Mucositis?

Options

Hello fellow survivors,

I'm now 3 1/2 years out from my last radiation/chemo treatments for tongue and neck cancer. I went through treatments twice in one year and it did a number on my neck. Mucositis was not really an issue up until about 6 months ago. Now I seem to have to clear my throat every 20 minutes. Anyone else get late term mucos issues?

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Hello Steven

When you say Mucositis I looked it up on the net and the definition is--Mucositis is a medical term that is used to refer to mouth sores, oral mucositis, or esophagitis. It can range in severity from a red, sore mouth and/or gums to open sores that can cause a patient to be unable to eat. Oral mucositis is probably the most common, debilitating complication of cancer treatments, particularly chemotherapy and radiation.

Steven do you have the sores in your mouth or irritation or just phlegm in your throat? I think Mucositis usually occurs during treatments and I think you are saying you have not had any recently. I am out of any treatments for a while but have to occasionally clear some thick mucous from my throat but I think this is due to reduced saliva from my radiation treatments. It will get thick in my throat and this usually happens overnight and in the morning. Once I am up and drinking something on a  regular basis like coffee or water I don't seem to have a problem with it because it keeps my saliva thinned down enough.