Depression

Options
Diane9240
Diane9240 Member Posts: 2

I'm 18 weeks into a clinical chemotherapy trial for stage 4 bladder cancer, possibly metastasized.  On May 9th we take scans to see how things are and discuss future steps.  My immediate problem in my depression.  I'm not optimistic about the future -- I'm 62, single, and have led a relatively "loner" lifestyle (not a lot of friends).  My family situation is not great.  I've developed the attitude "what's the point?"  Lately I shower only once a week, when I go to the hospital for treatment.  The apartment is not clean.  I do feel fatigue from the chemo, but I also use that as an excuse to lay in bed 24 hours a day during this pandemic.  I am working from home during this time, so I have a lot of virtual connection with co-workers, which is helpful.  Yesterday I went back to therapy, and my therapist suggests that in addition to speaking to him once a week I seek out getting on medication, finding a support group, and listen to the CDs I bought from a cancer support center about positive visualization (ugg).  So I'm working on all these things, and that's why I'm here today - seeking out a community of people on a similar journey.  Of course I want to change my attitude, but you know it's not that easy, and I realize my depression has roots beyond the cancer and is my go-to thing in times of trouble.  I look forward to hearing from others in this regard.  Thanks.   Diane

Comments

• DanW
    DanW Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2020 #2
    Options
    Depression

Hello Diane,

I'm just entering this site.  See that you posted in May.  While we all have our unique situations, depression seems to be a common 'side effect'. It's a solitary battle for me, even with family support. What is your status now?  

Dan

• br_bernardo
    br_bernardo Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You are not alone

Just read this thread - it's a bit sad that there aren't more answers but the forum isn't very active all the time I guess. Just know that you are not alone!! 

Reach out to loved ones, reach out to support groups online or in person (I know, we're in covid days etc. but maybe they meet over the phone or they have small meetings), reach out to anyone on social media.

Please don't let depression get the best of you. Remember that you are loved, and that you are not alone!

Prayers for your well-being and for anyone who may be struggling with depression.

• GibiSamtin
    GibiSamtin Member Posts: 9
    Options
    find something to do

for example you could talk to someone