ATC free for now - what is next??

annapurna
annapurna Member Posts: 6 Member

My husband's PET Scan (3 months after end of radiation/chemo) showed no new or remaining cancer. He was diagnozed with Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer. His doctor said that in about 3 months time she will simply examine him for any pain, swelling etc, but no new scans would be scheduled at this stage. But how can we be sure that the cancer has not returned or started somewhere else in the body? By the time symptons like pain/swelling occur, it might be too late? Would it not make sense to have another PET scan done??

Comments

• skidog
    skidog Member Posts: 74 Member
    annapurna

my docs wanted to limit the amount of post treatment scans. I sense its because there is concern about too much rediation coming from doing too many scans and the increrased potential for recourrence from the scans. 

• ProustLover
    ProustLover Member Posts: 120 Member
    skidog said:

annapurna

my docs wanted to limit the amount of post treatment scans. I sense its because there is concern about too much rediation coming from doing too many scans and the increrased potential for recourrence from the scans. 

Benefits versus Risks

It was explained to us that, especially in the early months after radiation, PET scans have a high likelihood of showing activities which turn out to be false alarms.  This is particularly undesirable since, as skidog says, the scans do pose risks.  The doctors will keep a close eye on things, and weigh benefits versus the risks.    Congratulations on getting past this last stage!  

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    edited June 2020 #4
    anna

No reason to worry.

I was on the forum for quite a while years ago under a different name, and back then it was COMMON KNOWLEDGE the 3-month PET/CT is primarily to establish baseline scans for the Drs to compare to future scans. Too many false positives only 3-months out. My ENT said a spot showed on mine, but he wasn't worried about it- 11 years ago. Typically, it is only the 1-year scans that will tell. Unless symptoms of problems develop, don't worry about it. With the Thyroid your Hubby can expect body temp fluctuations- plays a big part in that, and the body's metabolism.

And skidog is right. I went thru 6 PET/CTs, and received a lot of Rads in treatment: 56 Gys from the chin up/60 on my upper neck/and 68 in my lower neck. I was unknown Primary so they zapped me in 20 places/session. Rad Dr even ordered a second 11th hour Surgical Biopsy in hopes of finding a Primary. Reason I tell you this is what my Chemo Dr advised me- not to even get my 4th year PET/CT because, "Your body has already received too much Radiation." I did have the 4th year, but cancelled the final 5th year.