Two Year Update

kmadlom
kmadlom Member Posts: 20

Greetings,

I relied so much on this group when my wife was going through HPV-16 squamos cell base of tongue cancer. So many people here helped us so much. Thank you. I wanted to share some good news hopefully to encourage others. Betsy had the surgery to remove the tumor, which was very small. They also removed all the lymph nodes in the left side of her neck, about 30. One was extra-encapsulated so there was a risk the cancer had or would spread. She underwent 30 radiation treatments and 6 chemo treatments. She had all the issues from mucosites to loss of saliva to loss of taste.

However, we are two years down the road now. We had a clean scan yesterday. Below is what she wants to share in hopes of offering encouragement to others.

Two years ago on this date, I wouldn't have bet two cents that I would have regained my taste, my saliva or my energy for life. Today, I had my two-year scan -- ALL CLEAR! I celebrated by heading to Bricktops for lunch to enjoy shrimp gazpacho, grilled salmon, sauteed spinach and cucumber salad, with a nice glass of sparkling wine -- and I enjoyed every bite! For those just beginning this long and frightening journey, take heart. Life does begin again, with a renewed sense of appreciation for those things and people we love -- and tend to take for granted -- and gratefulness. To say I am blessed is an understatement.

We wish you all well. We thank you for the support your provided us. It helped us more than we can say.

Kim

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited May 2020 #2
    Glad It All

Worked out for you folks. You went through a difficult time like many of us but you are a living example that you can come out on the other side and enjoy life again. It is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you start down the treatment road. But here you are two years out and offering witness to what's possible and encouragement to others. Three cheers for you-Take Care-God Bless

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2020 #3
    Congrats to your wife

...on reaching the cancer-free 2 year mark - a well known milestone around here.  Her testimonial rings true and it sounds like she is making the most of a sort of rebirth.  Blessings to you both!

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    Kim,

This is ALWAYS good to hear - congratulations on hitting this milestone!

I wish you and your wife all the best, going forward!...

mg

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 726 Member
    edited May 2020 #5
    Enjoy Life

Such great positive news.  Enjoy your life to the fullest.

• PipLily
    PipLily Member Posts: 127 Member
    edited May 2020 #6
    Thank you for posting.....my

Thank you for posting.....my husband has three more radiation treatments to go, and so very encouraging to read positive outcomes! This site has b wonderful for us, as well!!! Best wishes for continued good health!!