am so happy for you and celebrate your victory and NED Anniversary with you. I agree with you on the treatment and recovery thing and that it can be hour to hour feeling and sometimes minute to minute. I went through similar recovery and I looked back on it afterward and realized it was the toughest thing I ever went through in my life. My radiation nurse at the time told me I might as well figure a year of my life till I get treatment and recover and that was right on. I am glad you recovered great and are doing well and feeling well. Thanks for your support and inspiring message to others. I know you are suffering dry mouth and are handling that but as far as difficulty swallowing you may want to check with your docs and ask them if throat dilations are an option in your case. They can enlarge your throat to help you swallow better. So take care, enjoy the gift of life and now that you are past three years I wish you many many more-Take care-God Bless

Thank You for your sweet

Thank You for your sweet reply. We who have been down this road have are in a different mindset for sure. I am so happy to see you persevering on. I seem to vasillate between being in denial that it ever happened and wanting to participate to help others. It is a real struggle. I think I have some PTSD left over. I am so thankful to GOD for every moment, and do wish to share my story...and how I overcame each hurdle. I. know you can relate as there were SO MANY hurdles that came up during treatment that I was not prepared for even with the best medical team. My prayer to God is always that I can help others who are now confronting this terrible disease. God Bless - Nancy

• nancytc
    Logan51 said:

Nancy

Glad to hear of your 3+ years to the Positive, and your Positive comments. I be 11 years and 3 months out to the good, and can relate to your "forever side effects." Like Russ said, you might want to inquire about dilations. Also might want to get a summary report from your Rad Dr. on the amount applied and where for future reference. A quite serious side-effect hit me around 9 years out, and it was that report that told my ENT and I what caused it.

Keep that beautiful smile, and Positive attitude. Bless you.

Hi Dave! I have been to a

Hi Dave! I have been to a speech pathologist several times and my issue is not in the area of my throat that dialation would help. I was hopeful that a dialation could be helpful, but after a swallowing study the docs shot that possibiity down, At least at this time. My struggle is higher up in my throat. I had the base of my tongue ressected and four tonsils removed before cancer treatment began to discover the location of my primary cancer. This surgery exasberated the damage from treatment with additional scar tissue. But I am not a complainer, and just use alot of mayonaisse and ranch dressing whenever eating challenging things. I also do daily throat exercises per my speech pathologist. I so appreciate your warning about the radiation's long term side effects. This is a disease/treatment for sure that one can never become complacent about as the years go by. I am so happy to have friends here that care. God Bless....Nancy

• Drivingdaisy
    Drivingdaisy Member Posts: 263
    edited July 2020 #9
    nancytc said:

Hi Dave! I have been to a

Hi Dave! I have been to a speech pathologist several times and my issue is not in the area of my throat that dialation would help. I was hopeful that a dialation could be helpful, but after a swallowing study the docs shot that possibiity down, At least at this time. My struggle is higher up in my throat. I had the base of my tongue ressected and four tonsils removed before cancer treatment began to discover the location of my primary cancer. This surgery exasberated the damage from treatment with additional scar tissue. But I am not a complainer, and just use alot of mayonaisse and ranch dressing whenever eating challenging things. I also do daily throat exercises per my speech pathologist. I so appreciate your warning about the radiation's long term side effects. This is a disease/treatment for sure that one can never become complacent about as the years go by. I am so happy to have friends here that care. God Bless....Nancy

Hi Nancy

Congratulations on doing so well & so positive.  I am 4 yrs and first yr did well till I started to slew of horrible side effects.  I wish I could of had a better 3 yrs since but been extremely sick from being over treated for basically Stage 1 HPV 16+ with No tumor or lymph.  Been studied by many Drs with no help with side effects.  Permanent now.  Where were you treated.  I didn't know a thing I did it locally.  Should of gone to bigger Center.  I did complete opposite how most respond. Mayo in Fl basically told Me they would never have treated Me so aggressively.  2 Chemo drugs that did many internal problems & so much radiation nothing left in throat.  No salivary glands tho patch of skin was tiny on left side but was radiated high Gys on both sides from nose to collar bone.  It was located on left tonsil( had been removed as child) and the red patch had been there 3 yrs with no change or sickness from it.  Went in for allergies came out with over treated Cancer.  Yes, this Cancer offers the gifts that keep on giving.  Been having a rough time stay well thru this COVID-19 .  Can't cough , sneeze, don't run temps, constant stomach issues due to food intolerances made worst by 2 Chemo drugs but went thru treatments like a trooper doing far better than most.  Now an invalid.  Where you go & Drs so important.  Plus asking Me how I wanted to treat it or let Me get 2nd opinion was not in their game plan.  How ironic to not not die from a Cancer Virus to probably being taken down by another.  But so happy to hear a positive 3 yrs for you and you are living! M  Feel blessed and I'm happy for you.  And you look great!  Keep up the good work Warrior Woman.  Hugs, Lisa.  alive but not living just exist in misery.

• nancytc

nancy,

You look great; and definitely like a solid survivor!

I'm glad that things are going well for you. I think my classification was 4A (Nasopharyngeal) - and so far so good!

We both seem to have been lucky, in that we got the support we needed.

I wish you the best of everything - going forward!

mg

Hi MG!

Hi MG!

Oh my gosh, I feel so fortunate. And that is so great that you also came through treatment with a good quality of life after. It was certainly a rough go for me for the first year, but like you I refused to let it change my enthusiasm for living and enjoying each day. We are certainly blessed. Nancy

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 317 Member
    edited July 2020 #11
    Congrats on your milestone, Nancy!

It sounds like you faced many challenges, met them head on and are now living a full life.  Good for you!  Keep up the positive attitude and encouragement for others just entering this new and unwelcome phase of their lives.