Chemo Saliva

Hello Everyone, Daisy (Lisa). Here.  Has anyone developed a disgusting horrible form of saliva called Chemo Saliva & I'm 4 yrs of dealing with it getting worse.  It's, thick, disgusting tasting, no watery element to it.  Though it was gone along with all Saliva but a great Accupuncturist followed a Dr who came up with an unusual treatment that doesn't use the usual spots.  He had lost his for 10 yrs & reactivated.  Well the treatments work.  I do have his name & copy of how he did it step by step.  Found it on Baptist Hospital innJacksonville, Fl, so those that did not have theses effected by Chemo you have a chance.  Unfortunately when I had Salivary duct opening the surgeon saw horrible damage from Radiation in 2017, cancer DX in 2016.  That's when I first heard of it.  Well unfortunately she got saliva going again but still the stringy, foul tasting, thick gross still is what is coming out.  Oh, how I wish I could of gotten reg but read 1 of My Chemo drugs had a ton of life long side effects, from low sodium/electrolytes & Chemo saliva.  Changes composition of Saliva.  Anyone else with this, any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Lisa

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited June 2020 #2
    I Would Say Lisa

I never heard of your situation nor read about anything similar on here or anywhere else. I had the thick stringy saliva during and a bit after my radiation treatments as many on here have, but once that was done and I got a bit past treatments it stopped. Then the next thing afterward is a lack of saliva and dry mouth or not. I have a lack of saliva as many on here do. Some of us on here get a good bit back, some average, and some very little. But I never heard of a situation like yours where thick stringy saliva continues after treatment is finished awhile. I am sorry you are bugged by this problem and I hope someone on here sees your post and can offer some kind of solution for you. I know from reading your posts that you are drinking plenty so it isn't a lack of moisture. Have you tried chewing gum as with me it stimulates saliva and is a help? Choose gum with as high a content of Xylitol in it as possible. I have read somewhere that the higher up the list of ingredients of the gum Xylitol is listed the more it has in it. So if Xylitol is listed as the first ingredient it would have the maximum as possible. Just hang in there with all your after-effects and do the best you can as you sure have your share of them-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    Had for years

Lisa, as I've said before, a couple years out I noticed the thick/foam saliva more, but think it was that way from the start of my having saliva again. And now I'm over 11 years out and carry a spittoon anywhere I go. I spit on the lawn, and the next day it is still there unchanged. Because I'm now FT dependent, I can't take the chance of having the stuff get into my lungs- so cough/clear my throat a lot. I just live with it, Lisa. Course, I can't eat food anymore, but can gargle and spit, and I the only thing I dare trying to swallow are the flavored water ice cubes that get some moisture in my throat. 

And yes, I figure it is due to the Rads, being Nasopharyngeal. Got 56 Gys above my chin in numerous spots. Again, I just live and deal with it.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    Logan51 said:

Had for years

Lisa, as I've said before, a couple years out I noticed the thick/foam saliva more, but think it was that way from the start of my having saliva again. And now I'm over 11 years out and carry a spittoon anywhere I go. I spit on the lawn, and the next day it is still there unchanged. Because I'm now FT dependent, I can't take the chance of having the stuff get into my lungs- so cough/clear my throat a lot. I just live with it, Lisa. Course, I can't eat food anymore, but can gargle and spit, and I the only thing I dare trying to swallow are the flavored water ice cubes that get some moisture in my throat. 

And yes, I figure it is due to the Rads, being Nasopharyngeal. Got 56 Gys above my chin in numerous spots. Again, I just live and deal with it.

Dave I Feel Dumb

I just said I never heard of Saliva issue like Lisa is having but when you posted right below me stating your issues with it now I remember reading your account at different times. I should have remembered you had problems with it-sorry. I don't know what I was thinking of. I believe you and Lisa probably have the worst time with it-Take Care-God Bless

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    edited June 2020 #5
    Russ

Not a problem, my friend. I have not let the saliva issue impact my life at all, and have not suffered any consequences to my knowledge from it. As a man, spitting is okay. For Lisa, that's not so lady-like. The FT has impacted my life, though, in that taking long drives back to where I came from (130 miles, round trip) to put flowers on graves, for instance, are an issue with the purified water and pill crusher and syringe. And staying overnight at a motel, which is not so wise with the C-19, is something I would not even consider. As for the spitting, I think about Clint Eastwood in the Josey Wales movie, where spitting is cool.