One year since end of treatment...

Options
PainInTheBum
PainInTheBum Member Posts: 97 Member

Well, it's been exactly one year since my last radiation/chemo treatment as of May 23.  It sure has been one hell of a year!  Besides dealing with anal cancer, my 100 year old mother-in-law passed away and then Easter Sunday my mother passed.  On a happier note, the month after my last radiation treatment my daughter and son-in-law, who live out of state, adopted a newborn and had to live with us for a month....that was such a blessing.  The joy of a new grandson took my mind off what I had just been through.  I had terrible burns from radiation but with each day they got a bit better.  I basically lived in my recliner near the bathroom for about 2 months....never thinking I'd get better....but I did!  I still have frequent running to the bathroom but nothing like it was a year ago.  I have more energy.  I work from home and have had one of my best years in business.  So far, all of my tests have shown NO SIGN OF CANCER.  I have another check up in about 2 weeks and feeling hopeful.  We just bought a 25 foot rv and have planned a 2 week vacation in the mountains and several long weekend trips and eventually will make a trip to CA to see the kids and grandson once we get comfortable with using the rv.....Lord willing our health holds out.  I have decided to start living my life more rather than just waiting for my cancer to possibly come back.  No one is guaranteed another day.  I had lost the link to this site for a long while and at first panicked because it did give me comfort to hear from others who also had anal cancer as I don't know anyone personally that did.  Most people do not understand what we go through....even those that had other types of cancer.  They have no idea the pain in the butt it really is!  Glad I found this site again.  New members feel free to ask questions, even if they may seem silly.  Many people are here to help you get through just as they did for me.  Stay safe everyone!

Comments

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    edited May 2020 #2
    Options
    Congratulations

on being one year after your treatment, and being NED ! Also congratulations on your new grandson,it sure brings you lots of joy.

Are you able to use your RV during the pandemic? Do you still have strict rules regarding isolation and social distancing? I live in Canada,so I am not too familiar with situation in the States.

Enjoy you live to the fullest,

Suzy

• PainInTheBum
    edited May 2020 #3
    Options

Congratulations

on being one year after your treatment, and being NED ! Also congratulations on your new grandson,it sure brings you lots of joy.

Are you able to use your RV during the pandemic? Do you still have strict rules regarding isolation and social distancing? I live in Canada,so I am not too familiar with situation in the States.

Enjoy you live to the fullest,

Suzy

Thank you suzycruise76.  We

Thank you suzycruise76.  We are in FL now in phase 2 of opening up.  We don't have our first trip set until August but had no problem booking a spot.  The park had just opened May 15th and before that only had small restrictions like bathrooms/pool/game rooms not open.  We have a self contained rv so that would not have been a problem anyway.  Most parks have plenty of social distancing between spots to begin with, so that is safe.  My husband and I still are careful if we go out in any public place and wear masks and keep 6' from others.  I work from home selling my handmade online and I'm a homebody to begin with so shelter in home has not be a big problem for me.  Still searching for Scott Tissue toilet paper though!  What the heck is everyone doing with it??  Thank God it wasn't during my treatment because I went through a LOT of it!  

Some parts of the US are worse than others, like NJ and NY.  I have family in those areas and they are more restricted than we are.

Praying this virus will get under control soon.

• annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, and best

Congratulations, and best wishes for continued good health and happy travels.   Cancer also caused me to start living my life more.  Started back up riding horses after 30 years, and traveling more.    I'm a year and half out.  Everyone that is still going through treatment, it does get better.   Next weekend, we might go white water rafting for the first time.  Pain, what part of florida are you from?  My husband is from Pensacola, but I have looked at Oscala (?) for retirement... 

Cool

• pializ
    pializ Member Posts: 508 Member
    edited June 2020 #5
    Options
    1 year!

Congratulations! Long may you be NED

• PainInTheBum
    Options
    annie4145 said:

Congratulations, and best

Congratulations, and best wishes for continued good health and happy travels.   Cancer also caused me to start living my life more.  Started back up riding horses after 30 years, and traveling more.    I'm a year and half out.  Everyone that is still going through treatment, it does get better.   Next weekend, we might go white water rafting for the first time.  Pain, what part of florida are you from?  My husband is from Pensacola, but I have looked at Oscala (?) for retirement... 

Cool

Thank you annie4145!  We are

Thank you annie4145!  We are in New Smyrna Beach and love it here!

• PainInTheBum
    Options
    pializ said:

1 year!

Congratulations! Long may you be NED

Thank you pializ!  :)

Thank you pializ!  :)

• guyfly
    guyfly Member Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Your post made me smile so thank you...  So glad you have some family around you and the new baby! Orlando here so have friends over there in NSB.  9 months post treatment and doing well except learning to dislike the 3 month reminders especially the scopes.  I don't see going back to my job as a flight attendant now so am probably taking an early retirement package and BAM another unexpected gift this year.  My Dad is not doing well in ATL and I can't go see him so it's so hard.  I hope you are able to do your trip but people here are being so irresponsible they just mandated masks the cases are going so high. I am so grateful to get on the other side of this thing and so much. 

• Dawn2020
    Dawn2020 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2021 #9
    Options
    Hi.....I am so happy you

Hi.....I am so happy you are doing better. So sorry for your losses. Saddens my heart for you and your family. 

I have a Question for you. I have anal cancer . I have 2 weeks left of chemo and radiation. Can you give me a straight answer.....is it the worst or does it seem easier. I have 2 doctors. One said the last 2 weeks are the easiest and the other said the last 2 weeks are the worst.  I live in my bathroom on my toilet it seems and the burning I cant see getting worse but apparently it will. I wpuld just like to know the truth from someone that actually knows. I appreciate your time and I'm so happy you are doing well. Thank you

• Dodiefae
    Dodiefae Member Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Dawn2020 said:

Hi.....I am so happy you

Hi.....I am so happy you are doing better. So sorry for your losses. Saddens my heart for you and your family. 

I have a Question for you. I have anal cancer . I have 2 weeks left of chemo and radiation. Can you give me a straight answer.....is it the worst or does it seem easier. I have 2 doctors. One said the last 2 weeks are the easiest and the other said the last 2 weeks are the worst.  I live in my bathroom on my toilet it seems and the burning I cant see getting worse but apparently it will. I wpuld just like to know the truth from someone that actually knows. I appreciate your time and I'm so happy you are doing well. Thank you

Dawn2020

I remember hearing that the last 2 weeks were the worst.  I didn't think they were any worse than other weeks  I've been done my treatment for almost 4 years. I think my diarrhea was bad at that point and getting to the toilet in time. I recall thinking or being told I mght need someone to drive me to the radiation appointments near the end, but I didn't.  I didn't have major problems with burning. Good luck!, The end is in sight!!!

• PainInTheBum
    edited January 2021 #11
    Options
    sorry it took so long to get back

Been living my life and not checking this site as often as when I was going through treatment.  Still doing ok.  Yes, I never look forward to those scope checkups.  But, good news is....still no sign of cancer.  Scar tissue, some bleeding once in awhile, but nothing drastic.  I still panic if I know a restroom is not nearby and try not to eat too much when I go out.  Mornings are the worst...several trips to the bathroom but SO much better than 2 years ago.  Also, getting older so that's not helping.  But, I really can't complain.  It's been a hell of year with this virus and political mess.  So much for trying to get used to a "new normal" when nothing is normal for anyone anymore!  On a happier note....we are closing on our house in FL next week and then leave in our rv to Texas!  We bought a house there to be closer to our daughter, son-in-law and new grandson.  Haven't seen them in over 1 1/2 years.  Life is too short to not be near the ones we love.  Sold just about everything in the house and starting all over.  Scary, but exciting!  Worst part is that I have to get new insurance and new doctors...not looking foward to that as I was very comfortable with the ones I have in FL.  Hope you and everyone else on here continues to improve and have a healthy, happy new year!

• PainInTheBum
    Options
    Dawn2020 said:

Hi.....I am so happy you

Last 2 weeks for me

It's been about 1 1/2 years since I finished treatment and what I remember most about the last 2 weeks were they were about the same.  It was after treatment that my butt got the most sore.  My skin was burned and turned black.  Hurt to sit on my butt and spent lots of time laying on my stomach.  I took lots of sitz baths with epsom salt, lathered Aquaphor on my butt (vagina was just as bad).  But.....don't be scared because it was bad but still doable.  What helped me the most was taking a pain pill, Oxycodine.  I only took one a day.  Saved it and waited until after dinner so I could look foward to having about 5-6 hours of relief and by then I could fall asleep.  It was a slow healing process but just knowing tht eventually it would get better got me through it.  I spent a solid 2 months living in my towel covered recliner only a few feet from the bathroom....took MANY showers, said lots of prayers when I had to go....but got through it.  I still have a few "accidents" but nothing like before.  I'm grateful to be alive and make the best of it.

• annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Dawn, how are you doing now? 

Dawn, how are you doing now?  Sorry I didn't see  your post earlier... I haven't been on the site as much.  Hopefully by now,  you are feeling a little better.  But for me the last two weeks were the worst, and the week after the end of treatment.   I hope you feel better soon..