Scared of ovarian cancer

khoagland
khoagland Member Posts: 5

Hi everyone. I recently had a mastectomy for breast cancer and 3 months later I had a vaginal ultrasound. My GYN wants me to get a hysterectomy because I have a thyroid that is big. My fear is ovarian cancer. What if Ive waited to long to get a hysterectomy. The only thing they found on my ultrasound was the fibroid.They couldnt even find my ovaries. If I had ovarian cancer wouldnt something had shown on the ultrasound?

Comments

• Chuck Z
    Chuck Z Member Posts: 22
    Scared of Ovarian cancer.

Just take a deep breath and relax. Your putting the cart ahead of the horse. If your doctor was concerned that you might have Ovarian cancer, he/she would have ordered you to have a CT or a MRI scan and a CA- 125 blood test. An Ultra Sound is not that accurate when it comes to spotting Ovarian or PPC cancers. And if you are still concerned that there maybe Ovarian cancer involved. Make sure that you have a Gynecologist Oncologist do your surgery and not just a Gynecologist.

• Floridafan
    Floridafan Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2020 #3
    Chuck is right - an ultra

Chuck is right - an ultra sound is not very accurate for detecting ovarian cancers, and if the doctor suspected cancer, he or she would have ordered a CT scan. Fiboids very rarely are cancerous, so try not to worry about that. I had a fibroid removed 33 years ago (3 weeks before my wedding), and I totally understand your worry.