Finished!!!!

Options
PipLily
PipLily Member Posts: 127 Member

Just wanted to post and say thank you so very very much to everyone on this forum, and those who kindly took the time to respond personally to my posts about my husband!!! Means so much, and was, truly, what got me through the early days of his diagnosis. Was my sanity. And the information I gleaned here, helped me take the best care of him, for him. So thank you!!

My husband finished all treatment June 3!!! TORS with bilateral neck dissection for BOT small tumor and two positive nodes on left, one with ECE. Two doses of Cisplatin three weeks apart, and 6 weeks Rad to left side only. He is doing amazing!!!!! I’m so proud of him! Lost about 20# total with no feeding tube. Was pretty much able to eat throughout, although the lack of taste, restricted some of that, so smoothies were huge. He is eating a fairly normal diet now. Had cheeseburgers on the grill last night. Taste very minimal, although he said he could taste a bit of the burger last night! And could taste his lemonade!!! Mouth a bit dry, not horrible. I followed some recommendations on this sit for skincare during radiation, and so happy to say......no skin breakdown, and looking at his neck, other than that scar, you would never know anything was done! This was the first time this weekend, he said he has hope......for ”normalcy “ to return, and for him to enjoy life!! It’s been a long 6 months journey for him, and honestly, for me as the caregiver......an we wouldn’t have fared as well without the wisdom on this site. I hope to return the favor to someone at some point. ( just now posting after a while....took a mental break to decompress after June 3!!) Has a CT SCAN of Neck and chest mid July. Praying for good results, and obviously nervplus, but just trusting in the process that what we did , worked for him.

So again, from a very grateful wife, thank you all!!

Elizabeth

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Elizabeth Congratulations

To you and especially to your husband. Praise God for getting you folks through this. You have gotten through the treatments well and the fact he could get through it and be eating now is a great blessing. I am so glad the support from the folks on here was such a great help I know when I was going through my cancer situations it was a wonderful help and encouragement to me. Yes, it is time to just relax and take a breather and finish recovery. Praying for clear scans in July-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Outstanding

PipLily, 

Thank you for sharing your wonderful news with us. I am happy to hear your husband is recovering at a nice pace. Both of you deserve a nice break. 

My Best to Both of You and Everyone Here

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to both of

Congratulations to both of you.  It sounds like your husband is doing quite well, Elizabeth.  May he continue to do so for a very long time!

• Dave705
    Dave705 Member Posts: 62 Member
    edited June 2020 #5
    Options
    Wonderful news

So great to hear your husband is doing well! I know it is no fun of a recovery,but he can do it. I am starting my 3rd week out since radiation. Still have little bit of mouth pain, so hoping this week things get better. No taste yet but it will come. You are correct that everyone on here is very supportive. Wishing you guys well in the coming months.

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Dave705 said:

Wonderful news

So great to hear your husband is doing well! I know it is no fun of a recovery,but he can do it. I am starting my 3rd week out since radiation. Still have little bit of mouth pain, so hoping this week things get better. No taste yet but it will come. You are correct that everyone on here is very supportive. Wishing you guys well in the coming months.

Great report

Glad you are finished sounds like everything is going great. Healing will take weeks & months good luck to you and your husband. 

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    edited June 2020 #7
    Options
    Elizabeth,

I am so happy that your husband has completed treatment. Time will now be his friend, and he should be well on his way back to feeling more normal.

I wish both of you the best possible result, going forward!!

mg

• ProustLover
    ProustLover Member Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Elizabeth,

I am so happy that your husband has completed treatment. Time will now be his friend, and he should be well on his way back to feeling more normal.

mg

Great News!

It's great that he's done, and great that he's doing so well.  It bodes very well for his recovery in weeks ahead.  Best wishes from one caregiver to another.

• skidog
    skidog Member Posts: 74 Member
    edited June 2020 #9
    Options
    Great News

sounds like he handled treatment very well. Taste will come back over time. no worries.

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    edited June 2020 #10
    Options
    Elizabeth

Congratulations to you both. Sounds like you've got a bright future.

• paintmatt
    paintmatt Member Posts: 17 Member
    edited July 2020 #11
    Options
    Thank-you you for sharing

Thank-you you for sharing your good news I am in my first week of treatment and it is great to see people make it  this site gives me hope so thank-you foe sharing

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    edited July 2020 #12
    Options
    paintmatt said:

Thank-you you for sharing your good news I am in my first week of treatment and it is great to see people make it  this site gives me hope so thank-you foe sharing

paint,

You might want to consider starting your own thread, with specifics to your own Cancer and treatment (unless you've done that already).

I think you'd be amazed at the support you'll get, if people can find you easier.

If you're on your first week, there's several people who can help you with advice on how to deal with whatever you may run into.

I wish you the best possible outcome, and hang in there - you're stronger than you think!

mg

• PipLily
    edited July 2020 #13
    Options
    wbcgaruss said:

Elizabeth Congratulations

To you and especially to your husband. Praise God for getting you folks through this. You have gotten through the treatments well and the fact he could get through it and be eating now is a great blessing. I am so glad the support from the folks on here was such a great help I know when I was going through my cancer situations it was a wonderful help and encouragement to me. Yes, it is time to just relax and take a breather and finish recovery. Praying for clear scans in July-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

Thank you Russ!

For all your kind words and encouragement along the way!

• PipLily
    edited July 2020 #14
    Options
    MarineE5 said:

Outstanding

PipLily, 

Thank you for sharing your wonderful news with us. I am happy to hear your husband is recovering at a nice pace. Both of you deserve a nice break. 

My Best to Both of You and Everyone Here

Thank you!

Reading your posts along the way really helped us! 

• PipLily
    Options
    ERomanO said:

Congratulations to both of

Congratulations to both of you.  It sounds like your husband is doing quite well, Elizabeth.  May he continue to do so for a very long time!

Thank you so much!!

And I’ve read about your success, also......congratulations to you as well!

• PipLily
    edited July 2020 #16
    Options
    big G said:

Great report

Glad you are finished sounds like everything is going great. Healing will take weeks & months good luck to you and your husband. 

Thank you big G!

He is doing so great! Appreciate your kind wishes!

• PipLily
    Options

Great News!

It's great that he's done, and great that he's doing so well.  It bodes very well for his recovery in weeks ahead.  Best wishes from one caregiver to another.

I am praying so....

that the recovery just keeps getting better and better! Thank you!

• PipLily
    edited July 2020 #18
    Options
    skidog said:

Great News

sounds like he handled treatment very well. Taste will come back over time. no worries.

Thank you skidog!

I think I read every one of your posts early on, and was a great encouragement!

• PipLily
    edited July 2020 #19
    Options
    Logan51 said:

Elizabeth

Congratulations to you both. Sounds like you've got a bright future.

Thank you Dave!

You were one of the people early on who‘s post truly helped my ”spinning out of control “ mind! Much appreciated!

• PipLily
    edited July 2020 #20
    Options

Elizabeth,

mg

Thank you mg!!

And thank you for answering my questions early on! Continued best wishes for you!

• PipLily
    edited July 2020 #21
    Options
    paintmatt said:

Keep going paintmatt......

and trusting that this will pass! This site also gave me so much hope early on, as I read stories of those who have come out the other side, and enjoy life! Seems like you’ll never get there when you’re going through it, but you do, somehow. My husband finished June 3. Doing fantastic! Was even able to enjoy morning coffee again this week! That’s huge, because we love to have our coffee together, and he really hasn’t been able to enjoy it or have it since March. Little blessings to enjoy! Keep going, you’ll get there as well!